What would you do - re: level 3 course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilMissEmmylou

Reaction score
So I had my interview today to do my level 3 at the college I have just done my level 2 and I have been accepted. Its likely to be 3 days a week in college and 1 day placement. It will cover massage, hot stone massage, electrical facials, body electricals, indian head massage and aromatherapy massage if I recall.

However there is another college up by my mum (an hr and a half away) that does a 1 day a week course on a monday which covers massage, hot stone massage, indian head massage and spray tanning (which i already have). Now I am wondering if level 3 in massage and spray tanning would be enough when applying for jobs which require NVQ level 3 and above? Or will most spas want you to be qualified in electricals? (I personally wouldn't be sad to not cover it - I would be a bit sad to miss out on aromatherapy massage though but not enough to do the longer course if the shorter would still make me employable)

So tempted to apply for the one further away just to give myself more time to work and earn money rather than now when I can only work a friday and saturday and thus am limited on my income. Just not sure if its worth it.

Last edited:
Hi hon, as an employer, I would definitely want electrical facials. I regret not doing my NVQ3 straight after my NVQ2, and feel that I missed out on a lot! It obviously depends on what you want to do - I did pretty well earning wise with just the 2, but have had to pay to do expensive courses as I've grown the business! I always thought I would be the 'natural' route, but now love my Dermalift facials, and my Environ ones - both requiring an electrical facial element!!!My daughter is just finishing her 3, and the break up of the days meant she has had some earning capacity and opportunity to practice her skills. Don't know if that has helped!!! Good luck x

Perhaps you could call some of the salons in your area, and enquire their opinions too? Whether they would consider you employable with/ without certain elements of beauty therapy x

Perhaps you could call some of the salons in your area, and enquire their opinions too? Whether they would consider you employable with/ without certain elements of beauty therapy x

Around this area most people will not offer electrical facials etc (although a few do) but the problem is I don't sit still very long. I like to move a fair bit so can't guarentee we will stay here for much longer than the duration of my course :o Hence I am more concerned with what the average spa or salon would require. That said, I am in the process of getting all that I need for a home salon and doing some extra training with the Princes Trust so I may be able to dictate which treatments I want to offer but I just want my backup plan to be that I can apply for jobs with my qualifications if needed.

So much to think about - my head is melting lol

So just to add fuel to the fire....if no-one offers electrical facials, there's an avenue for you - maybe not now but in the future.....but not without the qualification!!!!

So just to add fuel to the fire....if no-one offers electrical facials, there's an avenue for you - maybe not now but in the future.....but not without the qualification!!!!

Shh you, my head just melted a little further :D (No, I do actually see your point even if 1 day a week vs 4 days a week seems more appealing)

I'm at college just about to finish level 2 & wanting to go onto level 3, we used to be able to choose between level 3 general or level 3 spa. As there is not many students wanting to do the general they have cancelled it for this year & adding facial electrics to the spa course, they have asked around & employers are not bothered about the body electrics but want students to be trained in facial electrics.

You will find that you will usually be able to do aromatherapy and indian head massage as an add on later but its difficult to get electrical training other than with facial companies when buying a machine or a salon may send you on training but usually at their expense so they may well opt to employ someone already qualified.

One advantage to doing electrical facials is that you will gain further in depth knowledge of the skin that is not covered in level 2 which can only be beneficial to you :)

I did level 3 without the electrical training and never had a problem finding work.
One employer said to me that they would have to send me on a specific training course to use their electrical facial equipmment anyway so it didnt mmatter that I didnt train in it at college. And that as machines change so regularly that college electrical training becomes quickly outdated. I don't know how true that it but it's just what was said to me.

It is easier to train in massage as additional or add on courses so maybe that training in electricals is becoming more unusual and therefore more in demand?

I'd ring round a few places and pose the question.

I have a feeling 4 days out of my week for another yr will be taken hostage by beauty study lol. Unless I get an offer of a full time job... Then I will study part time :)

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions!

Let us know how it goes - from being a lot more of a hands on person, I am loving my micro current - probably because I'm getting on a bit now lol!

Latest posts

Back