What's causing this, is it colour choice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace_Hair

Reaction score
I've been hairdressing for 5/6 years now. And I can't remember having this problem before.

But I'm starting to have stripey clients?! [emoji33]
I'm devastated.

I tend to straddle the parting. Always have done.

I tend to vary weaving and leaving. Or just weaving. The below picture is weave and leave.

My sectioning is very fine. Teeny tiny pieces that I'm weaving. I literally cannot take finer pieces.

I've had a lot of clients request reds and blondes or coppers and blondes. Could it be this?

Other than changing my sectioning pattern what can I do to prevent this?
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1435582846.285141.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1435582856.967317.jpg

You're places the foils way too far apart and taking too thick a section.

Try finer weaves closer together.

As my leave?

I'm picking up as fine a piece as I can? There's a few weaves where I could have counted hair strands?

When you see weave and leave are you referring to the negative and positive weave or the subsection you leave out between each foil?

I agree with Cams, however, I find using directional forward or directional backward placement helps to avoid the stripey look. :) xx

Right I take a small section, I weave it. Drop the bit woven out. Colour the other woven section. I then take another section 3/4 of the size of previous section and pin out of way. I then take another section and weave again.
The section I pinned out of the way is majority the section I had previously woven but not coloured.

Kaye. Could you either send a photo or draw a picture of the sectioning you would take? Thanks.

I'd recommend taking very fine slice-like sections not only to weave but for your subsection also. If foils aren't placed close together they will look stripy, unless you're doing hairs width slices.

For future reference;

Negative weave - the weave that has been left out.
Positive weave - the weave that colour is to be applied to.
Subsection - the slice left out in between foils.

Hope I wasn't patronising!

No that's cool. It's nice to know the lingo!

I just find it weird it's always been ok and recently it's started to look stripey. Maybe I'm getting a bit complacent

This foiling pattern is usually very stripy, unless foiled very close together as cams said

I keep looking at new foiling patterns. But always go back with this one as it's the one I got trained with. And it's like second nature now! [emoji20][emoji107]

Lately I have noticed clients that have come in for cuts or blow drys having had h/l done elsewhere and they are really stripey but the clients are completely happy with their colour so I never say anything to them! I actually did say to my colleague last week am I missing something,is this what they want now cos I'm not sure I would know how to get them so perfectly stripey, it seems such a dated look! I prefer the more natural baby lights effect but it seems some clients still really like the not so subtle approach!

I literally do all my foil work as baby lights

So do I but lately Im worried that they are too subtle and think some of my clients would be happier if I made them a bit thicker. I normally do the top section taking weaves or slices going horizontally from forehead to crown and the sides on a slight diagonal but think I should do like the first poster and split the parting to get a stronger look! It's funny how I need to make mine a bit more like Tori's and she wants to make hers less so but it depends on the client I guess!

They're not of you put enough in. To be honest though i do more balayage than foils now.

Sometimes i'll just do babylights on the hairline and then balayage the rest, i do something different on everyone though.

But when i am foiling i do 2 panels on the top and follow the shape of the hairline!

On the picture what colour pattern have you used?

Blonde, brown, brown, blonde?

I have three clients who specifically ask for 'stripes' [emoji85] they're all friends too x

My clients are happy with it. But I don't wanna get tarnished with being a stripey stylist.

Yeah 1:1.
She wanted even of the two colours. [emoji53]

I rarely go down the parting this way as I'm scared of getting stripes.

Fab thanks. Will give that one a try!

Latest posts

Back