What's going on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of my clients here in the USA 60 minutes south of Chicago love to look at the nail art, they oohhhh and aahhhh, and just love to ask questions about it. But, they don't ask for it on their nails. Perhaps its the local folks here, I'm located on a private University campus and most are quite conservative.
I personally love the idea of nail art but it just doesn't have much calling at the salon.

Most of my clients here in the USA 60 minutes south of Chicago love to look at the nail art, they oohhhh and aahhhh, and just love to ask questions about it. But, they don't ask for it on their nails. Perhaps its the local folks here, I'm located on a private University campus and most are quite conservative.
I personally love the idea of nail art but it just doesn't have much calling at the salon.

It really does depend on the area and the clientele. I was working right in Humbolt Park before I left Chicago, and the first shop I worked in was in the Northside by Truman College. Both had the type of clientele that wears crazy 3 inch long nails with lots of colors and crazy stuff encapsulated in them :lol: but the boutique I worked in once a month in Bucktown had more of a conservative-trendy downtown business woman type vibe where the most popular service there was the "no-chip" via biosculpture or axxium.

I really do think the best way to approach it if you're really keen is to wear a design, yourself. One that's classy and conservative, yet trendy. Or, if you're like me and would rather wear something crazy, have pictures of hands wearing the classy/conservative/trendy designs. Usually 1 design on the ring finger or thumb is subtle enough.

Alot of nail art is more about showing what you can do , i see amazing photos everyday on facebook and the like of beautiful nails like you said , stilettos , edge , pipe , lip stick , 3d , water color , one stroke and much more but ..........
its not really nails is it ?
i mean its beautiful and wanted by some clients , and its awe inspiring to other nail techs or in photos or competitions , but it is not salon ready ,

i LOVE nail art any one can tell you that :D but unless you can make the designs

: quick (clients wont pay for out time)
: durability (they need to be built to last)
: economical (price per service ? swavorskis , and the like do add up)
: practical (clients need to be able to use there hands in every day life )

when you have to pay your bills , buy your food and look after a family then salon style nails are what puts the food on to the table .

gel polish is the thing clients are wanting then it will be the thing nail techs will do , i do so many French manicures neutral colors or clear coats,i hate them ..... but i do them its the job , it is not all glitz glamor and gem stones :)

as much as i bet alot of clients would love the bling nails alot of techs would love to give them its just not practical for the client or the tech lol .

This said i do thing that nail techs should spa with each other in the creative side , i believe it helps to keep the interest and the understanding and improve out skills by learning new technician shapes and the like .

i started a group here for nail art challenges lots of people joined but only 2 or 3 people posted pics , i even found it hard to find the time :) , i think this is partly down to us wanting to do more art but not having the time whilst making a living :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back