What's happening here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Si_82 I remain unshocked I'm afraid. I know the real quality of the products I use and thats why I use them.

It seems as though you have hopped on this thread to contradict its very nature. My point was that quality MATTERS! And I truly believe thats what we should be educating others on, yet you seem intent on disproving this (though you cant)

With regards to ingredients of things, did you know that margarine is one molecule away from plastic (must be true, I read it on the internet somewhere...) Does that mean we are effectively eating plastic? Does it mean ive possibly read some utter tripe? Does it mean that one tiny molecule of difference can make a whole different product?

Who knows, But I DO know Products such as Redken, Pureology (both ALWAYS been owned by L'Oreal) and Joico are QUALITY products, and really do what they say on the tin. You pay for what you get - thats a truth that covers right accross the board of life I'm afraid.

Si_82 I remain unshocked I'm afraid. I know the real quality of the products I use and thats why I use them.

It seems as though you have hopped on this thread to contradict its very nature. My point was that quality MATTERS! And I truly believe thats what we should be educating others on, yet you seem intent on disproving this (though you cant)

With regards to ingredients of things, did you know that margarine is one molecule away from plastic (must be true, I read it on the internet somewhere...) Does that mean we are effectively eating plastic? Does it mean ive possibly read some utter tripe? Does it mean that one tiny molecule of difference can make a whole different product?

Who knows, But I DO know Products such as Redken, Pureology (both ALWAYS been owned by L'Oreal) and Joico are QUALITY products, and really do what they say on the tin. You pay for what you get - thats a truth that covers right accross the board of life I'm afraid.

Random but when I was a baby I had PICA. I was addicted to eating plastic. I hate margarine though.

Seriously though are we really going to spend another evening copying and pasting "facts" from the net? If so I find The Daily Mail the most reliable source

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ah the good old Daily Mail. Factual with artistic liscence :lick:

As we affectionately know it " TheDaily Fail"

Need to put this out there, SI my dear, your profile says you own total tan and are from Hyde, you also mentioned in another post 'here in Manchester' so i googled.... I found total tan but it doesn't say anything about offering hairdressing services.... I am not saying I don't think you're a hairdresser (even though I very much question your skills from Your hatred of salon pro products) but you do seem to have the basic colour understanding ... Ish ... When you have tried giving advice rather than slagging salon pro prods off and trying to prove that cheaper is the same .... No it is not!!

It's like petrol... They are all different the main part of it is the same (petrol) and other things however the likes of shell bp and total put additives in them to help engine performance etc and also differ slightly.. Supermarket ones are cheaper for a reason and one was once proved to have sand in it, it's cheap. I have tried all different petrels and will only use shell or BP and promise i get 2 extra days driving and my car sounds happier with those 2, anyway I digress

My point is, coming onto a hair forum with a bunch of hairdressers claiming to know your stuff, you don't, google can tell you the same ingredients... Yes of course the main one will be similar they have to be... It's the additives and quality of the product and concentration tat makes the difference!

THE MOST SHOCKING POINT you missed on your shampoo milarky is that lovely ingredient that makes it lather and everyone feel their hair is clean... Sulphate is used to strip wax of cars.... Salon pro have this i but only very slightly hence why salon pro dont lather up turning the bathroom into a personal foam party. Just enough to do the job it's needed to do.

I really try making short points... Doesn't work lol :) :irked:

Here we go again Theden attack attack attack! Before you dismiss peoples opinions you should actually check the facts. Was I agressive in anyway to you?

Please read the following Another One Bites The Dust: L’Oreal Buys PureOlogy
Pureology and L'Oreal

Confessions of a Shop-a-Holic: PUREOLOGY: Less than Pure

And this is how well pureology compares to other shampoo
http://www.stylistnewspapers.com/pureologychallenge.pdf

L'oreal have mad a number of changes to the formula of pureology.

And as to claims made by cosmetic companies they are ludicrous I should know iv worked for Lauder selling face cream that said it could lift the skin a fact that is impossible for a moisturiser.

And again you go all defensive when your opinion is challenged if you re read my post I wasnt in anyway aytacking I was simply putting across my opinion just as you have.

I know my opinion on this matter and now you do too, im not going to entertain this idiotic thread any longer. If you want to use under par products like generic peroxides and cheap products then you carry on its obviously working for you, but personally ill stick to being a professional and using professional products which my clients and colleagues respect me for.

Ill run my business my way you run yours your way.....crack on love !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Si 82, what concerns me is why you have such a particular hatred for a brand of shampoo. Are you a secret shill sent by label M or something? Because that's what you sound like.

My guess is that you are peddling a range of organic shampoo, and are doing your very best to discredit your main competition on a salon forum.

If I'm completely wrong, and you're just an everyday hairdresser with a pathological hatred for Pureology, then can I suggest you get a hobby. Xx

Si 82, what concerns me is why you have such a particular hatred for a brand of shampoo. Are you a secret shill sent by label M or something? Because that's what you sound like.

My guess is that you are peddling a range of organic shampoo, and are doing your very best to discredit your main competition on a salon forum.

If I'm completely wrong, and you're just an everyday hairdresser with a pathological hatred for Pureology, then can I suggest you get a hobby. Xx

Persionista Iv always had a great deal of respect for you we even follow each other on Twitter. I can asuure you whole heartedly that I am not some industrial spy or have any hidden agenda. I sold my salon last year as I fancied a career change and went to work for Estee Lauder. It was only since then that I really realised the true nature of the industry we are in.

Estee lauder is the number one premium cosmetics brand in the world in it its own right but what many don't realise they also also control the whole of the beauty hall in any department store. They own mac,bobbi brown,creme de la mer,clinique,smash box,Jo Malone,Tom Ford, Origins, Darphin and many more they even own hair brands Aveda and Bumble and Bumble. But at least they are consistent in that all there products are hi end luxury.

I have nothing against Pureology it was just an example. I just feel its a shame that it has come to a point that basically 4 companies control the whole of our industry.

L'oreal is the biggest cosmetics company overall and in particular is really not helping salons in anyway by using adverts saying Gwen Stefani uses x product to dye her hair is a complete lie. Her hair is bleached and toned every 12 days. And if these stars such as Cheryl Cole and Jane Fonda are worth it why are they using cheap l'oreal face cream when L'oreal own L'ancome, Ysl ,Shu Uemura and armani. And beyonce why would she use L'oreal shampoo when L'oreal own Kerastase redken etc. How are salons expected to sell L'oreal shampoo when Beyonce says she uses the supermarket one! They also are not consistant they own cheap rubbish like maybelline and garnier aswell.

I trained In London with Charles worthington in London from the age of 17 and have trained at Sassoon Wella and L'oreal the only reason L'oreal is in most of the main brand salons is because they undercut everyone else. When I did my level 3 at College we switched from Wella to L'oreal because l'oreal undercut them by 50% And have you noticed when they launch a product with L'oreal it then fllters to Redken and finally Matrix.

I just think its pointless using brands that are sold in supermarkets it sends mixed messages to customers and know we have a whole generation of youngsters coming through that wouldn't dream of going to a Salon to colour there hair. Im 31 and when I wanted to dye my hair at 16 my mother made me go and have it done at a salon because it was not the done thing to colour your hair at home know its completely changed.

I dont believe in organic stuff at all if you read up about plant extracts etc they are actually quite irritating to the skin. Beautypedia is a fantastic source of unbiased information for anyone interested in skincare.

The only reason I have been active on these forums recently is because I am just waiting for the re-fit of my new salon to be completed and wanted to gage what was big in the industry at the moment. And I have to say I have been quite shocked at some of the questions people ask such as is it ok to use 9% on the scalp with tint or why is my clients hair looking brassy who is a level 5 when iv used hi-lift tint. Standards are slipping many hairdressers think a blow dry is rough someones hair and then straightening it with ghd's.

I dont remember this forum being so vicious and defensive and I am sorry if I have offended anyone but it was not my intention in any way.

But I can assure you of one thing when a company such as l'oreal,p&g or Lauder buy a company all they do is find ways to make the product cheaper advertise it more because there only concern is sales and bottom line figures for the shareholders.

Persionista Iv always had a great deal of respect for you we even follow each other on Twitter. I can asuure you whole heartedly that I am not some industrial spy or have any hidden agenda. I sold my salon last year as I fancied a career change and went to work for Estee Lauder. It was only since then that I really realised the true nature of the industry we are in.

Estee lauder is the number one premium cosmetics brand in the world in it its own right but what many don't realise they also also control the whole of the beauty hall in any department store. They own mac,bobbi brown,creme de la mer,clinique,smash box,Jo Malone,Tom Ford, Origins, Darphin and many more they even own hair brands Aveda and Bumble and Bumble. But at least they are consistent in that all there products are hi end luxury.

I have nothing against Pureology it was just an example. I just feel its a shame that it has come to a point that basically 4 companies control the whole of our industry.

L'oreal is the biggest cosmetics company overall and in particular is really not helping salons in anyway by using adverts saying Gwen Stefani uses x product to dye her hair is a complete lie. Her hair is bleached and toned every 12 days. And if these stars such as Cheryl Cole and Jane Fonda are worth it why are they using cheap l'oreal face cream when L'oreal own L'ancome, Ysl ,Shu Uemura and armani. And beyonce why would she use L'oreal shampoo when L'oreal own Kerastase redken etc. How are salons expected to sell L'oreal shampoo when Beyonce says she uses the supermarket one! They also are not consistant they own cheap rubbish like maybelline and garnier aswell.

I trained In London with Charles worthington in London from the age of 17 and have trained at Sassoon Wella and L'oreal the only reason L'oreal is in most of the main brand salons is because they undercut everyone else. When I did my level 3 at College we switched from Wella to L'oreal because l'oreal undercut them by 50% And have you noticed when they launch a product with L'oreal it then fllters to Redken and finally Matrix.

I just think its pointless using brands that are sold in supermarkets it sends mixed messages to customers and know we have a whole generation of youngsters coming through that wouldn't dream of going to a Salon to colour there hair. Im 31 and when I wanted to dye my hair at 16 my mother made me go and have it done at a salon because it was not the done thing to colour your hair at home know its completely changed.

I dont believe in organic stuff at all if you read up about plant extracts etc they are actually quite irritating to the skin. Beautypedia is a fantastic source of unbiased information for anyone interested in skincare.

The only reason I have been active on these forums recently is because I am just waiting for the re-fit of my new salon to be completed and wanted to gage what was big in the industry at the moment. And I have to say I have been quite shocked at some of the questions people ask such as is it ok to use 9% on the scalp with tint or why is my clients hair looking brassy who is a level 5 when iv used hi-lift tint. Standards are slipping many hairdressers think a blow dry is rough someones hair and then straightening it with ghd's.

I dont remember this forum being so vicious and defensive and I am sorry if I have offended anyone but it was not my intention in any way.

But I can assure you of one thing when a company such as l'oreal,p&g or Lauder buy a company all they do is find ways to make the product cheaper advertise it more because there only concern is sales and bottom line figures for the shareholders.

I agree, it seems too many people (general public and pro) are whitewashed with marketing that they miss the importance of knowing exactly what goes into a bottle. Not what they're told about what goes into a bottle.

Need to put this out there, SI my dear, your profile says you own total tan and are from Hyde, you also mentioned in another post 'here in Manchester' so i googled.... I found total tan but it doesn't say anything about offering hairdressing services.... I am not saying I don't think you're a hairdresser (even though I very much question your skills from Your hatred of salon pro products) but you do seem to have the basic colour understanding ... Ish ... When you have tried giving advice rather than slagging salon pro prods off and trying to prove that cheaper is the same .... No it is not!!

It's like petrol... They are all different the main part of it is the same (petrol) and other things however the likes of shell bp and total put additives in them to help engine performance etc and also differ slightly.. Supermarket ones are cheaper for a reason and one was once proved to have sand in it, it's cheap. I have tried all different petrels and will only use shell or BP and promise i get 2 extra days driving and my car sounds happier with those 2, anyway I digress

My point is, coming onto a hair forum with a bunch of hairdressers claiming to know your stuff, you don't, google can tell you the same ingredients... Yes of course the main one will be similar they have to be... It's the additives and quality of the product and concentration tat makes the difference!

THE MOST SHOCKING POINT you missed on your shampoo milarky is that lovely ingredient that makes it lather and everyone feel their hair is clean... Sulphate is used to strip wax of cars.... Salon pro have this i but only very slightly hence why salon pro dont lather up turning the bathroom into a personal foam party. Just enough to do the job it's needed to do.

Well its actually called Simon Paul know and I sold the business last June. And at what point have I ever mentioned which shampoos I will be using or made any reference to using sulphate based products could you please quote the references you are referring to. I don't really feel its appropriate for you to be revealing details about myself on an open forum either and I find it highly bizarre that you have gone to such lengths to discredit me if you think I am misinformed.

Well its actually called Simon Paul know and I sold the business last June. And at what point have I ever mentioned which shampoos I will be using or made any reference to using sulphate based products could you please quote the references you are referring to. I don't really feel its appropriate for you to be revealing details about myself on an open forum either and I find it highly bizarre that you have gone to such lengths to discredit me if you think I am misinformed.

Well there's this thread where you say peroxide is a peroxide ... http://www.salongeek.com/showthread.php?t=232261 which I strongly believe is very irresponsible to newbie stylists coming out thinking they can get good results by cross branding.

The shampoos i don't say you name any brand you use, but you go to great lengths to try discrediting salon pro produce.

Your last post above was in better form but mostly the ones i have seen were slanderous and in an open forum where non pros could read and think all salons are trying to do them over (when I don't know about you but my profit margin on salon pro is a couple pounds per bottle) i love them so much i don't care about the money i could make selling tigi (sorry tigi lovers, I don't like their aftercare prods) however with a few simple posts people may think hmmmm whats the point lets carry on with our home foam party in a bottle :(

I only clicked on your profile as struck me as odd a hairdresser not supporting hair care and salon pro, then spotted tan something so honestly went to check you were actually qualified to be in the hair pro site, we have enough pretenders as it is let alone more trying discredit the industry on top of it :( and I only revealed what you have I haven't revealed anything further xx

This is going round in circles and not really getting to any end point :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

ive been in the industry for 30 years and i am a lecturer and assessor, i must say that i stay away from all the main product houses eg wella, loreal, schwarzkopf etc because its a fact that they will only sell a version of the professional product in stores for home use thats a fact.

i only use products from salons direct and the range of colours from the chenece range are stunning and have advanced ingredients in them and best of all they are from beverly hills and at only x.00 a tube its good alround. I also use the entire styling range.

One more thing i must say is that you can have the most expensive product of all but used by inexperienced hairdressers can be a big mistake. lets keep our trade truly professional only we are worth it x

ive been in the industry for 30 years and i am a lecturer and assessor, i must say that i stay away from all the main product houses eg wella, loreal, schwarzkopf etc because its a fact that they will only sell a version of the professional product in stores for home use thats a fact.

i only use products from salons direct and the range of colours from the chenece range are stunning and have advanced ingredients in them and best of all they are from beverly hills and at only x.00 a tube its good alround. I also use the entire styling range.

One more thing i must say is that you can have the most expensive product of all but used by inexperienced hairdressers can be a big mistake. lets keep our trade truly professional only we are worth it x

But it's the big companies that have the big budgets for research and development...
I can't agree with you about chenice..... It's vile in my opinion...

But it's the big companies that have the big budgets for research and development...
I can't agree with you about chenice..... It's vile in my opinion...

What is chenice?

chenice is a professional hairdressing product company based in beverly hills usa. and there colour range is fantastic and cheap to buy but totally professional

Oh iv never heard of it so it wasn't me who referred to it.

I agree with the above Im not a fan of sally's because they sell to the public but it's not true to say they don't sell quality products. They stock Wella, L'oreal etc. But I dislike the snobbery in Hairdressing I agree you have to spend money to make money but many hairdressers have different needs and different client bases. Its unrealistic for a mobile hairdresser to use hi-end products because there business would not be profitable and they wouldn't even be able to obtain the likes of Redken, Paul Mitchell,krastase etc because they are not available in wholesalers and have a minimum order exceeding thousands and will only sell to salons. And as to comments raised I don't recall anyone advocating the use sally's of own brand shampoo.

I absolutely agree that there is snobbery in the hairdressing world & I am definitely not one of them. But I don't agree about Mobiles not using Wella, L'oreal etc. L'oreal Dulcia perms are one of the best! They never go straight which saves time & money.
I once decided to try a lower end colour product on a client & it just resulted in her hair going dry & horrible. It's much better to charge an extra fiver or a couple of quid extra on a cut & blow.
Apart from that the choice of colours is not as extensive in cheaper brands.

Although using a more expensive product in the end you keep your clients. As for styling products, some are available in Sally's etc & if not then there's always www.

Well worth the spend! In the end you'll keep your client, they notice the difference.

Last edited:
I totally agree with this post! Ive just qualified to level 3 and have refused a job in a salon as they use all budget colours and products (xp colours) i trained with wella colours and have put myself through two more colouring courses at wella manchester to better myself; & i dont see why i should downgrade myself to using budget products!
Theres no snobbery in the i just would rather quality over quantity!
And the advice from this site has been invaluable to my learning!

Totally agree, it's shocking the amount of salons using cheap ass hairspray that u can actually taste when sprayed! And XP....seriously cheap crap :/
I was mobile, and only use Wella, as I trained with them in a previous salon and try to order from them directly and avoid Sallys/Salon services due to them selling (and advising!) the public :smack:

Latest posts

Back