What's in a name? Your opinions please...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jolicatellas

Reaction score
I've heard consistency is the key to successful marketing. Too many changes and people lose track of who you are and what you offer.

Having said that; I sell natural skin care products with the brand name Jolicatellas, which is Italian and roughly translated means "happy in a small package" :green:

I've been told that Jolicatellas is hard to pronounce and hard to remember ~ and I tend to agree. And that I should change the name to Joli (like Angelina Jolie) which means "pretty" in French.

Obviously if I'm going to change the name I want to only do it once... so I'd like to know your opinions on old vs new name???

I've been advised to change my business name from Calla Salon to my own name - Lynne Baker, so that's what I'm doing!

I've heard consistency is the key to successful marketing. Too many changes and people lose track of who you are and what you offer.

Having said that; I sell natural skin care products with the brand name Jolicatellas, which is Italian and roughly translated means "happy in a small package" :green:

I've been told that Jolicatellas is hard to pronounce and hard to remember ~ and I tend to agree. And that I should change the name to Joli (like Angelina Jolie) which means "pretty" in French.

Obviously if I'm going to change the name I want to only do it once... so I'd like to know your opinions on old vs new name???

i like your name but i can see why people might find it hard to remeber etc
joli sounds/ looks like you would say it jolly, could you have it spelt jolie so people pronounce it right or doesnt it mean pretty with the e on the end?

Thank you SO much for your reply ladies!! :green:

Calla, is it causing you any grief changing the name, with stationary, business cards, business registration, clients finding you etc. How are you managing that side of things.

Michelle, I know what you mean, most people will say Jolly when its more like zsholee or jowlee (if you get my drift). My son tells me there is a feminine and masculine version of pretty ~ but I can only find joli in the French dictionary.

So far no, because I'm going to do the changeover gradually. My website is still called Calla-Salon.co.uk, but if you type in lynne-baker.co.uk it will still take you to the site.
The next time I have business cards printed I will take off the Calla Salon bit and I'll send out a mailshot to let all my customers and prospects know.

Jolicatellas - the Feminine form of joli is indeed jolie.

I've been advised to change my business name from Calla Salon to my own name - Lynne Baker, so that's what I'm doing!

Hi Lynne,

Just out of interest, I was wondering why you had been advised to change your salon name?

to raise my personal profile as well as my professional one!

So far no, because I'm going to do the changeover gradually. My website is still called Calla-Salon.co.uk, but if you type in lynne-baker.co.uk it will still take you to the site.
The next time I have business cards printed I will take off the Calla Salon bit and I'll send out a mailshot to let all my customers and prospects know.

Jolicatellas - the Feminine form of joli is indeed jolie.

Thanks Lynne, that's what I was afraid of... lol.

Like you I was hoping to just slowly merge the change by saying Joli (aka Jolicatellas, or Joli 'short for' Jolicatellas) and do the business cards and web renaming over time while people get used to the name change. Going by Jolie which is the correct/feminine version puts as spanner in the "aka" idea... but on its own works better??

My biggest issue is Jolicatellas is a registered trade mark. Yet I'm sure when I zip past people in my car and all it's signage, people are saying, "J... What?" "Who?" instead of reading and easy word like Joli...

Hi. You're right, successful marketing involves communicating the same message over and over again so that people remember a product, and aren't confused by conflicting messages. I think you can get away with changing the name of your product as long as you keep the branding, logo and packaging the same so that it is still recognisable. For example, in the U.K. a famous sweets manufacturer changed the name of one of their products a while ago from Opal Fruits to Starburst but all the other elements of the marketing mix were retained (the price, advertising, the product, product positioning, distribution etc).

Latest posts

Back