What's the going rate for hourly pay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lapetite

Reaction score
I opened a salon last year, I took on a apprentice employed & then took someone self employed however my self employed has brought about 3 clients so all her clients are booked by me. She has also become allergic to gel & acrylic so here's where my problem is.... I'm back to back with nail clients earning £20 per hour as nearly all are just infills. My self employed therefore gets all the facials & all the massage earning 40% of everything. she only does 2 days a week.
So I'm slogging my guts out doing back to back clients then she comes in & earns my weekly amount in 2days. The problem I have is that I haven't been able to take a wage as I need to pay all bills products ect ect

Does anyone have any advice? I need the salon to make money or it won't be there next year.

If I employed someone what's the hourly rate for a therapist?

What the agreement before hand? Did she say she would bring a clientele?

If she was self employed she takes a % right or pay you rent? So surely you earning £20 a hour is better rather than you only getting a % of that? Could you get another self employed person to help take the weight from the nails?

What the agreement before hand? Did she say she would bring a clientele?

If she was self employed she takes a % right or pay you rent? So surely you earning £20 a hour is better rather than you only getting a % of that? Could you get another self employed person to help take the weight from the nails?

I think the op means the self employed is taking the more expensive services and thus earning herself more money from the commission on these treatments rather than commission on nails. If there was a more fair split between them both doing a mix of each treatment then she would be getting less commission and the salon manager would earn more overall.

Rate of pay ranges greatly from area to area. Check your local job listings and this will give you an idea of the going rate in your area :)

What's your contractual arrangement?

Sounds like you need to employ someone to take on your nail clients (plus other services?) and dissolve the agreement with your self employed girl.

I pay £6.50 per hour plus commission on treatments and products.

She takes home a pretty good wage on a busy week and an excellent wage some weeks!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm based in Ireland I pay €8.65-€10 ph depending on experience, I also give the girls 10% of all products they sell plus clients are very generous and tip well!!

You would be much better off to an hourly rate instead of a commission!!

Hope this helps

Mwah x

Thanks to those that all replied. Yeah I did mean that the self employed is doing all the expensive treatments so they arnt shared out fairly.
In the contract it's a self employed she's surposed to provide her own clients however she didn't bring them as she didn't want to fall out with her old boss. I can't physically do everyone hence why I've been booking her treatments she can do but these are all the ones that make better money.

Easily solved. Employ someone else, give them the nails and you take the facials. Any you cant fit in give to your current girl. Also how much is your rent? If your earning £20 p/h that equals £800 on 40 hour week. If shes earning that in 2 days then she is earning £2000 p/w pro-rata, which means you get £1200 off the back of her, which mean £2000 p/w for you!!!

Rent is 800per month then I have bills & products to pay once it's all paid out there's not much left over.
Anyhow problem solved took on new girl employed in hourly rate. Self employed had to fill her own diary .

I'm gathering from the OP saying she has 'become allergic' that she wasn't when you first agreed to her being at the salon? If this is the case, then surely this would affect her contract as she no longer is able to offer what you was looking for?
I'm not a salon owner so I'm not as clued up on this. My salon is just sunbeds but if one of my staff became allergic to sunbed cleaner for example, it wouldn't work for me.

I'm gathering from the OP saying she has 'become allergic' that she wasn't when you first agreed to her being at the salon? If this is the case, then surely this would affect her contract as she no longer is able to offer what you was looking for?
I'm not a salon owner so I'm not as clued up on this. My salon is just sunbeds but if one of my staff became allergic to sunbed cleaner for example, it wouldn't work for me.

Is that discrimination?

Is that discrimination?

I know somebody who has the same allergies but to still be able to commit to their job, they wear gloves and explain to customers the reason why.
I'm not at all saying to 'discriminate' against the allergy, it's quite a strong word to use. But as I already know somebody who has adapted to their allergy by finding a solution, I know it is possible.

I'm allergic to hay and still feed the elephants! :D

Where there's a will - there's a way and where there's an excuse - there's more money!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm allergic to hay and still feed the elephants! :D

Where there's a will - there's a way and where there's an excuse - there's more money!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SalonGeek mobile app

My point exactly, thank you!

Latest posts

Back