What's this type of nail art?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ickle_Sue

Reaction score
Saw this pic on Instagram and wondered what this foamy 3D nail art is, any ideas? ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398367748.165694.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398367731.335343.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398367731.335343.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 941
Is it that fluffy/powder stuff? I know that don't help. I had some given me for Xmas from poundland and i hated it.

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

It kind of reminds me of anaglypta (not sure that's how you spell it) wallpaper that was manufactured in the 70's and 80's, almost as if it's raised.

I'd be interested to know the answer and method too.

Yes Emma, perhaps it's velveteen.

It kind of reminds me of anaglypta (not sure that's how you spell it) wallpaper that was manufactured in the 70's and 80's, almost as if it's raised.

I'd be interested to know the answer and method too.

Me too! I have to admit it looks stunning! Tho I would pick at it if I had it on! In sure it's that fluff stuff! Can't think of the frigging name! Let me google

Flocking powder!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is velvet sand technique. Where velvet sand powder is aplied on the top of gel

Ah wow - that's very cool! No top coat though - quite weird! Looks great!

I think it's called either flock or frock, I bought some on eBay but have never got around to using it. I'd like to try it on top of Gelish or Shellac. I will have a play over the weekend and if they are any good I will show you some pics and tell you how I did it x

Can't wait to have a play about with this ❤️

Ah wow - that's very cool! No top coat though - quite weird! Looks great!

No you can't apply top coat on the designs it is like 3D top coat would ruin the effect. velvet sand will last if is cured properlly for few weeks.
flock or f...somthing wouldn't give that efect as it is to big and to soft.

I've tried this with flock, it doesn't really turn out right. As the post above suggests it's just too soft, doesn't stick properly and comes back off really quickly. It also got loads of fabric fibbers on my detail brush that took forever to get out... I'm still finding bits now and then :(
I love the look though so might look into velvet sand.

I did a search on Instagram under 'velvet sand' and this is what I got...so it must be! Deffo going to try this! ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398547159.667779.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398547170.986255.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398547181.101734.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398547191.947590.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398547206.882341.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398547217.036078.jpg

I brought some white sand off eBay yesterday! Going to have a go

omg that is so exciting! It look incrediby sophisticated. Love Olga too!!

I wonder if it will work ok with Shellac? Really really different look.

The worst bit will be trying to get those perfect swirls, in front of a client - she has a lovely steady hand and makes it look so easy!

did she use the same white sand, regardless of colour of gel/shellac?

Wow I love these!!!

Originally this effect started to use Ekaterina Mirishnicenko, she has her company E.MI nails ., she sells there velvet sand . You can find some videos on you tube how to do it:)

Yeh some use different coloured sand but Olga used coloured gel and white sand which is easier if your wanting different coloured sandy bits!

Yea I as well bought white sand, but it's still not the same as e.mi, you still will see white bits.... This are mine using e.mi with thin details ;)ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398599438.268271.jpg

Craft shops sell puff paints for card making etc and other paints that expand with heat...I used to use a heat gun but a hair dryer will do...must have a rummage in my old craft box.

Latest posts

Back