What's Your Biggest Challenge As A Nail Tech?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgloverfam

Reaction score
What is a major challenge to you as a nail tech?
Is it:
1.The growth and existence of Non-Standard Salons?
2.Not having enough Nail shows/education classes close to where you live?
3.Finding a salon that is right for you?
4.Where/How to get new clients?
5.Keeping up with all the new products?
6.Lack of quality schools/Trainings?
7.Being bad mouthed by a client?
8.Being bad mouthed by another nail tech?

For me, I'm not really bothered by NSS because I don't consider myself in the same class (quality wise) as them. They are not my competition, and they aren't yours either! And I think that consumers today have access to more information than ever, so MOST clients should know better than t go to these places, and should not be so cheap.
I do hate that even though I live in the third largest city in the U.S, all nail shows and trainings are always held in the outskirts (far suburbs) of the city. I wonder if it's more expensive for these companies to hold their trainings in the inner city? Classes are hardly ever within my area.
I HAVE found a salon that is right for me (Thank God!). I'm happy that I didn't have to "salon-hop" to find the right match for me. I know some techs that go from salon to salon, and never sit still long enough to build a clientelle. I know my goals, and where I work is NOT the final stop for me. It's a stepping stone to something better, and I pray that that BETTER is coming really soon...LOL!
I'm fortunate that my job handles all Advertising and Marketing (and they spend a loooot of money on it!), and all I have to do is show up, get my schedule, do my clients, and go home. I am considered an employee, so there are rules that I have to follow. But I'm pretty happy.
It can be overwhelming trying to keep up with all the new products that come out, so I regard them with a careful eye. Otherwise I'd be broke! And stuck with a bunch of stuff I don't want! LOL!! I'll pretty much only try something if I hear other techs raving about it. I like to use things that make my job easier.
I do Believe that there is a SERIOUS lack of good Nail schools. I see some techs coming out, and not knowing much of anything. And if nothing else, they teach you the "book" and how to pass the test, which is important, but not how to get on in a real "salon" atmosphere. JMHO. Maybe you all had some great teachers in beauty school, I did, but there was still so much I didn't know.
I don't worry about being bad mouthed because I know that you can't please everybody. Some people just aren't going to be happy no matter what you do, and I'd rather those people go somewhere else. I've heard horrible stories about techs that I know are REALLY good, and vice versa, so it's sometimes a case of "disgruntled client".
I'm done ranting, it's your turn to share. What are some challenges for you? If I missed some points, please feel free to throw yours in.
*hugs*

I totally feel ya! I think my biggest challenges are:
CONTINUING EDUCATION
CLIENT LOYALTY
LACK OF PROFESSIONALISM BY OTHER TECHS
THE RIGHT PLACE
FINDING PEERS (OTHER THAN THE 'NET)
I've been at a nice spa for over 2 years now but, one day, just decided that it's not where I want to be in the next 2. I make good money but, I'm worth so much more. I have a real love for enhancements and am the only tech that can REALLY do them. And, I'm realizing that what I make now is what I'm going to be making as long as I'm there and it sucks---BIG TIME. I was never taught, formally, how to do nails. I bought books and got magazines and learned that way. Passion goes a long way....So, now I'm in the process of finding a following to do at home what I can't do at work.

As usual Diya has got me thinking ... she's good at that and always brings up good points for discussion --- reputation for that love!

I think one of the biggest challenges that professionals in the UK face is the huge number of amateur, hobbyists and people who are 'playing at' doing nails and not treating what they do as a business or with any respect.

To my way of thinking these ones should also be regarded as NSS. They charge stupid prices and hygiene leaves allot to be desired. I think nails should be done in a salon. That salon may be home based and still look totally professional.
Maybe if we had licensing or if NVQ3 were mandatory, then it would deter these ones from playing around and lowering the perception of the true professional, and indeed the whole profession, in the public eye. The professionals that get calls everyday by someone who needs their nails rescuing from an amateur disaster.

michie826 said:
I totally feel ya! I think my biggest challenges are:
CONTINUING EDUCATION
CLIENT LOYALTY
LACK OF PROFESSIONALISM BY OTHER TECHS
THE RIGHT PLACE
FINDING PEERS (OTHER THAN THE 'NET)
I've been at a nice spa for over 2 years now but, one day, just decided that it's not where I want to be in the next 2. I make good money but, I'm worth so much more. I have a real love for enhancements and am the only tech that can REALLY do them. And, I'm realizing that what I make now is what I'm going to be making as long as I'm there and it sucks---BIG TIME. I was never taught, formally, how to do nails. I bought books and got magazines and learned that way. Passion goes a long way....So, now I'm in the process of finding a following to do at home what I can't do at work.
Continuing Education IS a big deal. I know some techs who think that just because they've been in the Biz for so many years, they don't have to continue their education. This is really sad, because as you know, things are always changing (technology, technique, research,etc,.)
Finding peers is also another issue. I think that some techs here in the US are threatened by other techs (competition-wise), and aren't as open about helping each other.
My advice to you Michie is to always see where you are as a stepping stone. where you are today is NOT where you'll be next year. If you have your goals in mind, then always strive to reach those goals. No-one will ever pay you what you deserve, unless you work for yourself. Good luck with everything!
*hugs*

Hi Ya, just thought id my bit... my biggest challenge is getting clientele i dont really worry about the NSS either, but that follows from lack of confidence which i feel is down to not having the right training i went to a local training school to me and walked out with a certificate beleiving i could 'do nails', then realising very quickly i didnt know much, i then came across this site and realised i didnt know hardly anything at all, unfortunately there are not enough reputable training schools which people are aware of and unfortunately any joe bloggs can walk into them and get a certificate and then start work as a nail technician and its frustrating as i know i did lol, i recently went to a local hair salon and the hairdresser asked me if i was the 'nail technician' as i had been recommended to her from a friend, she then said im thinking about doing a course as their so cheap to do and think of all that money you can make from a one day course!! Oh well long life the greatest nail technicians that see it more than just an easy way of making money x x x x

Re-educating clients is my biggest challenge.

For example ,today I had someone in who said she had had gel and wraps. Turns out it wasn't gel, it was l&p, but she had been told it was gel.
Making peeps aware about NSS and MMA
Sound aftercare advice.
That no system damages the nail, it is poor application and improper removal.
That there are good and bad gels, and imo I use one of the best.
That a 2 day course doens't make you a nail tech.
That the Rio kit is a complete waste of money - one pot of LCN gel costs the same as the WHOLE KIT, says something I think.
That nails don't just ping off.

etc etc etc.

There are so many crap nail people out there, couldn't warrant them with the title of technician, who are poorly educated passing on crap nails and untold damage and bad info to their clients. I couldn't agree more with Gigi, something needs to be done. Maybe this is where Chocolate's thread about the ANT comes in - shouldn't they be raising awareness about poor standards and educating the public as a professional body?

I totally agree with geeg's thoughts on licensing techs in the UK .. it would certainly raise the standards within the profession and weed out the ones who are in it for "easy money" ... I have spent a lot of money adn time (I dont begrudge one penny or minute) and look forward to spending lots more as I learn to be the best :) and despair when people ask me about the argos £49.99 kit and as it looks so easy they might "give it a go" or you get that look when asked your profession .. you know that look? "oh nails.. really? <smirk>" ... I do spend some time trying to educate them and advising them of true costs and time etc involved .. I think we all would like to be recognised for what we do .. and bringing mandatory standards in would help achieve that.

Also education .. agree with Kelly .. its all too easy to get a certificate and go off "doing nails" .. when I see some of the nails that come my way I could cry .. and again as geeg says these people charge such silly bloody money and force a mini price war in certain areas.

I dont profess to have all the answers .. I am still on the bottom few rungs of a ladder that i hope to climb all the way up lol but I love this profession and feel so passionate about it and would do anything I could to help it.
Thats my little bit :)

Jo xx

The biggest challenge in my eyes is the need for safety officials to realize a lot of damage is being caused by unsafe and unsanitary so called technicians wanting to make a quick buck at the cost of incorrect products and lack of training and damage.

I have seen a lot of new clients with damage to their natural nails due to incorrect knowledge of chemical products and NSS salons.

We all love our job and part of it is to ensure our clients are looked after we should worry about the NSS salons and ones that open due to having one maybe two days training.

The good news is that the Health and safety officials are starting to realise that nails are in a league of their own and it needs sorting out.

Licencing is also a great idea but will be a while coming.

America has the right idea - certain amount of hours training and regular exams to ensure your work is up to standards.

My mega challenge is going to be my next port of training the masters, l for one love challenges and l know im not the only one ;)

I'm fairly new to the business, and my biggest challenge is BELIEVING in my work. Every time someone would break a nail I would chock it up to be caused my inferior work. As I work on people more and see tons of GOOD results from many clients, I am starting to realize that it's not always my fault that someone breaks a nail, and oh what a relief that is.

smiler13334 said:
America has the right idea - certain amount of hours training and regular exams to ensure your work is up to standards.
One of the biggest problems the American technicians face is that Nails now seem to be all about passing exams and less about actually doing great nails. I am shocked when I see so many new technicians who have passed their state boards with flying colours say they haven't a clue how ro do beautiful nails on the Beauty Tech site in the US.

America has half the right idea ... now they need to re focus on the other half.

cassiec01 said:
I'm fairly new to the business, and my biggest challenge is BELIEVING in my work. Every time someone would break a nail I would chock it up to be caused my inferior work. As I work on people more and see tons of GOOD results from many clients, I am starting to realize that it's not always my fault that someone breaks a nail, and oh what a relief that is.
ditto :)

geeg said:
One of the biggest problems the American technicians face is that Nails now seem to be all about passing exams and less about actually doing great nails. I am shocked when I see so many new technicians who have passed their state boards with flying colours say they haven't a clue how ro do beautiful nails on the Beauty Tech site in the US.

America has half the right idea ... now they need to re focus on the other half.
That's because, sadly, our US schools FOCUS on passing State Board exams, not making great techs. I went to school for hair and obtained my license in 1999. I learned to do nails by using Backscatchers Extreme Dip a month before I graduated. The nail chapter was hardly a helper and was barely touched upon. By the time I was out of school for 6 mos to a year, I had taught myself L&P. 5 years later, I'm a cosmetologist working at a Spa with the most experience and knowledge about nails, products and know-how. When I first started there, I couldn't even do a sculpt. A lady came in one day and wanted no tips-----sculpts only. No one else, including me, could do them but, I sat down used what I had read and did it.......came out better than tips. I would love to go to a show or hands on class but, very seldom have the time to travel outside my state to attend one. People knock our jobs all day every day but it takes special people to read a magazine or see work and apply it. This is not just my job but, my passion and the sad part is, with all the nail techs in this city, you can only find people who feel the same way on the internet. But passion for the work is what separates a so-so tech from a good from a GREAT one, IMO.

geeg said:

Nail schools here in the US really DO put a lot of emphasis on "book work", and theory. As we like to say, they "Teach The Test", NOT how to do nails. Since nail techs HAVE to be liscensed, and everything is strictly regulated, in school it's all about the text book. Which is fine, but they spend very little time teaching you hands on (depening on the instructor you get). It's all about passing the test, and once you receive that liscense in the mail, you feel like you've made it, but when it comes time to get in the salon and work, you have no skills! Most of us learn how to REALLY do nails from other techs, videos, Continuing Education classes, and Manufacturer's. But I have to say I don't think it's a just a USA thing. I'm sure some techs feel like they come out of school not knowing how to do nails all over the world.

mgloverfam said:
What is a major challenge to you as a nail tech?
Is it:
1.The growth and existence of Non-Standard Salons?
2.Not having enough Nail shows/education classes close to where you live?
3.Finding a salon that is right for you?
4.Where/How to get new clients?
5.Keeping up with all the new products?
6.Lack of quality schools/Trainings?
7.Being bad mouthed by a client?
8.Being bad mouthed by another nail tech?

For me, I'm not really bothered by NSS because I don't consider myself in the same class (quality wise) as them. They are not my competition, and they aren't yours either! And I think that consumers today have access to more information than ever, so MOST clients should know better than t go to these places, and should not be so cheap.
I do hate that even though I live in the third largest city in the U.S, all nail shows and trainings are always held in the outskirts (far suburbs) of the city. I wonder if it's more expensive for these companies to hold their trainings in the inner city? Classes are hardly ever within my area.
I HAVE found a salon that is right for me (Thank God!). I'm happy that I didn't have to "salon-hop" to find the right match for me. I know some techs that go from salon to salon, and never sit still long enough to build a clientelle. I know my goals, and where I work is NOT the final stop for me. It's a stepping stone to something better, and I pray that that BETTER is coming really soon...LOL!
I'm fortunate that my job handles all Advertising and Marketing (and they spend a loooot of money on it!), and all I have to do is show up, get my schedule, do my clients, and go home. I am considered an employee, so there are rules that I have to follow. But I'm pretty happy.
It can be overwhelming trying to keep up with all the new products that come out, so I regard them with a careful eye. Otherwise I'd be broke! And stuck with a bunch of stuff I don't want! LOL!! I'll pretty much only try something if I hear other techs raving about it. I like to use things that make my job easier.
I do Believe that there is a SERIOUS lack of good Nail schools. I see some techs coming out, and not knowing much of anything. And if nothing else, they teach you the "book" and how to pass the test, which is important, but not how to get on in a real "salon" atmosphere. JMHO. Maybe you all had some great teachers in beauty school, I did, but there was still so much I didn't know.
I don't worry about being bad mouthed because I know that you can't please everybody. Some people just aren't going to be happy no matter what you do, and I'd rather those people go somewhere else. I've heard horrible stories about techs that I know are REALLY good, and vice versa, so it's sometimes a case of "disgruntled client".
I'm done ranting, it's your turn to share. What are some challenges for you? If I missed some points, please feel free to throw yours in.
*hugs*
I have told this story to a few people and they have giggled, but at the time it was defiantly the biggest challenge I have ever faced in all my time in the industry..
Along time ago when I had just qualified and made a start building my client base by going mobile a lady client phoned and booked an appointment for a full set of gel nails.. I booked her in for the evening and off I went.... Quite happy and confident in my new career. I knocked on the door and a young boy say about 8 years old led me threw a hall way and down some stairs into a cellar where a lady who I can only describe without being too rude was sat in a corner looking very much like jabba the hut off star wars... I looked around the pitch-black room and wall to wall were sat her family and friends Smoking what I believe to be pott. I looked in disbelief at the women who I could see as I got closer was covered in tattoos from head to toe including her hands. She literally kicked a footstool at me and said ' DO MY NAILS ON THAT' .... I was scared to death and in the back of my mind I wanted to say No I won’t.. But I Sat on the floor and did the best set of nails my shaking hands could do as her family behind me joked and giggled.... Even as a youngster I was not shy or unconfident but I was petrified that evening.. But I ll tell you this I did that set and It made me strong ready for anything they’re after........ But one hting is to be learned by this story .. Mobile techs PLEASE be careful where you go on appointments and always tell a friend of the address you are going to and the time you expect to be back, and always try and carry a mobile ...

Latest posts

Back