What's your experience with spa work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieE

Reaction score
I am a self-employed makeup artist and have built a nice steady income, with most of my bookings being bridal make-up. I am qualified in a number of beauty and holistic treatments-some of those qualifications are through college and the rest through day courses. However, I have not done my level 3 beauty training. I would also like to add I am now 32 years old.

For some time now, I have felt very drawn to massage, and recently applied to a spa. I did not think I would get the job as I am not level 3 trained. But I had an interview last week, and the spa said I had the right personality, attitude and would love to offer me a position-but they do want me to complete my level 3 beauty first. So I have now applied to college.

My family think I am a little crazy, cause I have made a nice little business through my make-up work. But as I said I just feel so drawn to doing massage. I feel like it's a heart and head situation.

Please could I ask if anyone here has experienced spa work? I do understand its hard work. But any information on experiences would be appreciated.

Also any advice would be appreciated too. Thank you. :)

Hello.

Not got any experience in spa work however I'm 3 weeks away from completing my level 3! And it's been so worth it, learning massage has been really good, I've learnt about all aspects of the body, how lifestyle and diet etc can really affect the body. Plus I've really enjoyed using aromatherapy oils and learning different massage movements.

I say go for it, it will be another treatment you could offer mobile if you decided you didn't want to work in a spa. It is hard, massage can get tiring after a few done in one day but it's enjoyable and I've felt like I've really helped people with massage.

Good luck if our decide to go ahead with your level 3!

sent from my Samsung s4 mini

Hi!

I worked in a spa for 4 years. Personally, I didn't take to it at all. This was mainly because I'm much more of a 'beauty' girl. I've never particularly enjoyed massage and facials, but needs must when there's bills to pay! I always found the pay was much better, as opposed to salon work. There were a lot of new job opportunities (advanced therapist, senior therapist, head therapist etc) and it definitely helped me to grow as a therapist. The experience I gained from working there is invaluable, so I'm grateful for that. I learnt to deal with the most difficult of clients, which comes in handy now.

The advice I would give to you, is if you really have a passion for massage, complete your level 3 and then continue on some more advanced massage courses. Deep tissue, aromatherapy etc. The amount of massage you will be given in a spa is ridicules. I used to do between 5-8 hours worth a day. I now despise massage! It would be a shame for you to loose your passion for massage because of this. It's very much like a conveyer belt. You don't get to get to know clients, do a thorough consultation, have a proper chat with them.

If you've already built up a client base with your make up I'm sure you will be able to do the same with your massage! 😊 good luck xxx

Thank you so much to you both! Both really helpful advice and comments.

I went for my interview for level 3 beauty at college early this afternoon. I think I will be going ahead. Thanks again!! :biggrin:

Aww your very welcome! And good luck with your level 3! :)

sent from my Samsung s4 mini

Latest posts

Back