Wheat and Dairy intolerance recipes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florriedee

Reaction score
Hi All

I imagine this may have already been asked but I was wondering if anyone had any recipes for cakes or sweet things for someone who is wheat and dairy intolerant. I would prefer it to be a cake of some form as they are more mobile as it were (ie I can take it in to work)

One of the trustees at the charity I work for can't have either of these and I absolutely LOVE him so I wanted to make him something yummy (I am going through a domestic phase, don't worry it won't last!) I made some rock cakes (cos they are easy and yummy) the other day for a colleague who's birthday it was and poor Ed had to sit and watch everyone eating them and I feel terrible (although silly man, fancy being wheat AND dairy intolerant! Its just bad planning!) so I have made some for him specially with gluten free flour and dairy free margarine and to be honest they are a bit gross. Still edible but not nearly as nice as the originals (having said that Eddie didn't have any of the 'real' ones so he won't know but I do!)

So does anyone know of any good things to make (and easy please) or does anyone have a preference for the flour or what have you? I used Dove Farm self-raising wheat free flour and Pure (brand name) sunflower margarine (ugh I hate marge!) and I wonder if either of these may have been the reason/could be improved upon? I was also lazy and didn't make the flour and butter into breadcrumbs first, I cheated and creamed the sugar and butter then added the egg flour and raisins and I wonder if that makes a difference? Are there any master (or mistress) bakers out there who can tell me?

Sorry it is so long winded but I thought you should all know the FULL story! Lol!

Thanks in advance for any help and for not being bored to tears and managing to get this far!

Love you all!

Lx

sorry nope, but I am wheat and dairy intolerant and their are some lovely coconut biscuits you can buy from co-op and tescos, have a thin layer of dark chocolate on the bottom and are bloody lovely. definitely wheat and gluten free, not sure about dairy though.

Sorry, can't help but your post did make me chuckle!

Hi Lucy, the flour and marg you have a re probably the best to be honest, although the Wheat free flour tends to need less liquid in a mixture as it is less absorbant. My son is wheat and dairy allergic (and soya too) and I have had various results with my baking! TBH whatever you make probably won't have as good a texture and taste as the 'normal' stuff, but your friend will be used to it.
I use a fantastic website www.dairyfreeuk.com although this is primarily for people with a problem with Dairy foods many members have multiplee allergies and there are some good tried and tested recipes on their site.

It really is lovely that you are taking the time and effort....not many people think to!

I hope that helps, Lou xx

Hi All

Thank you so much for your advice all. Eddie loved the cakes (and ans someone said, you can't miss what you haven't had, or words to that effect!)

It must be awful being wheat, dairy AND soya intolerant! What does the poor chap eat? Fruit, veg and meat? Although I suppose it must make you so ill that you aren't going to be in a hurry to eat it I guess. I am allergic to alcohol (really makes me sick after about 20 minutes) so I don't drink, which ppl are forever sympathising with me about. Its great, I get free sympathy without really having anything to complain about! Lol! It does worry people a bit though - they all seem to think I am a closet alcoholic! Ah well, what can you do?

Thank you again everyone, I'll keep experimenting - poor Ed is going to be very bored of eating cakes - or he'll be really fat, one or the other!

Lx

Lx

Latest posts

Back