Wheelchair access

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isabella

Reaction score
I am a Nail tech in a wheelchair , do you think now that so many more nail techs are in wheelchairs, that companies or training places should begin to cater for us?
I have missed out on courses because there are no disabled facilities. I love my training days and before I book I have to check it out first. Luckily Red 10 are brill at this xx

HI!!
I’m a wheelie nail tech as well!
In my country there seems like middle age in the nail industry, if U are on wheels U are a bother not an asset to the companies.
I have specialized my salon on disabled clients and most wheelies love that they are treated by someone who knows how tuff the life is on hands and nails.
So we just have to carry on.
Best luck to U

Hi, in the UK there is legislation which means that companies who provide public access such as shops, salons etc have to make reasonable adjustments to allow for disabled access to their services. This doesnt mean that they have to spend thousands of pounds on ramps and lifts, it could just be something as simple as offering home visits for their services, but what it boils down to is that a training provider should not be turning you away because you cant access their building, they should be making provisions to accommodate you even if that means a tutor coming to your house.

I am salon based but I do offer mobile appointments for people who have difficulty accessing the salon. We have two steps up to the front door of the shop, then there's another step into the nail/waxing room and as a small business we cant afford the adjustments to make it wheelchair accessible, but I'm more than happy to provide mobile appointments in such cases.

If a training provider or salon turns you away for reasons connected with accessibility you might want to bring the Equality Act 2010 to their attention as they are actually breaking the law

I'm sorry you've had to miss out on training opportunities because of your wheelchair. I am setting up a home salon as I don't want to do mobile but I would be happy to do a home visit to someone who found it difficult to get to me xx

In Australia businesses (new) providing a service need to be wheelchair friendly and provide a disabled toilet.

Its the same in Louisiana, USA. Must provide handicap access to facility and toilet areas. It's why I haven't opened up at my home yet. Even tho my grandma was in a chair and had no problems, lol. It's an inch or three under regulations. Frustrating, as I DO go mobile for my handicap friends, anyway, to save them travel trouble, so they've no need to come to my house. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

yep same here in sunny ! Ireland all public/new buildings have to be wheelchair accessible.

only right too.

Latest posts

Back