Where am I going wrong with Gelish removal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenfleur

Reaction score
hi all,
im having problems with gelish removal and hoping someone may be able to help. so I start by taking the shine off the gelish, then soak in the gelish removal solution, wrap in foil and leave for 15 mins. however it doesnt lift off and takes several attempts before coming off? its really getting me down as the removal is taking longer than the application. please help!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Hi when I remove gelish I too use the harmony soak off and use with magi foils saturate the pad and in heated mitts for 10 mins and most of the gelish lifts off the nail plate. Depending on how many layers sometimes it may need a few more minutes but mist of the time it never goes over 15 minutes xx
HTH x

Hi, I've been using gelish for a few months now and the removal is getting easier and easier. I've found that you don't need to buff the top layer, pour some gelish soak off remover into the lid and rip small pieces off a cotton wool ball big enough to cover the nail. Dip in the remover and place on nail. Wrap in foil and leave for 10 mins. Remove one at a time a scrape off with a cuticle stick

The main thing i've found that makes things go quicker is heat:) Acetone works faster in heat, use a blanket, gloves, heated mitts, hot water bottle... anything to warm things up!

DO NOT MIX ACETONE BASED PRODUCTS WITH ELECTRIC EG HEATED MITTS - HIGHLY FLAMMABLE AND COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO WIRES INSIDE MITTENS. You don't want to shock your clients!

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

As someone else said, do not buff off the topcoat - its quicker if you don't. One piece of cotton wool is more than enough for a whole hand. I use a pump dispenser and hairdressing foil. Remove one wrap at a time so the product doesn't reset.

Personally, I find D-Solve much quicker than Harmony Remover and much much cheaper.

Just to add, for some reason I had been curing my Foundation coat for 30 seconds (LED) and was struggling with removals; spoke to my trainer who said to only cure Foundation for 5 seconds...worked a treat, now it just slides off! Unless the hands are really cold then they need a little longer in the mitts :)

P.S. I use electric heated mitts when the nails are wrapped, but I ensure there is no leaking fluid from the wraps first, then wrap hands in couch roll or a small towel to protect the plastic inner lining. There is no way I could do a proper soak off without the mitts :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I also use heated mitts but I turn them on to warm them while wrapping, then place flannels (that I stitched to make an insulator mitt) over the clients hands like gloves, UNPLUG the mitts then place the clients hands inside.

I use a hotwater bottle for heating the hands whilst removing and have just switched the the magis wraps. Love them!!! xx

Microwave heated mitts are safer x

Where do you get the microwave mitts from? I had a look but couldn't find any. Ended up getting a microwavable wheat bag that I can lay on top of the hands.

Thanks for your replies, Ive had more luck trying out the methods that you have suggested. not buffing the top coat doesn't seem to make any difference as buffing them! So I won't buff anymore, this seems quite common. I used a towel that had been wrapped in a hot water bottle for the heat, and it did come off easier, but there was still some foundation coat and some colour near the tips. Lolla, I have been curing foundation coat for 2 minutes under a uv lamp, I re did my own nails with a one minute cure and will take them off at the weekend to see how I get on. I hoping this is where I'm going wrong. I think a wheatbag would be a good buy. Juicylucy, I read that a few people use dsolve, and thought about trying it, but I wasn't sure about mixing systems?

As someone else said, do not buff off the topcoat - its quicker if you don't. One piece of cotton wool is more than enough for a whole hand. I use a pump dispenser and hairdressing foil. Remove one wrap at a time so the product doesn't reset.

Personally, I find D-Solve much quicker than Harmony Remover and much much cheaper.

I must try D-solve, read about it a few times on here now. I use the harmony remover with no problems but if there's something cheaper and quicker and does the same job why not! Thanks ;-) x

Thanks for your replies, Ive had more luck trying out the methods that you have suggested. not buffing the top coat doesn't seem to make any difference as buffing them! So I won't buff anymore, this seems quite common. I used a towel that had been wrapped in a hot water bottle for the heat, and it did come off easier, but there was still some foundation coat and some colour near the tips. Lolla, I have been curing foundation coat for 2 minutes under a uv lamp, I re did my own nails with a one minute cure and will take them off at the weekend to see how I get on. I hoping this is where I'm going wrong. I think a wheatbag would be a good buy. Juicylucy, I read that a few people use dsolve, and thought about trying it, but I wasn't sure about mixing systems?

Its sounds like it might have more to do with application, with gelish you have to make sure the foundation is super thin, because of its thick consistency this is quite hard to do, so you need to use like a scrubbing action, one dip in the bottle should do all 5 nails, apply it first down the center of each nail, then go back to the first nail and scrub and then paint down from cuticle to free edge and cap. This way you should get a nice thin coat.

And you only need to cure the foundation coat for 1 min.

Agree but when your mobile its not always possible, I have actually come across the odd client not owning a microwave, (I know, who copes in life without one lol) so I carry heated mitts with me incase ;)

Arty*rox, I am dipping it in the bottle for each nail and wiping on the side of bottle before painting on the nail, but this is obviously more than one dip for 5 nails. I will do this when I reapply mine at the weekend, my concern is there not being enough to cap off, how do I ensure it is properly capped off? many thanks for your replies.

Juicylucy, I read that a few people use dsolve, and thought about trying it, but I wasn't sure about mixing systems?

I don't think its really classed as mixing systems if you use different finishing and prep essentials. In fact D Solve is an S2 product rather than a CND product. Those of us that use more than one gel polish brand cannot have different removers, cleansers etc. on our desks, it would be too much faffing around.

Arty*rox, I am dipping it in the bottle for each nail and wiping on the side of bottle before painting on the nail, but this is obviously more than one dip for 5 nails. I will do this when I reapply mine at the weekend, my concern is there not being enough to cap off, how do I ensure it is properly capped off? many thanks for your replies.

That really does sound like way too much foundation. I have a small amount on my wiped brush, I dab the brush on each of the five nails and then go back over each nail to spread it properly. I never need to re-dip the brush there is enough to fully cover each nail and cap.

Yup too much foundation, I suggest when you do your own again have a little play, you will surprised how little base you actually need, you need to be quite firm with your brush, don't float it :) I made the same mistake too when I first started using gelish, now I keep the base nice and thin removal is a breeze, Let us know how you get on :)

I only dip once then wipe round neck of the bottle and apply a bit to each nail then go back and scrub in. I use acetone with a small bit of cotton wool saturated and hairdresser's foil wrapped tight. I usually make a cuppa then remove one at a time as per juicy Lucy (that girl knows what she's talking about). I then scrape off with my cuticle pusher. X

Latest posts

Back