Quantcast

Where can I get this unusual uniform?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Teena_B

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2004
Messages
316
Reaction score
3
Location
Norwich
Hi again!
After the recent poll & thread about uniforms, I have seen the only one for me, but I have a feeling it's impossible to buy in the UK!

If any of you watch the music channels on SKY, look out for the Scissor Sisters track called "Laura" (EXCELLENT song by the way!). The woman in the group is seen as a hairdresser/beautician, and she has a pink tunic on, which has a sort of braiding around the collar, sleeves, etc. I beleive it is an American design, as all the ones I've seen here are very plain & squared, whereas this one looks from the 1950's, and the braiding is looped & stylish (to me, anyway, you may think "OH MY GOD!"). Its candy pink and the braiding is either navy or black

Any ideas as to where I can buy this from?
 

Fab Freak

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2003
Messages
3,326
Reaction score
70
Location
Bondsville, West Yorkshire
Teena_B said:
Hi again!
After the recent poll & thread about uniforms, I have seen the only one for me, but I have a feeling it's impossible to buy in the UK!

If any of you watch the music channels on SKY, look out for the Scissor Sisters track called "Laura" (EXCELLENT song by the way!). The woman in the group is seen as a hairdresser/beautician, and she has a pink tunic on, which has a sort of braiding around the collar, sleeves, etc. I beleive it is an American design, as all the ones I've seen here are very plain & squared, whereas this one looks from the 1950's, and the braiding is looped & stylish (to me, anyway, you may think "OH MY GOD!"). Its candy pink and the braiding is either navy or black

Any ideas as to where I can buy this from?
Hi Teena

I dont know where you can buy this style, and neither have I seen one. But if you cant find one anywhere then why not get one made by a local dressmaker to you?

ttfn
 

Bunny

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
204
Reaction score
2
Location
Kent
I've not seen the video but I know H&M were selling some pink 1950's American Waitress style tops for around £10, I think. Hope this helps.
 

Teena_B

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2004
Messages
316
Reaction score
3
Location
Norwich
Bunny said:
I've not seen the video but I know H&M were selling some pink 1950's American Waitress style tops for around £10, I think. Hope this helps.
WOO HOO! I wonder if this is the one? I just might toddle myself off to H&M to have a look! Thanks a bunch!:D
 

Bunny

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
204
Reaction score
2
Location
Kent
Let me know if it's what you're looking for. Otherwise find something similar & customise it. You could always dye it & sew the braiding on yourself for something completely unique. It's great to hear that you want to be different.
 

talented talons

Master Artist
Joined
Mar 24, 2004
Messages
3,176
Reaction score
71
Location
essex
Yesplease let us know if you find it, its always good to get something a little different.

i can't say i really like alot of the tunics i've seen they just seem so boring, or make you look likea nurse. ( well my hubby wouldn't complain)

Who stocks slightly different styles?
 

Teena_B

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2004
Messages
316
Reaction score
3
Location
Norwich
Bunny said:
I've not seen the video but I know H&M were selling some pink 1950's American Waitress style tops for around £10, I think. Hope this helps.
Well, I ran down to H&M yeterday, they didn't have any tops lke that there, but in their sale they had dresses of the same description, which could easily have the bottom cut off to make a top. They were pink with black piping, and had buttons right down the front. Unfortunately, they had only one that would fit me, so I couldn't see it being practical as I'd need one to wear and one in the wash at least:cry: . So I didn't get any :)cry: again). I guess they had sold all of the tops in the sale already, and this was the last of the dresses, so back to square one! Pity, they were only £7.99 each!
 

Debz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2004
Messages
222
Reaction score
5
Location
Lincs.
Have H&M got a website? You might be able to order direct.
Just a thought
Debz xx
 

Fab Freak

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2003
Messages
3,326
Reaction score
70
Location
Bondsville, West Yorkshire
Teena_B said:
Well, I ran down to H&M yeterday, they didn't have any tops lke that there, but in their sale they had dresses of the same description, which could easily have the bottom cut off to make a top. They were pink with black piping, and had buttons right down the front. Unfortunately, they had only one that would fit me, so I couldn't see it being practical as I'd need one to wear and one in the wash at least:cry: . So I didn't get any :)cry: again). I guess they had sold all of the tops in the sale already, and this was the last of the dresses, so back to square one! Pity, they were only £7.99 each!
Teena - why dont you contact a local dress maker then you can have them made exactly how you want them...I am sure it wont be that much money, and you will have a perfect fitting bespoke uniform and look
 

Lellipop

Lelli Loo Loo
Joined
Nov 6, 2003
Messages
10,232
Reaction score
442
Location
Lellipop Land

toodles

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
120
Reaction score
1
Location
Sharpthorne, West Sussex
There is an ad in the classified section of the latest Scratch magazine for clothing. I had a look and, although not an expert in uniforms, I thought they were quite sophisticated compared to some of the other styles on other websites. Go to www.inlinelondon.co.uk

Jeni
 

Teena_B

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2004
Messages
316
Reaction score
3
Location
Norwich
toodles said:
There is an ad in the classified section of the latest Scratch magazine for clothing. I had a look and, although not an expert in uniforms, I thought they were quite sophisticated compared to some of the other styles on other websites. Go to www.inlinelondon.co.uk

Jeni
OOOHHH! I like the satin ones! 'Course if I had a figure like the model's, I'd look that good too! I still like the idea of the 50's American waitress style one I mentioned in the video though! I shall carry on searching.....
 

Bunny

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
204
Reaction score
2
Location
Kent
Try the As Seen On Screen website, I think the address is www.asos.com. They sell & make replicas of things that celebs are spotted wearing & they're priced ok too
 

Bunny

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
204
Reaction score
2
Location
Kent
Just thought - try the band's website & ask them where the tops from.
 

bimbogeri

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
1,197
Reaction score
61
Location
East Sussex
Ooh, if ASOS do have a 50s style thing, can someone let me know? I thought of looking there but for some reason the page never ever loads for me. I wanted one of those H&M bowling shirts, or the dress (which I recall being very short when I saw it in a magazine) to wear over trousers, but my H&M in Preston never had them in, and the one time my mum saw it my sister told her not to get it (erm.. my sister and I have very different tastes in clothes!)
The satin ones on Inline London do look nice, though... It's a shame the pro-stretch ones don't feature piped ending, I can imagine the satin ones getting hot, but black with a pink trim would be very nice!
Lol x
 

Lellipop

Lelli Loo Loo
Joined
Nov 6, 2003
Messages
10,232
Reaction score
442
Location
Lellipop Land

Teena_B

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2004
Messages
316
Reaction score
3
Location
Norwich
lesley1965 said:
Hiya Teena,
Iv'e found one i think, Its a soda pop dress and they sell them on below site :cool:
http://hollywoodcostumesandparty.com
Scroll down page to fab 50's and grease stuff.
I've just been to this site, and OH MY GOD! I love the outfits! I've emailed them to ask if they can do me the top as by the looks of it they mostly do things as complete outfits. If you go there, look at the masks, etc. They're excellent (nothing to do with nails but excellent anyway!)

Thanks for the link!
 

Latest posts

Top