Where's everyone gone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, so we have time to burn? It's bad enough with the amount of real colour help requested, let alone people making stuff up to 'test us out'.
Then you wonder why real hair geeks avoid:(

Not sure how to take your response?

But if you dont have time to answer you dont have too, blue did one a while ago and everyone jumped on, no pressure, no young student saying i need the answer now etc etc.

Its not that im saying we have time to burn at all, i for one definately do not, but then again if you didnt you would be chatting on here at all lol

Personally i love it when someone asks something other than the easy everyday stuff! That i have to sit and think about it.

I never ever wondered why 'real' hair geeks avoid the site now (I'm guessing you are referring to us experienced hair pros) i understand completely given i am one.

But with all due respect i would have titled hyperthetical / just wondered how you would do it.... given i think 90% may say its impossible.. it was my first thought but nothings impossible lol. If i was a young geek, new stylist, unsure of what i did was the best way... you would have made me think 'fine i wont then....' to be honest if me trying to get a little education and harder queries to sort to further educate future readers and get our brains working other than the bog standard one you should learn in year 1 is met with, 'do you not think i have better things to do with our time', i must ask why moan that the little bog standard ones that repeat constantly are there and nothing else? Surely theyre your favourite given Theyre the easy one line replies that take no tome at all!!

I am insulted i appear to missplaced and not seen as a real geek in your reply!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Last edited:
I do feel at times I almost need to justify myself as a pro and list my credentials.... my qualifications, yrs experience etc etc. As being on a forum nobody knows me from Adam. I know it can be put on your profile but not everyone looks and not all of them are genuine. I think I'm quite a strong confident person and a flippin good stylist but at times question whether I am "worthy" to answer questions etc. I like the direct answer approach but I have also been shot down by fellow pro's. I too get fed up answering questions or reading threads from students that clearly should not have a tint brush in their hand, let alone a client sitting waiting to be a guinea pig whilst us virtual tutors tell them what to do with a snippet of information and a vague picture in our heads.
Perhaps the hair section needs to be broken up into a pro section, extensions section and a students section and then you can choose to offer advice or not?
I too enjoy the posts that get me thinking and also the sharing. I find it helpful starting a thread to get other opinions and suggestions. Personally I think the trouble is when a pro asks a question a large amount of people are unable to answer anyway as they don't have the knowledge.
I know the forum should of course be open to everyone but it takes years to develop the skills and knowledge needed to be able to correctly and safely use the chemicals we do and to create a fantastic style with a pair scissors and a comb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of hair geeks have been banned, most got fed up with the endless threads about extensions and 'what colour should I have', and we all got moaned at for not playing sweetness and light when we posted.
So most hair geeks are rather selective about posting, lest we get banned too. I keep off of a lot of threads due to the fact I'm seen as rude, due to my writing style.

Lots? Only 1 person was removed from the site, by The Geek himself so that shows how serious the infringment of the rules was. So matter closed.

It is perfectly natural to be bored of the site every so often as threads do get repetitive, as new people to our Industries get stuck on the same old problems that we did when we were newbies. With Nails, its lifting issues,and timing, and what lamp to use !
As Colouring is such a huge and complicated part of Hairdressing then of course new people to Hair will be asking about that and looking for help and advice from the people who have been there, done that.
That is what this site is about.

So sometimes people take a break and come back, its no big deal, because for everyone who takes a break there are several other experienced Geeks waiting in the wings to step up and help.

So what if there are a lot of threads about extensions, they are clearly titled so if you don't do extensions you don't have to read them, on page 1 of the Hair Forum just now there are only 2 threads on extensions out of 27 so things change pretty fast about here :)

We need to remember that even though we may have answered the same questions many times, it can be the OPs first time in asking and they deserve our patience and a helpful answer.

Lots? Only 1 person was removed from the site, by The Geek himself so that shows how serious the infringment of the rules was. So matter closed.

It is perfectly natural to be bored of the site every so often as threads do get repetitive, as new people to our Industries get stuck on the same old problems that we did when we were newbies. With Nails, its lifting issues,and timing, and what lamp to use !
As Colouring is such a huge and complicated part of Hairdressing then of course new people to Hair will be asking about that and looking for help and advice from the people who have been there, done that.
That is what this site is about.

So sometimes people take a break and come back, its no big deal, because for everyone who takes a break there are several other experienced Geeks waiting in the wings to step up and help.

So what if there are a lot of threads about extensions, they are clearly titled so if you don't do extensions you don't have to read them, on page 1 of the Hair Forum just now there are only 2 threads on extensions out of 27 so things change pretty fast about here :)

We need to remember that even though we may have answered the same questions many times, it can be the OPs first time in asking and they deserve our patience and a helpful answer.

Well said

Well I count at least 3 very well respected people 'removed' from the site for no good reason other than pure petulance...

Claire graham tomme? Thats 3 my dear

Sorry, I thought we were talking about last week.....not sure if thats being petulant or pedantic ? :wink2:

Claire is a l'Oreal expert.
Graham, a matrix expert
And Tomme, an expert in illuminem.

It leaves a huge gap.
Izzidoll, I happily answer thread after thread on here, I've never shied away from helping people, what I objected to in the post above, was someone making up colour problems to 'test' the hair geeks. There are enough genuine people posting questions, without throwing hypothetical ones into the mix.
Personally, I don't post any hair questions, because I can count on two fingers the hair geeks able to answer the type of question that I would have.

The other reason I post less frequently is that when people don't get the answer they want, they accuse bullying (which was a whole other thread). We saw three good hair geeks get banned over this, so you know, a hair geek need to watch their back around here.
Sadly I don't feel that it can be a forum that is a true reflection of the world of salon level hairdressing.

I think everyone needs to give the mods a bit more respect they are also giving up their time to run this site and the problem is I feel newer geeks feel a bit threatened by the older geeks I for one feel I don't want to sometimes answer a question incase I get shot down and I agree their is too many extension questions but its big business now and if you don't like the question then move down to the next one, or if there's not enough learning posts then post one I miss one particular geek but there's no point moaning its ruining this site everyone needs to realise how great this is to have and stop focusing on the negative things and getting into debates and arguments xx

This really has gone on long enough and it is time to move along now. We are not willing to discuss the exact circumstances of the original 2 member removals as we do not go in for naming and shaming to that extent. We do not ban regular members on a whim and the evidence we were presented with left us with no option.

If you all look at your own time on here and count up how many regular long time members have been banned, do you really think this was done on a whim.

As has been said on very numerous occassions, if you are fed up answering the same old same old threads, then no one is forcing you to. We dont say, you must answer these questions.

Our Grannies always taught us if you have nothing good to say then say nothing, so just move along and dont criticise those who do take the time to answer.

We have had 2 months of this so is it not time to get over it.

I doubt if geeks get banned on a whim ....there's a lot more to any banning than meets the eye.
Threads do get modified and deleted regularly and with good reason ...some of the posts I have seen before they were deleted by the mods were unbelievable . Sometimes they were very sharp and rude but sometimes they were downright disgusting and it's a pity some of them weren't left on for people to read . That might change some peoples opinions.
I do miss some of the geeks , I'm not hair myself but did enjoy Bluerinse....he seemed to be on top of his game ( I wouldn't know ) but he was also fun!!

what I objected to in the post above, was someone making up colour problems to 'test' the hair geeks. There are enough genuine people posting questions, without throwing hypothetical ones into the mix.
Personally, I don't post any hair questions, because I can count on two fingers the hair geeks able to answer the type of question that I would have..

I wasn't making one up, I was merely suggesting a very good colour correction i had the other week, that would be very educational for most training and excellent to get us thinking when we're all moaning its the same old... I personally answer lots of threads but most of the time as I'm busy its already been said or i give an alternate solution that they could try, I too believe that only a couple would be able to actually solve anything I get stumped on.... As I don't get stumped on anything! If I don't know I doubt any of you guys would either!

And if you feel that you are above giving an opinion on such a thread I would simply be thankful that you didn't.

I wouldn't make queries up to just 'test us' thats a complete waste of my time and of no interest to me, but getting the students trying and us experienced ones guiding them along.... They never get to try to solve, they're always asking for help.

Also can I add as I know some geeks hate reading "basic questions" but rather than turn your nose up and think the person isn't trained why not explain the basics to them and ask if they have not been taught this and advise them I feel training in colleges etc can be bad the now and I feel sorry for young girls who are keen to learn and do take the courage to join a site like this with hairdressers who have excellent experience there's smaller a things I didn't learn and have now learned 12 year later from joining this site x

Also can I add as I know some geeks hate reading "basic questions" but rather than turn your nose up and think the person isn't trained why not explain the basics to them and ask if they have not been taught this and advise them I feel training in colleges etc can be bad the now and I feel sorry for young girls who are keen to learn and do take the courage to join a site like this with hairdressers who have excellent experience there's smaller a things I didn't learn and have now learned 12 year later from joining this site x

i think a lot of experienced geeks do answer genuine 'basic questions' over and over with patience and kindness, but there are a lot of trainees asking complicated colouring questions which are way above their heads and to be honest unless it is within a proper training environment with the actual 'model' in front of the teacher and student its risky answering these questions in any depth as how can any of us tell from a description or photo? Boring to bang on saying all this again but this is the point I think!

Imagine what would happen if only Hairdressing Mods moderated the Nail forum?

They'd be understandably perplexed as to why some geeks pursued heated debates such as:

Which Lamp is best?
UV versus LCD versus crescent shaped lamps
and
Should I buy Blue Sky Shellac from ebay? Etc...

And then a few Nail geeks would be banned for rudeness and bullying probably.

Just saying... ;-)

I miss everyone to! It's not the same 😔 x

i think a lot of experienced geeks do answer genuine 'basic questions' over and over with patience and kindness, but there are a lot of trainees asking complicated colouring questions which are way above their heads and to be honest unless it is within a proper training environment with the actual 'model' in front of the teacher and student its risky answering these questions in any depth as how can any of us tell from a description or photo? Boring to bang on saying all this again but this is the point I think!

Totally agree with for instance level 1 asking colour correction I think its just the way some people advise it, xx

To be honest I think the hair forum is a bit of a joke lately.

It used to not only give fab info, but a laugh too. Now it's full of "where's best to train in extensions, or buy hair" to which one person always answer try ***** (their company)

Or students/public who decided to say they're students not knowing the basics but wanting to know a very in depth colour correction. Nobody ever asks why just a step by step.

When hair geeks ask questions to make sure the poster is a hairdresser it causes an argument and the bullying word comes back.

The hair forum really needs sorting. Any posts where people are having a laugh together -the posts get deleted, geeks pull other geeks up over their constant lies- they get deleted. It does seem at times like the hair forum is over policed in favor of joe public rather then people who have spent their lives working within the hair industry

To be honest I think the hair forum is a bit of a joke lately.

It used to not only give fab info, but a laugh too. Now it's full of "where's best to train in extensions, or buy hair" to which one person always answer try ***** (their company)

Or students/public who decided to say they're students not knowing the basics but wanting to know a very in depth colour correction. Nobody ever asks why just a step by step.

When hair geeks ask questions to make sure the poster is a hairdresser it causes an argument and the bullying word comes back.

The hair forum really needs sorting. Any posts where people are having a laugh together -the posts get deleted, geeks pull other geeks up over their constant lies- they get deleted. It does seem at times like the hair forum is over policed in favor of joe public rather then people who have spent their lives working within the hair industry

Sing it sister !! :D

Of course I realize that I have no idea what happened that got people banned, but what on earth could you do that is so bad that it'd entail getting banned from a forum, especially if you know your stuff. This sounds like kindergarten to me.
Yes, there are unpleasant people on here I'm sure, but that's the same as in real life, and you don't go exterminating everyone you don't like in real life either, right?
The forum has become noneducational and boring. It seems like every second thread has been written by someone from the 'hun, laydeez, glamorous' brigade and concerns itself with cheapo hair extensions being sold by cheapo 'companies'.
If people get offended by something someone says on here, how are they gonna handle a difficult client? :irked:

Latest posts

Back