Where's everyone gone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been a member for quite a while and I used to like reading the advice the experienced geeks gave to the newbies. Sometimes posts could be taken the wrong way and then it could lead off into something else. As a Hair Extension Technician myself I was always interested in the hair extension posts but its just the same questions asked over and over again now. I do nip on the what's happening and I do agree it would be good just to have a hair extension section. I spend most of my time now in a Facebook hair extension group which is excellent.

As a lot of the debates in hair extension postings used to be about non hairdressers doing hair extensions I used to find this interesting but since completing a hairdressing course I now tend to look at all the colour postings now as I find this interesting and the hair extension postings a bit boring.

It has been fascinating over the years though.

There's not that many colour questions being asked at the min, so even if these guys were back, they wouldn't be posting either as theres not much to reply too :(

I keep jumping on in the hope that someone becomes brave enough to ask again.

Imagine what would happen if only Hairdressing Mods moderated the Nail forum?

They'd be understandably perplexed as to why some geeks pursued heated debates such as:

Which Lamp is best?
UV versus LCD versus crescent shaped lamps
and
Should I buy Blue Sky Shellac from ebay? Etc...

And then a few Nail geeks would be banned for rudeness and bullying probably.

Just saying... ;-)

Hmm so are the mods on the hair forum only nail/beauty trained? It would probably be more helpful to all to have a hair forum moderator who is experienced in hair. Then the mod would realise that pros may get exasperated at silly or potentially dangerous questions and what may be perceived by someone not experienced in hair as "short shrift" is actually because the op is pondering something potentially damaging to the client. We all know if you ask certain "silly/unprofessional" questions on the nail forum you will get shouted down and your question blown out if the water, especially by certain nail geeks. It just seems that the hair forum is expected to have a much higher level of tolerance in my opinion.

I dont post unless I really know what i'm on about, which is how it should be done, but really enjoy reading through posts where more experienced people are pondering colour questions or techniques.
Nail geeks seem to be much more patient with newbs imo, pointing them to the right threads when their question get repetitive. There isnt the same level of ego on the nail forums as there is here, and perhaps that is why people have been holding back from posting. It seems like more of a supportive family on the nail forums rather than everyone for themselves on here, and out to prove who's the better hairdresser.
I got shot down from a banned geek asking about my own hair last year, which I had been bleaching from a 5/6 and toning silver, saying i was wrong for bleaching from that level, then later on reading that they had been bleaching their own hair to a 9 from a base 2 or 3.. so wheres the fairness in that?
Experienced geeks should be able to express an opinion using their chosen colour houses without one geek in particular slating everything and all but their particular brand, and generally i think people should respect eachother more. If someone is wrong, then its fine to correct them, but totally unnecessary to make snide comments.

I miss tomme he answered more than just colouring

I dont post unless I really know what i'm on about, which is how it should be done, but really enjoy reading through posts where more experienced people are pondering colour questions or techniques.
Nail geeks seem to be much more patient with newbs imo, pointing them to the right threads when their question get repetitive. There isnt the same level of ego on the nail forums as there is here, and perhaps that is why people have been holding back from posting. It seems like more of a supportive family on the nail forums rather than everyone for themselves on here, and out to prove who's the better hairdresser.
I got shot down from a banned geek asking about my own hair last year, which I had been bleaching from a 5/6 and toning silver, saying i was wrong for bleaching from that level, then later on reading that they had been bleaching their own hair to a 9 from a base 2 or 3.. so wheres the fairness in that?
Experienced geeks should be able to express an opinion using their chosen colour houses without one geek in particular slating everything and all but their particular brand, and generally i think people should respect eachother more. If someone is wrong, then its fine to correct them, but totally unnecessary to make snide comments.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone slate brands on here. We all use different brands of colour, and I've never seen anyone be nasty about that. Mostly we tend to advise only on the colour houses that we use, for instance, I use Redken and l'Oreal, so keep of the wella threads, but wouldn't criticise anyone else for being a wella user.

I agree. I'm on the nail board and skin sometimes and everyone seems nicer and more willing to Help. I never slate for improper training or silly questions. X

I agree. I'm on the nail board and skin sometimes and everyone seems nicer and more willing to Help. I never slate for improper training or silly questions. X

Mm, but let's face it, you're unlikely to suffer scalp burns, badly broken hair or even die from badly applied nails or a dodgy orange spray tan. That's why you can qualify in these types of treatments in a day course. You can't qualify from a basic level 2 hairdressing course in a month, let alone a day.

Not carrying out a skin test before applying tint to someone who is highly allergic to PPD for instance, will cause a reaction that may require hospitalisation and could ultimately lead to death.

Applying too high a strength of lightener to hair that is damaged and over processed will lead to breakage and a lovely scarecrow type hairstyle...not nice.

It's essential that anyone using professional strength chemicals must have enough training to understand the chemical differences between a semi and a quasi for instance. How the colours work on a molecular level and the effects of oxidising agents.

I once overheard a member of staff in a hair & beauty warehouse advising a customer to use peroxide with their crazy colour to make it into a permanent colour...Just plain crazy!

I think it's a real shame that there are no hairdressing mods policing the hair forum, who can spot the fakes. That's why it's left to the experienced pro's to say 'STEP away from the bleach tub...' :irked:

Mm, but let's face it, you're unlikely to suffer scalp burns, badly broken hair or even die from badly applied nails or a dodgy orange spray tan. That's why you can qualify in these types of treatments in a day course. You can't qualify from a basic level 2 hairdressing course in a month, let alone a day.

Not carrying out a skin test before applying tint to someone who is highly allergic to PPD for instance, will cause a reaction that may require hospitalisation and could ultimately lead to death.

Applying too high a strength of lightener to hair that is damaged and over processed will lead to breakage and a lovely scarecrow type hairstyle...not nice.

It's essential that anyone using professional strength chemicals must have enough training to understand the chemical differences between a semi and a quasi for instance. How the colours work on a molecular level and the effects of oxidising agents.

I once overheard a member of staff in a hair & beauty warehouse advising a customer to use peroxide with their crazy colour to make it into a permanent colour...Just plain crazy!

I think it's a real shame that there are no hairdressing mods policing the hair forum, who can spot the fakes. That's why it's left to the experienced pro's to say 'STEP away from the bleach tub...' :irked:

You might not be able to die from a manicure or other nail service, but even that is debatable if you get an infection, it might still have bad repercussions!

I had a manicure once in my life, it was the worst, most painful thing ever (way way way worse than needing 6 stitches in my head) and I will never repeat it, ever. The same way some people can't look when they get an injection, I can't look at a manicure being performed, it makes me want to vomit. So yeah, anything to do with nails can be very painful and very bad indeed.

I don't think we need to get into the my jobs more dangerous than yours as beauty definitely has chemicals and such likes (acid peels for one.... On someone's face!) and nails people can be allergic to false nails and pretty much anything, anyone can die from anything, if correct care hasn't been taken in all aspects of the world.

Through all walks of like we have our far too kind and soft saps and the other end of the spectrum that always sound like they're barking rather than advising. Buuuut we come in contact with this throughout everyday life, and all this has been said so no point ongoing over and over.

Some of the guys have been banned (and I do kinda agree to a couple of them) but its not for us to say, and some are now lurkers. Other than that the hair thread is fine, it can sometimes get heated but someone will jump in and calm it down or rein it back in mostly.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone slate brands on here. We all use different brands of colour, and I've never seen anyone be nasty about that. Mostly we tend to advise only on the colour houses that we use, for instance, I use Redken and l'Oreal, so keep of the wella threads, but wouldn't criticise anyone else for being a wella user.

Well I hate to name names but a geek totally did this. Whatever brand he was using was the best and everything else was sub par, and sometimes this is unhelpful just telling everyone to switch to tigi or matrix when people arent always able to. Not everyone is comfortable enough with their colour capabilities to find this advice useful.
I am in no way talking about you persianista, infact i am enjoying reading your comments again. So you are blunt, i am too. Its not an issue and is sometimes totally necessary to get the message across to stubborn users asking questions and not heeding more softly given advice.
I did find answers from tomme useful as he used some same colour brands as me, and was blunt and straight to the point so im not really sure what he was banned for as im not on here enough.
Anyhow, i love this site and have learnt so much from it, I think focusing on the positive aspects of ways that we can help eachother and ourselves is the way forwards.
I found it very cringey to come on here and read all the arguments so i think we should try to move on from this, as evidently nothing anyone says is going to get banned geeks back.

Last edited:
I have read with interest the above threads and take it from someone who would have loved to have continued in a great profession, but had to opt out. I love logging on and brows through the articles and quite often think to myself what good professional advice you all give. Training standards may have changed over the years and I have always had a yearning to learn!. So sometimes,to the technically advanced hairdresser some questions may appear basic and sometimes a little silly?. But knowledge is the one thing professionals can give freely (we all started at the bottom) and imparting that knowledge is a great gift to others. So forget the may be they are or aren't qualified and make a professional judgement as to whether you reply or not, you never know the person asking may be a budding top hairdresser. Keep up the good work and don't get down hearted.

Well I hate to name names but bluerinse totally did this. Whatever brand he was using was the best and everything else was sub par, and sometimes this is unhelpful just telling everyone to switch to tigi or matrix when people arent always able to. Not everyone is comfortable enough with their colour capabilities to find this advice useful.
I am in no way talking about you persianista, infact i am enjoying reading your comments again. So you are blunt, i am too. Its not an issue and is sometimes totally necessary to get the message across to stubborn users asking questions and not heeding more softly given advice.
I did find answers from tomme useful as he used some same colour brands as me, and was blunt and straight to the point so im not really sure what he was banned for as im not on here enough.
Anyhow, i love this site and have learnt so much from it, I think focusing on the positive aspects of ways that we can help eachother and ourselves is the way forwards.
I found it very cringey to come on here and read all the arguments so i think we should try to move on from this, as evidently nothing anyone says is going to get banned geeks back.

Hang on a mo, it's a bit unfair to name names (name and shame whatever it is that we're not allowed to do on here, when the person/people you mention can't defend themselves. Just saying :)

Well yeah i wasnt wanting to, ive edited it out now not that it makes much difference.

Well yeah i wasnt wanting to, ive edited it out now not that it makes much difference.

Hey, faerififi, step away from the keyboard and calm down, getting all angry with a geek no longer on here isn't going to help you get closure.
Plenty of geeks do say which brands they 'didn't get on with' or 'don't rate' some may have been more enthusiastic about their own products than others but we all make choices on what brand we prefer etc.
The geek you seem so angry about isn't on here anymore, he was the victim of 'trolling' and this unfortunately led to a ban, its a very, very big shame but you need to try and leave the issues you had with him aside or you'll end up with stress, and there's enough of that in this life. xx

You might not be able to die from a manicure or other nail service, but even that is debatable if you get an infection, it might still have bad repercussions!

I had a manicure once in my life, it was the worst, most painful thing ever (way way way worse than needing 6 stitches in my head) and I will never repeat it, ever. The same way some people can't look when they get an injection, I can't look at a manicure being performed, it makes me want to vomit. So yeah, anything to do with nails can be very painful and very bad indeed.

What did they use? A circular saw? Lol xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGe7ek

What did they use? A circular saw? Lol xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGe7ek

Yeah well that 'machine that buzzes' as I call it-it's this thing that has different 'heads' that can be screwed on to polish/destroy/kill (I have no idea what it's called, and frankly I'd rather not know, as it has to be some horrible gory name haha) felt like a saw, no joking.
I bled, I was in agony, and it didn't help that the woman was the nastiest piece of work I have ever come across (she was in a faraway country, definitely doesn't speak a syllable of English, so don't worry about me bad-mouthing anyone).
Needless to say, what the dentist is to some people, the nail technician is to me. You'd have to pay me a helluva lot of money to enter a nail salon again. :D

Yeah well that 'machine that buzzes' as I call it-it's this thing that has different 'heads' that can be screwed on to polish/destroy/kill (I have no idea what it's called, and frankly I'd rather not know, as it has to be some horrible gory name haha) felt like a saw, no joking.
I bled, I was in agony, and it didn't help that the woman was the nastiest piece of work I have ever come across (she was in a faraway country, definitely doesn't speak a syllable of English, so don't worry about me bad-mouthing anyone).
Needless to say, what the dentist is to some people, the nail technician is to me. You'd have to pay me a helluva lot of money to enter a nail salon again. :D

Was it a nail bar who just fitted enhancements?
If so that is not a manicure. A manicure is a lovely relaxing experience which leaves you pampered ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

Was it a nail bar who just fitted enhancements?
If so that is not a manicure. A manicure is a lovely relaxing experience which leaves you pampered ;)

I know this is degenerating into an off-topic thing, but anyhoozle...it was a nail tech/manicurist (I don't know the difference) who did everything, so nail extensions, manicures, nail design for weddings/spesh events etc, and she was out to maim and hurt me by the looks of it, because she used her buzzing machine, butchered my cuticles, called me names when I said it was painful, made fun of my hands being large etc. Charming person!
My large hands have come in very handy (pun unintended) for my other, rather more interesting hobbies now, so really, the last laugh is with me. Just wanted to say I've never screamed in pain when getting my hair done, but I have when getting a manicure.

Last edited:
I know this is degenerating into an off-topic thing, but anyhoozle...it was a nail tech/manicurist (I don't know the difference) who did everything, so nail extensions, manicures, nail design for weddings/spesh events etc, and she was out to maim and hurt me by the looks of it, because she used her buzzing machine, butchered my cuticles, called me names when I said it was painful, made fun of my hands being large etc. Charming person!
My large hands have come in very handy (pun unintended) for my other, rather more interesting hobbies now, so really, the last laugh is with me. Just wanted to say I've never screamed in pain when getting my hair done, but I have when getting a manicure.

To be fair I think I needs to be taken off topic. Everyone Is far too serious on here :)

Latest posts

Back