Which do you prefer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marioned

Reaction score
I've uploaded two sets of pics. One set was done by me, and the other by someone else. I'd be really grateful if you could give me some comments on which you prefer and why. I don't want you to have to take a long time to reply, just even a few pointers would be wonderful.

The left hand was rebalanced (L&P sculpt) about a week and a half ago (and I'm afraid I've had a nibble at the skin around them - disgusting I know!).
The right was rebalanced (L&P sculpt) yesterday.
I've got an enamel on both, sorry if it makes it difficult for you to see. It's my first attempt at uploading pictures and my first time I've had anyone look at my work. I hope the links work ok.

However (!!!!!), I was at the Creative stand at the Scottish Beauty show at the weekend (asking about training) and two of the Creative techs said they were impressed with my nails (smiles, shape and no acrylic on the cuticle), with one saying they were lovely! Ohhhh, can't tell you how pleased I was! :biggrin:

Left hand pics

http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6703&c=2
http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6704&c=2
http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6705&c=2

Right hand pics

http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6706&c=2
http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6707&c=2
http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6708&c=2

Any comments would be wonderful, but be just a little gentle on me please! :eek: :Scared:

Thanks.

Hi, first of all let me say there aren't bad at all, specially if you just got started, but there is a lot of room for improvement.
First the nails aren't consistent, they don't look like they belong in the same hand, the lenght, shape, the width of the white and the depth of the smile line should be similar in all 10 nails for a consistent, more atractive look.
The fist apex shown is not good at all, the thicker part isn't where it should be, this can even worsen the durability of the nails and increse the risk of injury. To determine the correct placement of the apex, press on the free edge, see the part of the nail becoming withish? This is the stress area and this is where the apex should be placed.
The down the barrel on first nail is good showing a slim nail with a natural c curve, but the 2nd picture shows incorrect placement of the nail form, creating a claw. Be sure to "waste" enought time in the form placement, long nails make it more dificult so if necessary file the nail down a bit leaving only a tiny margin to fit the form, roll the form with your fingers before applying to give it a rounded shape a be sure it is secured tighly, i prefer the larger forms with those small apendices to really secure the forms, regular gold forms even thow cheaper are very inferior in performance, try several to find your favourites and in time placing them will become more natural.
About the acrylic itself is hard to tell because the images are not very clear.
Hope you don't find my critique very arsh but i'm answering like i would like people would of ansewered my questions in the past, pointing out my flaws and how i could improve.
Keep up the good work!

Personally I would choose the right hand, but the apex pic was the one that stood out. The left hand apex shot showed the placement too far up the nail, more in zones 2+3 than 1+2 and then a dip before the free edge.

I've decided not to vote because the pics aren't too clear and also you can't vote one hand over the other and have a fair result if one hand is better than the other.

Let us know which hand is yours Marion.

Thanks so much to both of you for taking the time to give a critique.:hug:

The left hand is the one I did. I see what you both mean about the apex. Looking at it now, I think I do usually put the apex slightly more forward of where I have it now, but obviously still in completely the wrong position. Thanks very much for pointing this out, so that I can improve.

The right one, which I didn't do, had a bit of a repair (i'd cracked it by banging it "end on" on a door) and a rebalance. It was originally very similar in appearance to the other nail, but turned out "claw like" afterwards. A form wasn't used during the rebalance. I don't really like the shape of this nail, as it is very different from the other 9 fingers, which I've tried (as much as i'm able!) to get as similar as possible. Thanks for your advice about forms too.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to look at my nails and give advice. I really want to improve (and hope to go on a Creative course this summer), so your coments were really welcome. I've recently got a nail trainer, but not really had a chance to try it out yet. I'll be trying to work on it, using your advice, soon! xx

I prefer the left....that glitch you have with the 'bump' could easily be filed out to refine your apex. The lower arch on the right had is way too severe and looks hooked IMO, although the left is a little straight. The thickness of the free edge on the right looks very thick as compared to the left.

Thanks Cathie for your reply. Can't wait to have another go with all the great advice I've been given! However, we are deep in wedding preparation at the minute (amongst all the other things, we're making the invites to quite a complex design!) and I feel I hardly have time to breath, never mind sit down for 4 or 5 hours to do a proper job. I can't just do one nail a night as my other daughter can't stand the smell of the monimer and I can't stand her moans! Apart from that I think I'll learn more by doing several nails in the one session. The daughter who is getting married has booked her nail appointment in a local salon for the day before the wedding, so I'll be looking carefully at her nails once she has them done to see if I can pick up any tips. I'll have to pretend I'm admiring her ring, so I can inspect them closely!

Latest posts

Back