Which gel top coat for gel extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The nail shack

Reaction score
Hi, I'm training in gel extensions however it is an online course. I have been given the edge gel complete kit but am struggling with what top coat to finish with.. I did a set last night and used CND shellac base coat before applying the gel then CND shellac top coat... Is this right?? If not please can somebody help me by telling what exactly to use. I have attached the photo of the set I did last night

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449143082.537014.jpg

No, if you are using Edge products, use their base and top coat. Use Shellac base and top only with Shellac hybrid polish. A gel colour line is generally not of the same strength as a gel line. They are two different products with different properties.

Thank you very much, it's really difficult when I'm doing a distance learning course x

ANY gel topcoat is fine, it's not going to make any difference! With my gel enhancement application sometimes I use a hard gel topcoat to finish & sometimes I use a shellac topcoat. No base coat is needed with either when applying over enhancements. Just make sure you refine, smooth enhancements & remove shine first, then apply your chosen topcoat, cure & remove inhibition layer & finish with a nice cuticle oil. HTH

ANY gel topcoat is fine, it's not going to make any difference! With my gel enhancement application sometimes I use a hard gel topcoat to finish & sometimes I use a shellac topcoat. No base coat is needed with either when applying over enhancements. Just make sure you refine, smooth enhancements & remove shine first, then apply your chosen topcoat, cure & remove inhibition layer & finish with a nice cuticle oil. HTH
That's bad advice.

I've read this a couple of times and am not sure whether you mean you have

A) done a complete set of gel extensions using all the edge products and then used shellac over the top or

B) used shellac base coat, the edge enhancement products then back to shellac for the design?

It's a funny training programme that doesn't tell you which products to use.

When you say you've been 'given' the edge complete kit, I was presuming you mean it came with the training programme? Or do you mean given to you by a friend?

Hi, I am doing a distance learning course and I have been sent a gel starter kit;

http://www.edgenails.co.uk/professi...ts/kits/system-kits/uv-gel-kit-with-lamp.html

I receive lesson plans to which I have question papers to answer then these are marked and sent back and also a DVD which shows the application. I didn't receive any under or top coat with my kit and want to ensure I'm using the correct products

It just says closed for stock take ATM.

I'd give them a ring to clarify. Also to make sure they haven't left something out. I'd have expected a course to contain everything, as well as explain how to use it. :)

Ah thank you so much that's great [emoji108][emoji3]

Can I ask what online course are you doing?

Yes it's Stonebridge college x

Latest posts

Back