Which hair extensions are best for short hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leely

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at getting hair extensions. I have started to grow out a pixie cut which I have had for a year, I have been growing it out for about 3/4 months my hair is about 4 inches long.

I have been told so many different things with reference to what I should have done and now I am so confused. I have been told:

1. My hair needs to be at least 5 inches long for any extensions to be added
2. Nano rings will be best as they are the smallest of extensions and are better for short hair.
3. My hair is too short, I need to have been growing my hair for at least a year?
4. Keratin extensions will be better as this is clear product and can be added to hair as shirt as 2cms.
5. Having micro rings / nano rings will be bad for my hair as the metal retains the heat and will stay hot for a while after if I am to dry my hair or use a sun bed?

Please help me :(

Thank you xx

Leely x

Hi,

I am looking at getting hair extensions. I have started to grow out a pixie cut which I have had for a year, I have been growing it out for about 3/4 months my hair is about 4 inches long.

I have been told so many different things with reference to what I should have done and now I am so confused. I have been told:

1. My hair needs to be at least 5 inches long for any extensions to be added
2. Nano rings will be best as they are the smallest of extensions and are better for short hair.
3. My hair is too short, I need to have been growing my hair for at least a year?
4. Keratin extensions will be better as this is clear product and can be added to hair as shirt as 2cms.
5. Having micro rings / nano rings will be bad for my hair as the metal retains the heat and will stay hot for a while after if I am to dry my hair or use a sun bed?

Please help me :(

Thank you xx

Leely x

Most techs can do something with 4". Id initially say go shoulder length at longest 1) as theres not much hair to help hold the weight & 2) you wont have to be constantly styling it out of a mullet.

Nano rings are like marmite, some techs love them, some cant be in the same room as them.

Keratin bonds can be done tiny, though you need a good tech, see pictures of your techs bonds, not just the before/afters as a bad tech will give you 2" of stringy bond!

Have a look at tape hair also.

Use a low/medium setting to dry bonds anyway, dry heat of a sunbed shouldnt be bad though flop a towel over the hair if you can.

Bottom line ix to speak with a couple of techs and let them explain their options to you.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Technically you can add extensions to 3" of hair.. The problem is it can't really be put up if it's that short as the natural hair will stick out if that makes sense ?

Do you have many hair extension technicians in you area? If so I would look into what type they offer.. The best for short hair would be tiny pre bonds, nano rings, mini lox, tape hair etc..

Or you could get a 3/4 weave .. This meaning most of your hair ( apart from the tbar ) is braided back .. With the length of your hair I would suggest going to an African person as they can deal with really short hair for braiding x

There are loads of hair extension tech were I live. I have spoken to ones friends have gone to and people have recommend.

I plan on going for 16" , the tech I think I am going to use has advised me she has over 8 years experience with the keratin extensions I'm not sure about the micro rings which she also offers. She has pics of before / after and the bonds.

Thank you for your advice xx

Leely x

Hi Leely,

It is sure that you will get many opinions around in terms of your do. However, I am just trying to help you with the summary of all and that is universal choice for extensions.

• Human hair are the best for extensions, Russian virgin hair, European virgin hair are of the highest quality.
  • Human hair extensions last longer (preferably 3 to 6 months) with proper care but as you can understand it is costly.
  • Not all salons use glue or heat to attach micro ring hair extensions. You can take me as example. You will find many salons if you search will not give you irritation to your scalp.
All the best for your extensions.

Here's a pic I took of doing tape on a grown out pixie cut shortest side was about 2" long obv she can't wear it in a high pony but very effective for only 100g ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1406045298.143165.jpg

Hi Leely,

It is sure that you will get many opinions around in terms of your do. However, I am just trying to help you with the summary of all and that is universal choice for extensions.

• Human hair are the best for extensions, Russian virgin hair, European virgin hair are of the highest quality.
  • Human hair extensions last longer (preferably 3 to 6 months) with proper care but as you can understand it is costly.
  • Not all salons use glue or heat to attach micro ring hair extensions. You can take me as example. You will find many salons if you search will not give you irritation to your scalp.
All the best for your extensions.

Who uses "glue and heat" for micro rings? Am I missing a trick here

Latest posts

Back