Which system should I choose to train in?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinklinds

Reaction score
This is my first thread, I'm really excited to have joined this site... !

I am currently attending a Total Technician training course with United Beauty. I need to choose a system for my final 2 training days and I am stumped! I have had a full day of "play" to try out gel, acrylic & fibre glass. My left hand is currently a mixture of all three! I must say the nicest looking one is the fibreglass (although I'm pretty sure that won't be my chosen system due to lack of popularity).

So...... Gel or Acrylic??

My tutor says that the acrylic is harder to master so I think it would make sense to do the 2 days in that. I can always do a conversion course to take up gel. Ultimately I'd like to offer both to my clients.

I always had a negative view of acrylic, but that is probably due to the many nail bars that crop up and file your nails like it's going out of fashion! For that reason I've always thought I'd prefer to learn gel. Now I don't know as presumably there's no detriment to the natural nail as long as you're using the correct products, hygienically and following proper application.

Would one system take longer to apply? Do the costs change per system or would you charge the same for a full set. So far the only difference in cost seems to be a UV lamp...

Any feedback would be really helpful - thank you! :):biggrin::o

Hi
I also trained with U.B, is Kelly teaching you? She is fab!!
I couldnt decide which system to do so I did both, I did the total tech plus course, then I spent a few months getting used to l&p, then I did a workshop day using gels.
hth's

Yes! I am training with Kelly. She is really nice, am enjoying my course a lot. Thanks so much for your quick reply :)

Hiya ..welcome to the site....toss a coin...:lol:

I think I would do L&P...I don't think either is easier that the other and the application and brush technique is very different but IMO more time may be required on L&P due to the learning of mix ratio's...(not needed with gel)

It is so much fun and sooooooooo addictive.
Are you doing the art day aswell?

hi im training with gel at the mo and i prefer l&p anyday !!

Hiya - I'm not doing the nail art, well at least not yet! There weren't any upcoming dates but I'm not ruling it out. As you say, it's addictive! Have to wait another week as well until my next training day!

Where abouts are you in Peterborough, Im stamford and I also did my training with Kelly. I decided on L&P cause Kelly said it was th hardest to master. Im really struggling at the mo with lifting, I know its my zone 3, its so hard to get people to practise on.

I trained in gel first and found I was turning away clients who were requesting l&p, so I trained in that about a year later. Now, 5 years down the line, I actually find I use l&p 90% of the time and not much gel. So if it were me, I would definitely choose l&p. Most of my clients find it is more robust than gel and it is certainly easier to sculpt back missing corners etc with l&p and of course you can custom blend etc as well, not sure if you can with gel.

I'm over at Sugar Way. There's lots of Kelly's students on here by the looks of it! I don't have my full 2 days on my chosen system until next week but pretty sure I'm going with l&p now after the helpful replies I've had. Look forward to chatting in more depth once I've completed by course :)

Latest posts

Back