Which waxing system???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnyb

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post on the site. I am currently doing my NVQ Level 2 Beauty Therapy Course. We have just completed the waxing section of the course & although I have practiced waxing on my fellow students, I have still to get clients or guinea pigs to enable me to complete my assessment. I want to buy a waxing kit for home to enable me to practice on family &. friends prior to paying clients.
We have the pot & spatula's at college, but also the PHD kit which i have not used yet. Out course tutor says she uses the PHD kit as it is great if you are mobile & also as it's a more hygenic way of waxing. On Ellisons they have the PHD starter kit for £89.00. Firstly is this a good price? I am planning on becoming a mobile therapist when qualified, so is this system best? Also is there anything that anyone would recommend more than PHD or is pot & spatula ok? It's all so new & very confusing!!!

Also how do you advertise on this site for volunteers??? I'm studying at Kirklees college.

Use the search facility at the top of the page to do a search for the PHD system and you will find posts where people have given their views on it,
i think you would be fine with the pot and spatula as it gives you more options with which wax to use for different areas and different clients,
i have a salon in shipley with a few different waxing systems,
if you want to come over some time i would let you practise your waxing on me and use my waxing systems so you get to see the differences with each system and waxes, hth

I disagree that PHD is the most hygienic system. As long as you are waxing properly then all systems are hygienic.
I have used the PHD system and personally i don't like it. I know a lot of people get on with it but i didn't.
For starters wax needs to be at a constant temperature to work efficiently.
With PHD you are constantly taking the tubes out of the heat chamber so it can't stay at a constant temperature. The wax can then go gloopy and the heads get blocked.
It works out more expensive too as sometimes you have to change a head halfway through waxing a client as it's gotten blocked. There was always quite a bit left in tubes too.
I can see why people would use it for mobile as it is easier to transport.
There are also the roller systems which are easier to transport too.
I have had clients say they don't like the feel of the roller system though.
I personally have never used a roller system although my other beautician at the salon uses it and gets on with it just fine.
You can now get a roller system where the cartridge stays in the base as you are waxing so the wax will stay at a constant temperature.
I think for mobile this would be a good option but i'm a pot and spatula girl and wouldn't use anything else. :)

if you want to come over some time i would let you practise your waxing on me and use my waxing systems so you get to see the differences with each system and waxes,WOW loubylou, that is so kind of you to allow a fellow geek to come practise on you, wish i had someone like you close to me.

Berins. Fabulous!

Berins is a make of wax and not a waxing system.
I actually use Berins non-strip wax and you're right it is fab and i use it with my pot and spatula :)

Im with angelina on this one, I have used the roller systems and just don't like it you go thourgh to many new tubes to qiuckly . Has to be pot and spatula for me it's worked for the last 16 years .

Loubylou, thank you very much for your extremely kind offer. I would love to arrange to come over to get some extra practice. It's really hard at college as once somebody has been waxed, it takes weeks before we can wax them again. I really don't feel comfortable waxing paying customers until i'm sure i have all techniques mastered.

I see you run a training school, so would i have to pay to get additional practice? It's just i'm paying for my course at college, plus kit, plus uniform & all the extra's so as you can appreciate money is a little sparse at the moment!

Do you want me to email you privately to arrange something??

I can't believe on my first post, that i've had such a generous offer - i'm really touched.

Sunnyb :)

Hi Hun
It was a genuine offer, i wouldn't be charging you anything, you will see my web address is in my signature on this post,
you will find my contact numbers on my web, give me a call tomorrow and we will arrange a day for you to come over,
im due for waxing so warn you now, i am hairy lol :lol:

Hi Louise,
I'm at work all day tomorrow & then at college in the evening, so i don't get home until around 9.30pm. I am working on Wednesday, but don't start until 11.30am so can call you Wednesday morning if that's ok with you? It's half term next week, so i'd have to ask my parents to babysit so i can come over to you, but they're very supportive so i'm sure they'll be fine with that. I know it's a genuine offer & i cannot believe from 1 post i have had such a great opportunity given to me.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Rebecca:hug:

PS the hairier the better i guess! (lol)

It was great to chat with you hun,
see you next week :hug:

im at white rose school of beauty in huddersfiled qualified this year. i got a wax starter kit from adels in halifax but sallys or adels in huddersfield do them. its realy good included wax heater ,3cream wax tubs,paper strips, spatulas, bottles of pre wax, after wax, seraclean and i think thats it. great for mobile, was all in a compact box. goto sallys or adels in huddersfield and get a student card open an account and ask for the salon system wax starter kit. or goto adelsdirect.co.uk.

Latest posts

Back