Who remembers this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturalnails

Legend
Reaction score
This story has been on my mind recently and I wonder how many people have given it a thought. I just picked one news story but it was the background story I was thinking about rather than this specific news article.

Paris Brown: Foul-mouthed youth commissioner who quit over offensive tweets is questioned by police under caution | Mail Online

I know it was about Twitter but surely all forms of internet forums should be viewed in the same way.

We dont really seem to think about what we post. We think if we would say it, or even wouldnt say it, it is alright to post in the public domain.

Please think carefully about what you post in here and who can see it. The forums are viewable by anyone, friends, family, clients, potential clients etc. etc.

I dont want this thread to descend into a negative about who was right or who was wrong etc. it is just meant to be thought provoking.

Thanks

I agree. I think the thing is though that some people post things when they've had a drink or two and don't think anything of it but like that girl's found out, these things have a habit of coming back and biting you on the bum. I think with Paris too is the fact that it was all done so recently so she tried to say it was done ages ago, when she was immature etc but it actually wasn't all that long ago. Perhaps this will be a reminder to people that you may forget what you've said but it could stay in cyberspace forever!

Absolutely!

I did find it funny that when this girl was going through the application process for this role that no one checked all her Social Networking profiles. If they had they would have seen this and maybe she would not have got the job in the first place.
I thought in this day and age all employers would do this.

I have been in a situation during a disciplinary meeting when a girl stressed she had been too ill to work over the weekend, and the boss clicked the computer to bring up her FB page on which she had various comments about her wild weekend at a Rave ;)
She lost her job too !

I worked for a very abusive employer once, took me to the point of breakdown and facebook was a way to 'sound off' and complain about the terrible day we'd had, my colleague wasn't as careful as I was about her friends and one so called 'friend' showed her facebook page to the employers- needless to say things got much much worse so i've always been aware who I allow onto my facebook friends list and make sure they are friends or family and have advised my son to do the same. You can never tell who will go behind you back to cause trouble.

Its amazing what people do get away with though when applying for jobs, falsifying qualifications, 'borrowing' other peoples work and passing it off as their own, and its very hard to know who is who when participating in an internet forum. Shame so many in these industries feel the need to promote themselves as someone they're not instead of being honest, I personally respect honesty so much more than waffle.

Latest posts

Back