Why are underarms so dark when fake tanning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liverpoolgal

Reaction score
hi, everytime i apply a fake tan myself my underarms come out in dark patches, it is so unsightly and i dont think it has anything to do with the tan because it even happens when using more expensive tans like st tropez. is there anything i can do to stop this??

thank you :)

hi, everytime i apply a fake tan myself my underarms come out in dark patches, it is so unsightly and i dont think it has anything to do with the tan because it even happens when using more expensive tans like st tropez. is there anything i can do to stop this??

thank you :)

LOL just because a spray tan solution is a dear one doesn't necessarily always mean its any good :D

When spray tanning it isn't necessary to spray tan the armpits....these are convex in contour so will pick up some of the over spray from surrounding areas.

When you tan in daylight the under arms are tanned less than elsewhere for obvious reasons so with a spray tan if the under arms are slightly lighter than the rest of the body then it looks natural.

Armpits get the most sweating and rubbing compared to the rest of the body and that's before we even consider issues like deodorant etc which all play havoc with a spray tan.

Best to simply avoid this area or at most just a very light misting

HTH :hug:

I have found this when applying mousse to myself.

I think it is because generally, tan develops more in a warmer area and the armpit is one of the warmest areas on the body.

When I spray tan, I tend to apply less to the armpit, just as I do to the hands because hands are likely to develop more too.

I do the same when I apply mousse to myself too.

If you usually apply twice to your body, try applying once to your armpit and see if that makes any difference.

Also, things like stubble and/or congested skin can cause this so maybe try some exfoliation and/or an underarm wax 24 hours before tanning to reduce stubble and this will also give an exfoliating effect.

Latest posts

Back