Why cant I crack this

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaseyboi

Reaction score
Morning all

Feeling a bit down today. :irked:

No matter how much I practise I just cant seem to do l&P to a reasonable standard that I would be happy to offer a client not even a simple one colour tip overlay with pink or clear. I have read all the tutorial's on this have Gigi's nail class book & have attended a CND 121. It sooo frustraiting because I can see in my head what I want but my hands wont deliver (stupid hands lol). What I feel I need is regular weekly/fortnightly education but this is not an opption as that would be very expensive. Have spoken to my local collage but they only teach gel (& its not a very good brand & my collage has a bad reputation for training in nails)). I would love to volunteer at a salon at the weekends but the local salons in my area have all said no as they dont have space or time. I refuse to give up on doining nails as I know I have the desire & passion to be a good tech. Im thinking maybe on converting to Gel & see how I go using this. I have people wanting me to do their nails but as my work stands they would not be very happy with the out come so im reluctant to do them. I just cant seem to control the product no matter what angle I use my brush at zone 3 I always leave a ridge & normaly have product touching the side walls.

Well rant over thanks & for listening I dont know any other nail tech's so cant vent at anyone else because i might as well be speaking in Klingon lol

Back upstairs with me then to keep practising:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I doll

I can be sooooo frustating Believe me I know...... But pratise over and over angain I it will click... I hade the same problems with L&P and one day I turned out the perfect set ans still continuing thank god.. I hade no problems with gel I took to them like a duck in water... Good luck xx

Morning all

Feeling a bit down today. :irked:

No matter how much I practise I just cant seem to do l&P to a reasonable standard that I would be happy to offer a client not even a simple one colour tip overlay with pink or clear. I have read all the tutorial's on this have Gigi's nail class book & have attended a CND 121. It sooo frustraiting because I can see in my head what I want but my hands wont deliver (stupid hands lol). What I feel I need is regular weekly/fortnightly education but this is not an opption as that would be very expensive. have spoken to my local collage but they only teach gel (& its not a very good brand). I refuse to give up on doining nails as I know I have the desire & passion to be a good tech. Im thinking maybe on converting to Gel & see how I go using this. I have people wanting me to do their nails but as my work stands they would not be very happy with the out come so im reluctant to do them. I just cant seem to control the product no matter what angle I use my brush at zone 3 I always leave a ridge & normaly have product touching the side walls.

Well rant over thanks & for listening I dont know any other nail tech's so cant vent at anyone else because i might as well be speaking in Klingon lol

Back upstairs with me then to keep practising:rolleyes:

Chase this is all a matter of control ... I don't think the problem is education. People can teach to the best of their ability but some people just don't have it. Do you think you are one of those?? Are you chasing a dream that is beyond your capabilities? I think you have to be honest about this.

Thee are videos and great teachers and books and all manner of things to help you in this and I know you have really tried.

If you think you have it in you do do this job then keep going with education and practise, but if you think you don't then I'd bow out.

Chase this is all a matter of control ... I don't think the problem is education. People can teach to the best of their ability but some people just don't have it. Do you think you are one of those?? Are you chasing a dream that is beyond your capabilities? I think you have to be honest about this.

Thee are videos and great teachers and books and all manner of things to help you in this and I know you have really tried.

If you think you have it in you do do this job then keep going with education and practise, but if you think you don't then I'd bow out.

Hi Geeg

Bowing out of somthing or quitting is not in my vocabulary. I dont think I "have it" I KNOW I DO lol. Im just having a tantrum because im impatent and want to run before I can walk. Its just skill I lack not determination. Skill can be taught but not passion that is somthing we both know in this business has to be there from the start. If I had no passion for this then yes I would give up but passion I have by the bucket load. I WILL conqure this & when I do I will be comming to Leeds for a visit & we can sit & giggle about this. In all fairness I have only had 1 DECENT lesson in l&p so im probably at the leval I am supposed to be with that amount of PROPER education. will be booking another 121 in Aug & will continue to do so untill I am sorted. Yes Im a slow learner but I am with everything I do (Took 3 atempts to pass my theory test for driving but cracked it in the end with not one question wrong).

xxx

Will you post or send me a picture of some of your nails please :)

xx

I know what you mean, you know what you have to do but your hands aren't doing what your brain is saying. I'm doing my masters at the moment and soo many times i've got frustrated an still do because i cant get it right, but i've found now that if i get up and walk away from it have a brew and relax and then go back to it that that helps. I know that when i try to hard to get it right thats when it goes to pot. I dont know if that makes sense, it does to me ha.

Also I know when i go on a training day and Marianne from cnd is there, even though shes really nice, it kind of makes me nervous and because she is sooooo good at what she does I try really hard and mess it up a few times and get annoyed at myself, but then she tells me to calm down and think about what im doing, and then i do improve.

I think for me, when my trainer says thats good or bex thats really good keep it going, its so encouraging and gives me a boost. So i was thinking maybe you should have another one to one, and explain to your trainer how you feel, what problem you are having and then she could help you. Don't give up though, when you do crack it, it will be worth it and you'll wonder how you couldn't get it first time. I know how you feel though i have awful trouble with my smile lines.

You said that you've read tutorials and nail class, i know i've read them more than once and Gigi said to me dont just read them work with them along side you (something along those lines), and that has helped me, not just reading them and then going to try it, i sit there with the book next to me and i have a few printed off tutorials and have tips on bluetac and i sit practising my application while i'm reading them. If i am not happy with the result, i read a bit again and try again until i am happy. I've gone through 2 boxes of tips but i am getting better, and when you can see yourself improving its a great boost.

Right I talk a lot haha, hope this helps, i hope you get it too, im sure you will, you deffo have the determination to learn :):):).

I've had issues of my own, and must say Gigi's book was a great help. BUT - it won't help you if you don't help yourself. I'm not mean or sarcastic, just let me explain:

when I read it for the first time, while reading - I thought - yeah, but I already know that?! So what's new about placing 3 beads, and moving the bead there and there, and angling the brush or the file...? And as I went on, results were the same (lame). And then I thought - wait, the book says, the winners "took winning advice" and won, so it has to be a catch somewhere...

The point is - I was reading it kind of superficial, iykwim, took it for granted. But not until you really start to read and think it through, deep, read slowly and imagine every word - so it's not just about placing 3 beads, and I asked myself - am I really angling the brush and file as she says, am I really placing, pulling, patting, nudging exactly as she says... every single word and detail has to be thought through thoroughly... and when I did that, it clicked, and after practicing while thinking it through, soon I was able to do a lower arch, and upper arch was there, and smile line wasn't drying too soon or leaking on the sides...

Nailclass is a great wisdom in not too many words, so I tended to overlook what matters, because I was in a hurry to read it all. Give yourself time, relax, and go through the book again.

Another thing was watching CND videos and Roxanne Valinoti and Tiffany Greco... and when they do it, it all looks so easy... few moves with the brush and LP is on perfectly, and then she only needs few file strokes and nails from heaven are there!

But I was watching it and thinking - look how easy it is for her, and who am I, I won't be able to do it, blah blah, or worse - it's easy because it looks that way. Stop that and try really watching what are they doing - and you'll see that they are doing what Gigi's talking about.

And at last - if your mind is not at ease, your hands won't do it right. So relax and then give your best effort.

Sorry for being long, was trying to help :hug:

Will you post or send me a picture of some of your nails please :)

xx

Am in the process of doing this & will post for all to see.

Funnily enough I was using another well known brand to practise with on my training hand as did not want to wast my gorgeous CND l&p as not much left (placing order next week) but decided to have a go with CND & the result was beautiful. My beads were much better to control & the overall look was loads better so feeling a bit more confident now. So I suppose in the bin with the other product & stick with CND. Thanks again for the advice & will grab my copy of nail class & read while I work. I hate not being able to produce the quality I want but I guess it's all practice. Dont know why Im all worked up it's ony nails for god's sake lol. I also guess I need to bite the bullet & get some girls from work over & just get on with it? If they are crap I can always take them off & try again.

xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back