Why do hairdressers charge more for long hair with highlights?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy_lou

Reaction score
Full head highlights is more expensive on long hair but If they only do your roots then why is this? Also they have an option of fun-on-top what is this?

Thanks x

Because if they would be charging the rate of short her on a client with long hair they will not be profiteering and will only be covering the cost of product.
In other words, you use heaps more product whether it's tint, foils or even just time.
Hairdressers/Beauty therapists that value there work charge alot because we go through alot of hard work in training and making their clients happy, believe me products are not cheap, just like other people want to make money so do we. :)

I have never thought this to be fair. Yes more product/ time is used but i dnt charge extra for taller/chubbier clients in beauty.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek mobile app

Because if they would be charging the rate of short her on a client with long hair they will not be profiteering and will only be covering the cost of product.
In other words, you use heaps more product whether it's tint, foils or even just time.
Hairdressers/Beauty therapists that value there work charge alot because we go through alot of hard work in training and making their clients happy, believe me products are not cheap, just like other people want to make money so do we. :)
I appreciate what you are saying but I don't think it answers the OP's quuestion. If you are only doing the roots, how does it differ whether the hair is long or short as you are only working in the area nearest the scalp and not working down the length.

I think it is Ana I the resting question.

If your hairdresser is only doing your roots then she should only charge you for roots.

Do you mean you get your roots done but get charged highlight price? If so then you need to discuss that with your hairdresser.

Laura x

Yes she only puts colour on my roots (in foils) and not all the way through. So why would she charge more for long hair it doesn't make sense. I have a new hairdresser on Wednesday so going to see if she pulls the colour through and if she doesn't then I'm going to ask why I'm being charged fourty pounds more for long hair when the same amount of product is used. Feels a bit unfair. Thanks girls xx

Time - longer hair generally takes a bit longer to prepare. Sectioning, combing through etc.

I'm assuming your hairdresser rinses your hair after your root treatment?

Long hair takes longer to rinse and you use more product (shampoo/conditioner) and water than if you had 3 hairs on your head.

Water is one of the biggest expenses in a salon. You have to rinse for a good 10 minutes anyway and long hair can be notoriously difficult to rinse thoroughly.

Answer to the title,
Obviously twice the amount of colour used and can take twice as long.

And answer to question,
Every client is different. Long, short, thick, fine.
As you have got thick hair (from looking at your picture) I would probably charge you extra because even just for roots you'd have more foils in than others and it would take me longer because of the amount of hair you have.
And time is money :) x

Last edited:
Yes she only puts colour on my roots (in foils) and not all the way through. So why would she charge more for long hair it doesn't make sense. I have a new hairdresser on Wednesday so going to see if she pulls the colour through and if she doesn't then I'm going to ask why I'm being charged fourty pounds more for long hair when the same amount of product is used. Feels a bit unfair. Thanks girls xx

If you're having highlights of bleach or high lift tints you don't want that pulled through your ends. The result will be overtoned and more than likely breakage.

We charge more because it takes more time in handling the hair. In my salon I include a blow dry in the price of all my colours. This is also a factor in the price for long hair being more than short.

There are also other factors, like having a toner, or low lights. These are all things that require more product and time.

If I have a client with long, but fine hair, I will usually take the initiative to charge them for medium length hair. On the same note, if I had a client with medium but thick hair, I would charge them for long.

Often stylists are put in the position where they know they should or could charge the client less, but the boss won't allow it. For example - a while ago I was having problems with my shoulder and had troubles with blow drying. I had a client that I would usually do a blow dry with Velcro rollers. The client was happy to have god curls as an alternative while I got my shoulder sorted. My boss insisted I charge her the extra $20 on top for using the GHD when I had just blasted the hair off.

Take it up with the manager or owner of the salon (if that's not your stylist).

I appreciate the different price brackets and timings as a hairdresser but after doing a fantastic course a few months back I have decided to have just one price bracket when my new salon opens. The reason for this is clients just don't get it!
At what point does a clients hair go from being short to medium them to long if she's growing it? Clients need to be able to look at a price list and pretty much work out what their service will cost or at least know which category to put themselves into.

I would rather charge one price that's higher for all services. Then no one feels penalised.

Long hair does take longer, you are not being charged for product, you are being charged for time.

As hairdressers we ultimately sell time not hairstyles. But I see exactly where you are coming from and agree! Xxx

We sell skills and time if you were charged for product we would charge you pre gram of colour. I use standard pictures if your hair is the picture then that's the length no confusion or argument

I only change more for any colour if the client has exceptionally long and thick hair, at this present time I only have one client on my books I charge more £10 extra for a half head foils and tint in between she only get it done twice a year and has hair to her bum and her pony tail is thicker than the inside of a toilet roll ,i use about 6 tubes plus bleach, peroxide foil , shampoo conditioner products time ect I should probably charge her double the normal price :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Iv only ever seen a different price for regrowth with a tint never hi lites,

My prices are standard regardless of length or thickness

It call depends on timings... I get your point if you're having full head foils roots only 1 colour (usually bleach which then means you're having a toner too) if roots only on any other colour your would have banding given they always fade, so a good stylist would probably be using 2 colours, one for your root and another to refresh ends... Soo all in all longer hair = more colour = more time = more money.

If it is root only, and this is it, your finish so cut and Blowdry or Blowdry will take upto 30 mins longer than someone with short hair so again longer hair = more product = more time = more money.

Applying full head foils on short hair also uses less foil than full head foils on long hair so again as above longer hair = more money.

Full head foils cut and finish could be about 2.5 hours and on long hair (usually thicker too) can be 3.5 even 4 hours depending.

So this is why all salons wi a single pricing structure are classed as expensive i.e. 45 for a cut regardless of if you have a pixie cut or hair to your waist.

I do a tiered pricing and if full head i do have a generic root application price as I'm using the same amount of product and similar application time... But this is full head only, foils takes longer and from start to finish uses more product and takes longer.

Thanks guys. Completely agree with the beauticians comment about not charging more for taller or larger women! Still don't understand why my hairdresser charges more. From what some of you are saying its because of the blow dry but I pay separate for the blow dry for my long hair. I understand the time comment, it takes longer to wash long hair but the way they say it is like there is more product being used when technically this isn't always the case as most of you have stated. I totally appreciate all the training it takes etc but I would much rather go to a salon that charges a set price for all root highlights as that seems much more fair IMO. I only have bleach highlights one colour. I don't have a toner etc. Hence why it doesn't make sense. If I did then I would understand. Thanks guys for your input think I will look into this a bit further and decide from there where I will get my hair done. You have all been so helpful thanks x

Thanks guys. Completely agree with the beauticians comment about not charging more for taller or larger women! Still don't understand why my hairdresser charges more. From what some of you are saying its because of the blow dry but I pay separate for the blow dry for my long hair. I understand the time comment, it takes longer to wash long hair but the way they say it is like there is more product being used when technically this isn't always the case as most of you have stated. I totally appreciate all the training it takes etc but I would much rather go to a salon that charges a set price for all root highlights as that seems much more fair IMO. I only have bleach highlights one colour. I don't have a toner etc. Hence why it doesn't make sense. If I did then I would understand. Thanks guys for your input think I will look into this a bit further and decide from there where I will get my hair done. You have all been so helpful thanks x

If people have one set price I'd assume it will be the most expensive price to cover costs x

And if someone uses twice as much tan on somebody perhaps they should be charging them more. (But id imagine it would be way too awkward!)

Oh right see what you mean. Just looked up a few hairdressers, most had one price ie 120 pounds for a full head and then others had different prices for lengths. Short hair 55 pounds, long hair 75 pounds and extra long 85 pounds. So I get what you mean now. It's actually cheaper for me to go to the hairdressers with different prices. I just always wondered why this was. And haha true re the comment about charging more for a larger woman would defo be awkward lol. Thanks again xxx

It's to do with time. I have a client who has soooooo much coarse dense hair she only has hairline and parting lowlights with maybe a couple more here and there. But it takes me nearly a hour and 15 minutes to do cus she's got so much hair when a normal head can take about 30 - 45 mins.

Latest posts

Back