Why is Pantene the devils brew?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturalnails

Legend
Reaction score
There are so many ads for it claiming it has won this prize and that prize in the consumer press, but I regularly here professional hairdressers complaining about it - more than any other OTC brand.

What is it about it that boils the blood?

This is not meant as a flippant question, but a serious one, I am interested to know.

My lecturer told me about this last year, she said it puts a coating on the hair, I think it makes a difference to colouring hair. Not really sure though? lol

Doesn't it contain like silicone that coats the hair each time it's used to give a 'shiney' look, which creates a build up on the hair shaft over time & use. Which means that when trying to colour the hair,the build up of 'silicone' stops the colour taking and therefore the hair needs stripping before it can be coloured?

As you can tell, I'm a nail tech, not a hairdresser!

yes i think thats maybe what she told me haha well, it sounded very good :D lol

Doesn't it contain like silicone that coats the hair each time it's used to give a 'shiney' look, which creates a build up on the hair shaft over time & use. Which means that when trying to colour the hair,the build up of 'silicone' stops the colour taking and therefore the hair needs stripping before it can be coloured?

As you can tell, I'm a nail tech, not a hairdresser!

Correct !

It can be a complete pain ! x

Hi, good post , :)
at first it really makes the hair look great , and the hair gets coated with a waxy substance which smooths it all down and makes it shiny smooth and lustrous it also at this point will trap in some moisture which is great ,

but as time goes by the waxy substance tends to build up on each hair and the moisture that was once trapped in the hair has now dried out
and the hair badly needs a conitioning treatment to penetrate into it,

but by now the shampoo has deposited so much wax
that nothing is now going to penetrate through that barrier of wax ,
so the hair becomes dry brittle lank and fly away
and as the wax gets thicker at the hairs roots
it starts to lay flat on the scalp weighed down with wax making it look like dull sticky greasy roots

it also makes the hair fly away and sort of flat and full of static
whilst you are trying to style it
also when someone straightens it with the straightening irons ,
it can remain straight and lank looking becuse the wax has been heated and melted into the hair,
a bit like ironing wax on brown paper ,
and if you want to curl it it wont hold the curl anymore like it used too

apparently if you run a thumb and fingernail down the hair
you will actually see that you can scrape off some of the white waxy deposit

When this happens its a nightmare for hairdressers
as colour cannot penetrate properly and can go patchy, highlights wont lift properly and perms wont take ,

the only thing that can help at this stage
is to clafify the hair , and this will take quite a few washes with a good clarifying shampoo ,

The thing is I think this was the old type of pantene shampoo in the pearly white bottles,
and these large Companys are constantly improving and changing ,
so it may be a lot better now!

hope that made sense :) minky

Thanks, that was great.

My daughters hair is really long and very tuggy and I thought this might work for her hair - I have tried loads of different shampoos and conditioners both professional brands and OTC and nothing seems to help - I want her to have long silky, shiny easy to comb hair.

Thanks, that was great.

My daughters hair is really long and very tuggy and I thought this might work for her hair - I have tried loads of different shampoos and conditioners both professional brands and OTC and nothing seems to help - I want her to have long silky, shiny easy to comb hair.

Have you tried Nak products? I stock Alterna products in my salon and in the last 2 weeks they have launched Nak. Great products and they smell fab!

Latest posts

Back