Why sell yourself so cheap?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i work from home and started off by charging the same as the nail place in my village (although i wanted to charge more!), anyway the nail salon has now closed and i am going to up my prices. i have been charging between 18-22 for shellac and thought that was cheap enough!

at the end of the day we are all here to make money and if you are not charging enough to cover your basic costs and time then i dont think its worth it! you may as well go and work in a shop/office etc...at least that way you would be earning minimum wage which lets face it if you are charging £10 then that does not cover basic product cost and minimum wage! working from home may not be a "salon environment" but we offer flexibility of hours, no parking problems or paying for parking, relaxing atmosphere, personal service, no feel of one in one out that you get in some places etc...all these things are worth something and weshould charge accordingly....this is if course my opinion x

No, you guys are right. I guess only being a 9 month nail tech, I haven't grasped the importance of what I should be charging. I am a little worried of losing clients by uping my price, naturally. But I guess to makes it worth while for myself, by charging the more realistic prices!

No, you guys are right. I guess only being a 9 month nail tech, I haven't grasped the importance of what I should be charging. I am a little worried of losing clients by uping my price, naturally. But I guess to makes it worth while for myself, by charging the more realistic prices!
You will probably find you won't loose that many, but im sure you will gain some and for those you loose the extra you are charging will make up for it xx

I totally got myself into this situation too when I started, I was charging far too little and the work was just too much. Why don't you explain well in advance to your regs that prices will be going up say at beginning of dec so lots of notice for them! You are using the best products out there make sure they know it! As for the kitchen maybe a salon looks more professional but this business is your baby so I bet you put a lot more effort into it as it's your name out there, I know I do. But hey ho it's all a learning curve I'm starting facials and waxing next month so I'll have to practice what I preach x

Glad you agree! Souz makes a great point about NMW. I don't even want a profit I just want above NMW & to cover costs. I price shellac at £25 or £40 for fingers & toes.

To the op, your neighbouring salon sounds bonkers! It sounds like she's in a bit of trouble to resort to that :/

It's all about working smarter not harder. Personally I'd rather do one full paying client than three discounted clients that totals the same amount!

I also agree that many clients may look negatively on a place charging too little, it's all about being "re-assuringly expensive"! No-one wants to be the Iceland of the beauty world!

I totally got myself into this situation too when I started, I was charging far too little and the work was just too much. Why don't you explain well in advance to your regs that prices will be going up say at beginning of dec so lots of notice for them! You are using the best products out there make sure they know it! As for the kitchen maybe a salon looks more professional but this business is your baby so I bet you put a lot more effort into it as it's your name out there, I know I do. But hey ho it's all a learning curve I'm starting facials and waxing next month so I'll have to practice what I preach x

Very true, I don't use bottom brand gear. This is the top products I use! I think I have been letting my clients off abit lightly really. I have mentioned on my facebook nails page, that my prices will be going up, and already someone has said, judging by the photos of my work, it looks like it will be worth every penny. Made me feel quite good about myself

Glad you agree! Souz makes a great point about NMW. I don't even want a profit I just want above NMW & to cover costs. I price shellac at £25 or £40 for fingers & toes.

To the op, your neighbouring salon sounds bonkers! It sounds like she's in a bit of trouble to resort to that :/

Well I want a profit.:biggrin:

£25 for fingers, so fingers and toes should be £50! Remember it lasts alot longer on toes and you would not see them in a hurry to have them redone. Lots of cuticle work to be done on toes too. xx

I started off charging £18 for a set of nail enhancements and had plenty of takers but mostly they were awful awful clients. I attracted some of the scummiest people around. When i started putting my prices up, the good ones stayed, the bad ones went to the next cheapest deal. But i attracted more clients and a different clientele.

I now charge £35 for a set and have more genuine, loyal clients. They care for their nails and are very consistent. It was the best thing i've ever done for my wallet and my sanity.

Be brave, take the plunge and attract the clients that you really want. Just make sure you offer a great service and most importantly, beleive that you are worth the money! :) xxxx

I work at home and do Gelish and charge £20 for fingers or toes. The salons charge more (£25-£35) in my area but I feel that if it was me, I would pay £20 for a regular service but more than that would make me think about having it done regularly. I've just started spray tanning using
Nouvatan and have my first paying client tomorrow, I'm charging £15 because the salons r charging more and other mobile tanners in my area r charging £15 so I have to b competitive but make a profit. U only have to do a few good jobs and your name will get around and if u r charging an affordable price and working in a nice, clean, relaxing environment u will get new clients.

Latest posts

Back