Why won't doctors listen-any geeks with Autistic/Aspergers children?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you familiar with SPD-sensory processing disorder?
Along with ADD, I suffer from that as well. A multitude of things make me crazy....not just in an annoying way, but actually cause physical issues & anxiety. Such as touching raw cotton. Absolute nightmare for me. There are different facets-tactile, audio etc. it tends to mimic attributes of other disorders such as ADHD & Spectrum disorders. There is a plethora of info if you google SPD. Just a thought. [emoji6]

Weeellllll........safe to say that was an interesting bedtime read geeks
I value all your comments/stories Thank You

Like ive said in a previous post, i know certain things he does he is just being a brat lol
Unfortunately some situations im put in with him are really difficult......ive been around babies/kids since i was 11 (twin brothers, one having cerebal paulsy AND Autism, also a little sister, shes just a pain in the neck haha) having said that im stuck sometimes on how to deal with these situations even having plenty of experience with kids.

He starts school next week, maybe, the school will pick up on something and they can help me, i think a previous geek had posted about going through the school ☺

Xx

Weeellllll........safe to say that was an interesting bedtime read geeks
I value all your comments/stories Thank You

Like ive said in a previous post, i know certain things he does he is just being a brat lol
Unfortunately some situations im put in with him are really difficult......ive been around babies/kids since i was 11 (twin brothers, one having cerebal paulsy AND Autism, also a little sister, shes just a pain in the neck haha) having said that im stuck sometimes on how to deal with these situations even having plenty of experience with kids.

He starts school next week, maybe, the school will pick up on something and they can help me, i think a previous geek had posted about going through the school ☺

Xx

It was me! Hope starting school goes well for both of you. You are welcome to pm me if you need any advice xx

Awww thats lovely thank you xx

Hi Mommabear, hope school goes well when he starts next week!

As someone who works with schools and SEN students, the best advice I can give is to be open with your child's school from day one about your concerns. They won't know your child the way you do when he starts, and a lot of his 'unusual' behaviours could be seen as settling in nerves, or not being used to being in a school environment, or even plain naughtiness. If you let them know as soon as he starts that you have worries there is more to his behaviour that just being a 'brat' (as you put it), then they can be more cautious in the way they manage his settling-in.
I would suggest going back to your GP and asking for a referral to a paediatrician. It's your right to be able to request this. If your GP says no, then you can contact your local hospital yourself. Alternatively, (depending on where you live), some Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (known as CAMHS) conduct initial screening for conditions like ASD, and most allow parents to self-refer. They can then support you to be referred to a paediatrician if they feel it's needed.
Last option is once you've spoken to the school and your son has had a chance to settle in, speak to the school about a referral to the Educational Psychologist. There's often a waiting list, and again, they will only complete initial screening questionnaires and occasionally do an observation, but this would support the request to the GP or CAMHS to have further assessments completed.
Good luck!

Hi Mommabear, hope school goes well when he starts next week!

As someone who works with schools and SEN students, the best advice I can give is to be open with your child's school from day one about your concerns. They won't know your child the way you do when he starts, and a lot of his 'unusual' behaviours could be seen as settling in nerves, or not being used to being in a school environment, or even plain naughtiness. If you let them know as soon as he starts that you have worries there is more to his behaviour that just being a 'brat' (as you put it), then they can be more cautious in the way they manage his settling-in.
I would suggest going back to your GP and asking for a referral to a paediatrician. It's your right to be able to request this. If your GP says no, then you can contact your local hospital yourself. Alternatively, (depending on where you live), some Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (known as CAMHS) conduct initial screening for conditions like ASD, and most allow parents to self-refer. They can then support you to be referred to a paediatrician if they feel it's needed.
Last option is once you've spoken to the school and your son has had a chance to settle in, speak to the school about a referral to the Educational Psychologist. There's often a waiting list, and again, they will only complete initial screening questionnaires and occasionally do an observation, but this would support the request to the GP or CAMHS to have further assessments completed.
Good luck!

Thats brilliant!
Thank you for your advice.
First day is tomorrow. Im more nervous than i was with my eldest lol
Ive wrote a little something on his pack that he has to take with him and i will mention it to his teacher in the morning

Xx

Bit of topic but what a day to start school Friday? You would of at least thought they would of left it till Monday or started earlier this week!

My boys started thursday. Some started wednsday
I think its a bit daft...why not start the monday? Lol xx

Evening geeks.

Had my little boys parents evening last week. And to say im pleased is an understatement. Hes settled in really well :) and is doing extremely well in school .

She asked if i had noticed a few things over my little egg and i just spilled like a tin of beans....told her all the little things he does....and she herself admitted that he does have little quirks in school.
One thing she did point out was his hearing.....asked if he had had problems and i said no but explained he doesnt always answer when you shout for him....he does the same in school....so she is going to get his hearing check fast tracked and speak to one of the other teachers (i think she said school nurse) and possibly get him reffered to a paediatrician.

Im so happy that i could be getting somewere, but cant help but feel heartbroken at the same time

Xxxxx

That must be such a huge relief to yourself that your getting somewhere! It's good to hear he's settled in well! Hopefully the hearing check will be soon fingers crossed for you! Xx

It was a huuuuge relief when she mentioned it. I was so pleased she had picked up on a few things :) xxx

Latest posts

Back