Why would this happen?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natalie_MUA

Reaction score
Last time I did my friends nails (with opi GelColour), when I took the polish off the nail had torn or broken UNDER the polish. Despite my advice, she asked me to cut that corner off and just try and disguise it, which I did. But advised her to keep an eye in it and I'd have to keep cutting it until the nail grew up again. As predicted it has torn further and I'm going round to sort it out tomorrow... What I wanted to know it why it would have ripped under the polish in the first place? The polish didn't get torn and she says she didn't catch it?? Any suggestions geeks?? :)

This is the nail in question... ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1378073471.949197.jpg
Any ideas? :S

Was her nail weak or damaged before the polish?
Maybe it had a split in already or a slight peel

My mums split there all the time! Even hard gel overlay can't stop my mums from getting a little split, which If left rips the while nail half way down!

Funnily enough mine do the same thing, but didn't think it would still do it under the gel polish!! Any advice for stopping it happening??

Does she open cans or pick her toe nails with that thumb. Sometimes some of my clients pick their natural nail underneath the gel and it then looks like they've torn it.

If the natural nail is dry and brittle it will break underneath the polish and because the polish is flexible it will stay intact. :green:

Sheila is absolutely right ...

The client is using the corner of her thumb nail for things she shouldn't be. Her nail is splitting under the pressure but the polish is flexing and stretching. Nails should not be used as tools!! And Solar Oil for aftercare to keep the natural nails supple too.

PS .... So great to see you, Sheila! Missed you and hope you are well. X

You know you don't have to cut the nail, just do a repair using silk/fibreglass underneath your gel polish and allow the tear to grow out.

I'm not trained to do that :( is it something I could teach myself to do? Just repairs I mean? And would you use the fibreglass with the GelColour or would you use it with the resin underneath and GelColour on top?

I'm not trained to do that :( is it something I could teach myself to do? Just repairs I mean? And would you use the fibreglass with the GelColour or would you use it with the resin underneath and GelColour on top?

You coiuld do it either way, and it is a very simple process with any wrap system.

Awesome :) thank you ill check it out

Fibreglass is my lifesaver for repairs, a fellow nail tech introduced me to it and I have never looked back!! I just use it with my gel, buff it up then apply gel polish on top, it works a treat!! :)

I just use it with my gel, buff it up then apply gel polish on top, it works a treat!! :)
So you apply fiberglass/silk to the nail and overlay it with gel instead of resin? This would be brilliant as I have a massive problem with opening a resin bottle :) Also it smells aweful, clients don't like it.

I taught myself after seeing Holly's demonstration. Size up the nail that needs repair and select the correct sized silk/fibreglass wrap, or cut to size from a strip making sure you take the product up to the edge of the nail. Prepare and dehydrate the nail as usual, then apply the silk/fibreglass and press it into place using an orange wood stick. Once you are happy it is on the nail and covering the rip, then apply your base coat carefully and check your brush to make sure you have no stray fibres going back into your bottle. Cure and carry on as normal.

So you apply fiberglass/silk to the nail and overlay it with gel instead of resin? This would be brilliant as I have a massive problem with opening a resin bottle :) Also it smells aweful, clients don't like it.

That's how I do it too. Can be used to repair or strengthen a nail.

Yes hun, I prep the nail, apply a thin layer of gel then cure as normal then stick a fibreglass piece into the tacky layer (over the breakage of course) and apply another coat of gel and cure. Apply another thin layer of gel if you think it needs, then wipe the sticky layer and file/buff the top and sides to smooth out and paint! :)

Yes hun, I prep the nail, apply a thin layer of gel then cure as normal then stick a fibreglass piece into the tacky layer (over the breakage of course) and apply another coat of gel and cure. Apply another thin layer of gel if you think it needs, then wipe the sticky layer and file/buff the top and sides to smooth out and paint! :)
Thank you! :)

View attachment 42909
This is the other nail 2 weeks later!! :( she's decided not to have another application until her thumb nails have grown back. But I've never seen anything like this!! Below the hyponychium on both sides on both thumbs!! On no other nails... Any ideas on what might have caused this?? Could it be that her nail can't cope with any length?? She's said she's never had extensions (thought about over-blending the tip??) and she's never bitten her nails (damage to nail bed?) I'm really disappointed!! :(

View attachment 42909
This is the other nail 2 weeks later!! :( she's decided not to have another application until her thumb nails have grown back. But I've never seen anything like this!! Below the hyponychium on both sides on both thumbs!! On no other nails... Any ideas on what might have caused this?? Could it be that her nail can't cope with any length?? She's said she's never had extensions (thought about over-blending the tip??) and she's never bitten her nails (damage to nail bed?) I'm really disappointed!! :(

Her nails are breaking, or being broken- there are lots of reasons why this may be happening. She may need some additional strength before gel polish dont best yourself up- she's expecting too much from it!

Latest posts

Back