Why you choose to work at the salon you work at???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spend_um

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I need some advice. I am planning on opening my salon very soon & I was wondering why those that work at a salon why you chose that salon. Or those that own a salon what you do to get stylists & technicians to want to work at your salon. Thanks!

I worked at several different salons before I chose to open my own. Lots of pro's and con's. There's a great deal of stress to having your own place, but they are YOUR problems and no one else's! Thats the good part. I'm sure you will do fine, just remember to have a list of your clients when you leave. But don't tell anyone! I told a trusted client before I left a salon to open my own, and she told. I was put out on my ear with 2 weeks to go before the next place was ready.SCARY!! It worked out, though. I now have the opportunity to be the kind of employer that I always wanted to have. Best of luck to you!
Brooke

Thanks nail doctor! Thats exactly how I feel. I want to be a owner that treats everyone with respect rather then the way I have been treated before. Thanks again!

Just remember your staff are staff and not friends. you have no friends in
business. you will start off a really nice boss then you will change (trust me)
you will look back at your old bosses and understand 100% why they were like they were. not saying you have to be horrible there is no need for nastyness but you do have to harden up! And remember before you start trying to poach clients from your place of work how you would feel if that happened to you from one of your members of staff it is heartbreaking it is like somebody stealing from you and puts clients in an awkward situation.
if your clients really like you they will find you.
I think as long as you are resonable, approachable and listen you will have happy staff. Goodluck.

i opened my own hair salon because i wanted to make a difference in the industry and due to the way my old company treated me....
advice hhmmmm theres lots but i agree try not to become friends with the staff be nice but be firm, i made the mistake of becoming friendly with certain staff members and i became to involved in there lives and ended up making excuses for them.....wont make that mistake again.
i tried to be quite picky when it came to staff obviously i wanted the best but i also made my staffing choices on there personalty and whether they would get on with each other, there attitude there sense of humour etc, if they fitted then great, i was lucky enough to have a great team that all got on.
due to rent increases etc i had to close my shop in nov last year but i still see some of the staff that i did get friendly with and they tell me that they loved working for me cause they believed i had a great sense of the future that my ideas were good and fresh and that i was fair and i didnt just talk the talk i walked the walked with them ie i cleaned and worked just as hard as them.

hope this helps
x

Oh thanks so much! You all are awesome!

Latest posts

Back