Wide nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelliR

Reaction score
Hello,

My nails are weak and bitten and not in great shape to begin with... but one has worsened. It looks like the cuticle on the edge has moved outward, exposing more of the nail than was before, and making the nail very wide. There is also a vertical ridge along the nail, where I think the edge of the nail used to be, and the newly exposed piece of nail peels easily. Is there any way to redirect the cuticle/edge of nail back inward to get it where it used to be?

Thank you for any advice.

Hello,

My nails are weak and bitten and not in great shape to begin with... but one has worsened. It looks like the cuticle on the edge has moved outward, exposing more of the nail than was before, and making the nail very wide. There is also a vertical ridge along the nail, where I think the edge of the nail used to be, and the newly exposed piece of nail peels easily. Is there any way to redirect the cuticle/edge of nail back inward to get it where it used to be?

Thank you for any advice.

The sad thing about biting nails is you (can) do irreparable damage to the nail bed and matrix. My advice would be to stop biting your nails :), use a good cuticle oil & moisturiser to get your nails in better condition.

Biting nails is a psychological thing, something many people do subconsciously b/c something in their life triggers this response - like stress. Pay close attention to the moments when you are most likely to chew your nails, find out what is your trigger, and doing something different instead. Such as: each time you would go to chew your nails or find yourself chewing your nails make a conscious effort to not do so and put cuticle oil on instead. You might also find that rubbing a yukky or strong tasting oil into your cuticles - like sesame oil - helps you to notice when you are chewing your nails.

Latest posts

Back