Will my business work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovebeauty14

Reaction score
Hello.
Well I'm getting all chewed up thinking about this, but i'm setting up my own home salon in a spare bedroom and I'm really excited about it but i'm really worried about my hours and how it will come across. I'm only going to be working in the evenings, once my husband is home and can look after our son. And also at weekends.
How would I advertise this? Would I put my times on my website and on leaflets?
Also my husband may be getting sent abroad soon (he's in the military) and I have no idea what I'll do then as I'll have no one to look after my son.
I just don't know what I'll do then or what will happen to my business. So worried .
Does anyone have any advise? I'd work a couple of hours in the day time but until my business is a success I can't afford childcare. :-(
Thanks.

How old is your son? Could he play in his bedroom whilst you have a client?

I think working evenings and weekends will appeal to a lot of clients so I wouldn't worry about that. Yes I would put your times on website, Facebook page, flyers etc etc.

Do you know any older teenage girls that you know you can trust? I mean it's not like you will be leaving her alone in the house with your son, you will only be upstairs. Plus you could probably pay her in treatments too so won't cost you anywhere near as much as childcare.

Maybe a thought x

Im only offering evening and weekends too, and some afternoons depending on the treatment (I have a 1.5hr time slot in afternoons) because of childcare. I like the idea of finding a teenager who could watch/play with your son while you work. Im hoping to come across some teens when im working as we need a babysitter at times!
how old is your son? could he sit in a playpen in the room while you work? Im sure some clients would understand especially as your husband is military.

I also put on my flyers, website etc my hours. Ive had a lot people happy that I work outside "normal hours" so they can still have treatments after work.
x

Thanks for your advice. :)
He's 16 months at the moment & my husband will be going away the longest in August when my Son is nearly 2.
That's good news that it appeals to people to offer late hours, I was thinking 6pm to 9.30pm weekdays and a full day on Sat and whatever hours I'm allowed on a Sunday, providing my husband is about to look after him. Hopefully by August my son will be old enough to happily watch TV, or at least be in bed (he usually goes to sleep at 7pm).
As for finding a teenager, I have only just moved to the area but I've started attending parent and toddler groups so hopefully they'll have done trusted teenagers that are recommended to babysit.
I just hope it all works out as I've put sooo much money into it and all my passion already, it will be so upsetting if I can't make it work!

P.s. Do you offer pamper parties? I was thinking of offering them for weekends only or do you think that is too exclusive?

IMHO, salon is salon, house is houseand they will be never the same.

I don't agree with this at all! I have had my home salon (hair) for a year now and have a v successful business with over 150 regular clients and MOST clients much prefer that it's at my home good luck with your venture zx

Perhaps you would be kind enough to complete your profile diamondpuppy.

Some folk like home salons, some like mobile treatment, some like going out to salons, regardless of home based or out on the high street. So I found your comment a little unnecessary.

OP, my husband works away, so when I worked at home I just did evenings once DD was in bed. As your son gets older, it will get easier. You get free nursery places once he's three. Get yourself to a toddler group, they might be another mum that could have your son for a few hours in return for a treatment? Good luck

Lilian x

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

There was a recent thread on here to see how many home salons there were & it was about 50/50 with the geeks on here. There are many successful home salon owners on here doing just great,
To the OP you go for it, home salons are lovely personal places & when you have one people like they will come to you forever xx

My advice would be to start off small and expand as you child gets older. I started out before children came along and then cut right back when they were very little. As they've got older my business has grown and i'm now very busy in my home clinic.

One thing I would say only work when you can have someone sit in your house to look after your son. There must be nothing worse than wondering if your child is ok and I'm sure clients wouldn't be too happy if you had to keep disappearing.

It can definitely work out and there's lots of people on here who'll give you advice when you need it. The best of luck xx

Thanks for all your advice.
You guys are so helpful, I don't know what I'd do without this forum, it's a godsend.
Feeling loads more optimistic now. Will maybe lay off the pamper parties, etc, until I've had a couple of years with my salon under my belt and my son is in big boys nursery.
Xoxo

That may be your opinion but I don't think that was a comment the OP needed to read to be honest. This is a place for encouragement, not telling people home salons aren't good enough, which is what I believe you were implying.

Go for it girl - I have a home salon and 2 little girls and I make it work - so can you! Hugs xx

I think I would prefer to visit a home salon tbh. The evening is easier for childcare for me and 9 times out of 10 the parking availability is better with a home salon than a high street.

So OP don't worry about negative comments and go for it, you'll do brilliantly!

x

I totally disagree with this! I take it you have never had a home salon?
Well I have and I run a successful business and have returning clients so something must work eh? If you want something bad enough then you can achieve it - my clients always comment how nice my hone salon is and that they prefer coming here rather than a 'salon' as they feel it's more comfortable and welcoming.

Why did you come out with a blunt opinion like that, offering no help or guidance to the op? Stop being so negative!

To the op, your hours sound absolutely fine - I can't work Monday's as I volunteer at a hospice but I don't tell my clients this, if they ever ask for a monday I tell them I am booked up that day, same If I an having some time off, they don't have to know!
Your room sounds like it will be great, and i'm sure everything will fall into place once you find your feet and start having some regular clients, good luck! xxx

P.s. Do you offer pamper parties? I was thinking of offering them for weekends only or do you think that is too exclusive?

Hey hun,

I'm mobile so obviously it's a slightly different scenario but I have to say I've never been asked to do a pamper party during the week, can't see it being a problem only offering them at weekends.

Good luck with your new venture! X

Thankyou.
It's brilliant to see how many others make it work out.
And thankyou all for the supportive comments about home salons. If it wasn't for you guys I'd have seen that comment and thought I was walking into a disaster!

Thankyou.
It's brilliant to see how many others make it work out.
And thankyou all for the supportive comments about home salons. If it wasn't for you guys I'd have seen that comment and thought I was walking into a disaster!

Having my home salon is the best thing I could have done for my career - I'm earning more now working 25-30 hours p/week that when I did 45 hours in a high street salon. Whats not to love? Choosing your own hours, clients, products, the freedom of having a day off when YOU want one, having a huge sense of achievement when you see your business grow and not working your backside off for someone else. If you work hard and put in 100% you WILL be successful, don't let anyone drag you down as there is always someone who will try! :biggrin: xxx

Latest posts

Back