Will this work? Colour stripping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so what would you guys suggest? Lol got a little lost on the thread ;)

For black hair you need to strip
Using bleach nothing else will remove it, using a NON clarifying shampoo dulls the colour down may in my experience get rid of over toned hair or low lights but it will not remove black...wish it did would make our lives of lot easier lol xxx

Why not try a colour remover first before using bleach as she only wants to go a bit lighter?

I might do a peroxide wash first (no bleach powder) if it's XXL black before using a remover such as Affinage Eraser. (Depends on results of bleaching on test pieces.)

I have used shampoo three for years .If my toner grabs too much. It removes it..
So according to you all shampoos do is remove gunk therefore why are we convincing 1000s of clients to buy our good quality ones over say 1 generic shampoo?
Also if course proctor and gamble are going to say that! How many people do you think avoid buying their products because they have heard they will strip their expensive colour??
If it was independent studies then I would think differently but it's rather like Benson And Hedges doing research on the affects of smoking lol
D

totally agree with you, i think its common knowledge that dependent on the type of shampoo you use will vary on tge amount of hair colour and lets not forget natural oils that are stripped from the hair, in cheaper brands and products especially otc ones vary in what is in the ingrediants, and certain ingrediants will speed up this process and also how acid or alkaline a product is and theres a great post on sg i read a while back on johnson baby shampoo and is infact very alkaline,
and some of those cheap brands i would suspect are not very kind to your hair for these reasons ,
of course it matters what shampoo you use and we all know from personal experiance etc that they do aid in stripping natural oils and colours from your hair!
and for a big company who sells most of the cheap brands is not going to change what i know !

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek

totally agree with you, i think its common knowledge that dependent on the type of shampoo you use will vary on tge amount of hair colour and lets not forget natural oils that are stripped from the hair, in cheaper brands and products especially otc ones vary in what is in the ingrediants, and certain ingrediants will speed up this process and also how acid or alkaline a product is and theres a great post on sg i read a while back on johnson baby shampoo and is infact very alkaline,
and some of those cheap brands i would suspect are not very kind to your hair for these reasons ,
of course it matters what shampoo you use and we all know from personal experiance etc that they do aid in stripping natural oils and colours from your hair!
and for a big company who sells most of the cheap brands is not going to change what we know :D
x

Do you think that 'expensive' or 'salon' shampoo contain better or more high quality ingrediants?

yes and not only that are more concentrated in the ingrediants meaning you need less of the product to do the job i know a 500ml proffesional shampoo will last me at least 4 weeks a over the counter product 1-2 weeks because you need more of it to lather up etc and also you can tell the diffrence in your hairs condition :) x

AcidPerm what volume would you use for the wash? Would you do that then use the stripper (the only one capitol stock is goldwells) she just wants to go chocolate brown.

Has anyone used goldwell?

Firstly, it depends on the results of any test pieces. I'd probably try bleach to test lift potential, condition and also check for metallic salts.

I'd use no more than 6% in a peroxide wash with a clarifying shampoo. It just needs to open the cuticle to kick start the process and remove some of the black.

I haven't used a Goldwell remover for some time. I used Goldwell at college but the colour remover was a bit pants. However, the formula might have changed since then.

Lovely thanks, ill do a bleach test and see what the result is. If it works ill try the shampoo and 6% and take it from there :/ this'll teach her. Luckily her hair is strong!

My colleague told me today that head and shoulders work with stripping colour out of hair?!

I've never heard of this? Does it work?

Head and shoulders does strip color. it also strips a layer of skin off the scalp.

The chemical ingredient in the shampoo is called Sodium Thioglycolate, it takes a layer of skin off the scalp (epidermis) to remove dandruff and flakes, hence being for dandruff suffers. So the chemical then strips the hair of color. The chemical is used in toilet bleach, oven cleaner, afro relaxing, perm solution ect..

Head and shoulders does strip color. it also strips a layer of skin off the scalp.

The chemical ingredient in the shampoo is called Sodium Thioglycolate, it takes a layer of skin off the scalp (epidermis) to remove dandruff and flakes, hence being for dandruff suffers. So the chemical then strips the hair of color. The chemical is used in toilet bleach, oven cleaner, afro relaxing, perm solution ect..

i new it worked just didnt know the science behind it :D
i was thinking earlier when wasing up well if water cleaned and stripped hair (refering to a comment earlier) then you could wash up without chemicals etc
but it just wouldnt be possible you need the liqued to break the dirt down just like hair :D lol but obv proffesional products have more softer ingrediants yer they still do the job the need to do ,
washibg up liqued vosene johnsons baby shampoo are also good at removing colour x

I knew i was right, it isn't a "myth" it's not just water that strips colour! Lol

I am quoting you because others have replied since then assuming that what you have said is fact.

It really tires me on here that people can come along (and I am not trying to single out your post in it's own, I have noticed scores of posts just like yours recently) and post with mis-information that frankly could be dangerous or misunderstood all wrapped up in a bit of scientific sounding nonsense.

What makes it even worse is that so many of the posters here are willing to believe it without even doing their own research.

Head & shoulders contains no such ingredient as Sodium Thioglycolate and I have no idea who told you that. Head and shoulders is a normal shampoo that contains an additive known as Pyrithione zinc. This additive is what does the job of clearing the scalp of excess dry skin. That's the only difference between dandruff relieving shampoos and regular shampoos. Pyrithone zinc is commonly used in professional shampoos too if they are designed to clear the scalp.

Please people, don't believe everything you read on Facebook or forums without checking out the facts yourself, especially before repeating those same statements as fact otherwise you risk making yourself look stupid infront of clients who know better.

If people are posting things as fact they really should reference where there is proof of the same otherwise it should be taken as hearsay.

Here's my evidence and well worth reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrithione_zinc

Meanwhile I will leave you with the following fact I discovered the other day - it turns out that if you colour a clients hair with any level red 6 it actually contains the blood of beetles - and you know it's true because I am telling you it is. ;)

Stay safe and check your facts everyone!

The idea head and shoulders 'strips' colour is a hairdressing myth. The fact is that water is the only cause of colour fade during shampooing. Washing the hair with any shampoo will not fade the colour any more than just using plain water.

However some shampoos can help protect coloured hair, by essentially water-proofing the hair. So using a non-conditioning shampoo would be the best choice. Better still take up swimming and watch the colour drain away in no time.

Just wondering why sulphate free shampoos are supposed to be a lot kinder to the hair xx

Just wondering why sulphate free shampoos are supposed to be a lot kinder to the hair xx

google it but from what i remembered is its something to do with salts lol x

I am quoting you because others have replied since then assuming that what you have said is fact.

It really tires me on here that people can come along (and I am not trying to single out your post in it's own, I have noticed scores of posts just like yours recently) and post with mis-information that frankly could be dangerous or misunderstood all wrapped up in a bit of scientific sounding nonsense.

What makes it even worse is that so many of the posters here are willing to believe it without even doing their own research.

Head & shoulders contains no such ingredient as Sodium Thioglycolate and I have no idea who told you that. Head and shoulders is a normal shampoo that contains an additive known as Pyrithione zinc. This additive is what does the job of clearing the scalp of excess dry skin. That's the only difference between dandruff relieving shampoos and regular shampoos. Pyrithone zinc is commonly used in professional shampoos too if they are designed to clear the scalp.

Please people, don't believe everything you read on Facebook or forums without checking out the facts yourself, especially before repeating those same statements as fact otherwise you risk making yourself look stupid infront of clients who know better.

If people are posting things as fact they really should reference where there is proof of the same otherwise it should be taken as hearsay.

Here's my evidence and well worth reading: Zinc pyrithione - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Meanwhile I will leave you with the following fact I discovered the other day - it turns out that if you colour a clients hair with any level red 6 it actually contains the blood of beetles - and you know it's true because I am telling you it is. ;)

Stay safe and check your facts everyone!

Sodium Thioglycolate or Ammonium Hydroxide, is a harsh acidic chemical used in all pharmaceuticals for its abrasive nature. It is used in hair removal creams, toilet bleach and oven cleaner. In large %'s its very dangerous, but in small amounts it helps cleanse the hair, body or face.
It is one of the most commonly used household chemicals as it is a very souble substance in water and actually helps breakdown minerals, hence being used for cleaning or perming/relaxing. Its common name is 'caustic soda, or Lye'

Zinc Pyrithione is an actibacteral chemical ADDATIVE used in many medicated shampoos, it is commonly used in most anti dandfruff shampoos, to help keep the subactious gland under control and to stop the forming of bacteria on the scalp. The reason for this is, is when the scalpm flakes, new skin is visable and very suseptable to infection.

Another commonly used chemical is, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. It is a detergent and this is what cleanses the hair. It is water based and the molceue had a water loving head and a oil loving tai. The head sticks to the water, and the tail to the oil, this is then able to be washed away, as water alone will not cleanse the hair.

I can not back up what I said about head and shoulders, so for that, geeks i aplogise profulsey. My reason for my statment was i have made shampoo, ive seen these chemcials and lots of others go into shampoos of all kinds, so from my knowdlege this is what was commonly used.

But I also feel you have contradicted yourself. 'Wikipedia' is not a reliable source of information, as it is a user based encyclopedia and holds no truth. As a user based website, a lot of it could be and will be un-factual and have no evidence to back it up.

So as for me just listening to everyone else. I think you need to look at yourself before making judgment, as my statement was based on my personal experience.

I would also like to add, that I found your statement to be harsh, rude and uncalled for.

Again geeks, I am truly sorry if I have mistaken you.

Sodium Thioglycolate or Ammonium Hydroxide, is a harsh acidic chemical used in all pharmaceuticals for its abrasive nature. It is used in hair removal creams, toilet bleach and oven cleaner. In large %'s its very dangerous, but in small amounts it helps cleanse the hair, body or face.
It is one of the most commonly used household chemicals as it is a very souble substance in water and actually helps breakdown minerals, hence being used for cleaning or perming/relaxing. Its common name is 'caustic soda, or Lye'

Zinc Pyrithione is an actibacteral chemical ADDATIVE used in many medicated shampoos, it is commonly used in most anti dandfruff shampoos, to help keep the subactious gland under control and to stop the forming of bacteria on the scalp. The reason for this is, is when the scalpm flakes, new skin is visable and very suseptable to infection.

Another commonly used chemical is, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. It is a detergent and this is what cleanses the hair. It is water based and the molceue had a water loving head and a oil loving tai. The head sticks to the water, and the tail to the oil, this is then able to be washed away, as water alone will not cleanse the hair.

I can not back up what I said about head and shoulders, so for that, geeks i aplogise profulsey. My reason for my statment was i have made shampoo, ive seen these chemcials and lots of others go into shampoos of all kinds, so from my knowdlege this is what was commonly used.

But I also feel you have contradicted yourself. 'Wikipedia' is not a reliable source of information, as it is a user based encyclopedia and holds no truth. As a user based website, a lot of it could be and will be un-factual and have no evidence to back it up.

So as for me just listening to everyone else. I think you need to look at yourself before making judgment, as my statement was based on my personal experience.

I would also like to add, that I found your statement to be harsh, rude and uncalled for.

Again geeks, I am truly sorry if I have mistaken you.

Don't take it so personally - I did state that it wasn't your particular post I was attacking, but many like them.

I am glad though that you have realised there is no shampoo in the world that contains Thioglycolate in any form (unless you would like to introduce a new hair removing shampoo that is).

I understand Wikipedia is an online source that anyone can edit, but vs your clearly hazy and incorrect anecdotal memory as evidence it seems in this case it has been more reliable.

I would still encourage people to check their facts before posting something as 'true'.

On the subject my friend did this trick she got off YouTube! I told her not to do anything like this but she did it anyway she got shampoo and crushed up vitamin c tablets and made a mixture put it on the hair and it did lift about a level of colour. She got me to feel her hair when I saw her and it felt fine. I didn't really know what to say to be honest as when she told me I was like,yeah as of that will work, but it did. Can someone please explain how it happened. I am no scientist and would never ever recomend a home remedy I want to know how it was done though. Science geeks!!?? Xx

On the subject my friend did this trick she got off YouTube! I told her not to do anything like this but she did it anyway she got shampoo and crushed up vitamin c tablets and made a mixture put it on the hair and it did lift about a level of colour. She got me to feel her hair when I saw her and it felt fine. I didn't really know what to say to be honest as when she told me I was like,yeah as of that will work, but it did. Can someone please explain how it happened. I am no scientist and would never ever recomend a home remedy I want to know how it was done though. Science geeks!!?? Xx

Vitamin C is an ascorbic acid based vitamin, so my theory maybe that as this is acid, the color was lifted by the acid?

And to back up my theory, I have included this.
Ingredients of Vitamin C Tablets & Their Reaction to Acids | eHow.com

I could be wrong.

Don't take it so personally - I did state that it wasn't your particular post I was attacking, but many like them.

I am glad though that you have realised there is no shampoo in the world that contains Thioglycolate in any form (unless you would like to introduce a new hair removing shampoo that is).

I understand Wikipedia is an online source that anyone can edit, but vs your clearly hazy and incorrect anecdotal memory as evidence it seems in this case it has been more reliable.

I would still encourage people to check their facts before posting something as 'true'.

'Attacking' being the operative word.

I'm sorry, but who gave you permission to go around attacking peoples post's? If you had all the facts, then you would be number one for knowledge, but as you back up your statements with Wikipedia I see no reason for you to go around 'Attacking' posts from others. As like I said, Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information.

We all make mistakes, but for you to go around criticizing people and playing the holy one, just makes you look completely and utterly absorbed in yourself. This is forum, not a court room.

I suggest you go look up the word ''tactful'' since you have to have everything factual.

I can handle people like you criticizing me, but some others cant, especially the new starters so I suggest you do less 'Attacking' and more helping.

Like I said, were here for help, not to judge and point out flaws.

Praaaisee the lord! ;)

Latest posts

Back