Work Related Injuries

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgloverfam

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a work related injury, or illness?
I remember in beauty school, they warned us about carpal tunnel syndrome like it was the plague, and we were bound to get it.
I have to say, I have been blessed, and never had any injuries, or illnesses related to my job.
I have however occasionally glued my fingers stuck, got a nail clipping popped in my eye, spilled primer all over myself, and stabbed myself with a VERY SHARP nipper (still have a scar!). And I absolutely need to have a massage at least every two weeks for all the pedicures I do (my poor back!)
Have any of you Geeks ever had any injuries?

Like you, I have never really suffered from any work related injury.

I once had a bad spell of tennis elbow and soreness in my shoulder (this happened quite suddenly after 7 years of working, without ever having a pain anywhere). I found out that my chair position had been change while I was away for a vacation and the higher position caused me to be out of balance and thus the pain. I fixed the chair height and that was the end of that!

You would think to hear many people talk that all nail technicians would have carpel tunnel problems, allergies, asthma, and general poisoning from 'all those nasty chemicals' we work with. Such a load of rubbish if one has the right education in the first place and learns to work safely and if technicians take manufacturer's advice re ventilation (which here in the UK they are generally very bad about)... there don't need to be any problems.

I have Tendonitis in my shoulder which I presume is because of my work I see a chiropractor but its not getting any better (any advice anyone?)
Geeg I have to agree with you about the ventilation (or lack of it here in the UK)and also the Hygiene & Qualification issues.amongst other things.
Here in Birmingham(I don't know about anywhere else ) You dont seem to need qualifications to be a Nailtech anyone can is set themselves up I see so many damaged nails i've visited a lot of NailBars with not a Sanitiser in sight.Dirty white buffers ect.Some of which are in Markets where you have to use the public toilet to wash your hands.(Birmingham Public toilets are filthy)
I do think that there sould be more legislation to protect the public.
There are also a lot of good Nailbars here also but we need to get the others to clean up their act.(I hope I havn't offended anyone ).

Ruby :)

Ruby said:
I have Tendonitis in my shoulder which I presume is because of my work I see a chiropractor but its not getting any better (any advice anyone?)
Geeg I have to agree with you about the ventilation (or lack of it here in the UK)and also the Hygiene & Qualification issues.amongst other things.
Here in Birmingham(I don't know about anywhere else ) You dont seem to need qualifications to be a Nailtech anyone can is set themselves up I see so many damaged nails i've visited a lot of NailBars with not a Sanitiser in sight.Dirty white buffers ect.Some of which are in Markets where you have to use the public toilet to wash your hands.(Birmingham Public toilets are filthy)
I do think that there sould be more legislation to protect the public.
There are also a lot of good Nailbars here also but we need to get the others to clean up their act.(I hope I havn't offended anyone ) :)
If you have tendonitus in your shoulder, then here is what you do: You must lower your chair height so that when your arm is at the 45 degree position -- your forearm is resting on the table. NEVER lift your forearm off the table when you are filing and buffing (this is what coauses theproblem inyour sholder). ALWAYS your forearm should be supported by the table at least from the elbow to the half way mark on your forearm.

And make your clients accommodate you by keeping their hands where it is most comfortable for you to work in that position.

ooh i had tendonitus in my foot , it was sooo painful , but i dont know why it came on , i just woke up one morning and it hurt so bad i thought i had broken it while i was asleep lol , i had to go to the hospital they strapped it up , put me on ibuprofen and told me to put ice packs on it at regular intervels, it lasted about a week , i really hope yours gets better soon love dee

geeg said:
If you have tendonitus in your shoulder, then here is what you do: You must lower your chair height so that when your arm is at the 45 degree position -- your forearm is resting on the table. NEVER lift your forearm off the table when you are filing and buffing (this is what coauses theproblem inyour sholder). ALWAYS your forearm should be supported by the table at least from the elbow to the half way mark on your forearm.

And make your clients accommodate you by keeping their hands where it is most comfortable for you to work in that position.
Thank you so much for this advice. I always have my chair as high as it will go. And I feel as if I'm always trying to pull my clients hands across the table to me. I sometimes have shoulder/neck pain, so I will definetly lower my chair.

Thank Geeg! I've suddenly realised why I have a pain in my shoulder - I don't have my arm on the table when I file or buff!

Funny how you often need someone to point out the obvious!?

Thanks again Geeg!

Kx

Same here...i always file/buff with my elbow up in the air (well, nthing supporting it)...so I will now conciously try to keep my forearm supported....thanks for the tip Geeg....I do get shoulder and back pain after sitting there for a full day of nail treatments!!!

Hi Geeg, I have a new client coming to me who says she has a torn tendon and has done for a couple of years and she says she has tendonitus. She has booked in for a full body massage - Can you give me any advice on treatment - does this contraindicate the treatment?? Or do i need to adopt any techniques for the injured shoulder?

Thanks Lisa

Latest posts

Back