Working Abroad

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnie

Reaction score
Can anyone help.

I have been offered a weeks work in spain this summer doing nails, but I'm not sure the best way to travel with my products. I don't think I can take them in my hand luggage. Should I put them in the hold with lots of FRAGILE stickers all over? Do I need to ask permission from the airline? I have this horrid image that my luquid will leak all over my powders and I will end up with one lump!!!!!

Suggestions on a postcard!:cool:

You are best to post your flammables first or buy your products in Spain. This includes enamels and monomer as well as remover, hand sanitizer, and primer etc.

It is ILLEGAL to fly with flammables (in or out of the hold) and the fines if you are caught doing so are astronomical. If in any doubt, ring the airline and ask.

Wow...... Feeling really silly. That hadn't even crossed my mind. I didn't realise is was illegal!
I might have to rethink the whole idea. It could end up costing me more than I'll get.
Thanks for the tip.

But you can take everything else with you - just wrap things seperately just in case, but if its packed tightly it shouldn't be a problem. I travel with my gear all the time, and have never had any problems. If I've forgotten to get rid of things like remover etc, and they go through my bag, they just make me pour it away before checking my bag in. The worsts thing that has happened has been a bottle of red polish breaking, but since it was in a zip-up bag with only other bottles of polish, it was very easy to clean up.

I know of NO country that allows flammable items to be shipped internationally by post. You could check with you local post office to be sure, but be sure you do that.

Shipping flammable items illegally carries heavy fines these days. I think you should contact the airlines you are flying with, and ask their policy. Most have a legal and accepted way for you to pack flammable items. Many personal use items are "flammable" so people do travel with flammable items everyday on airlines. Just call to ask, but don't ship by post ahead of time. It is unlikely that is legal.

betsy@nailite said:
but don't ship by post ahead of time. It is unlikely that is legal.
i think you'll find that if you use a recognised 'carrier' of nail goods then it is legal and most definitely the safest way of transporting goods.
it all comes down to being honest with whichever carrier you choose, tell them what goods you are sending, ask for their advice and take it from there.

betsy@nailite said:
I know of NO country that allows flammable items to be shipped internationally by post. You could check with you local post office to be sure, but be sure you do that.

Shipping flammable items illegally carries heavy fines these days. I think you should contact the airlines you are flying with, and ask their policy. Most have a legal and accepted way for you to pack flammable items. Many personal use items are "flammable" so people do travel with flammable items everyday on airlines. Just call to ask, but don't ship by post ahead of time. It is unlikely that is legal.

Of course you can ship ahead of time or I wouldn't have advised you to do it.

You just have to do it with a carrier like DHL who will send them for you the correct way as flammable goods.

How 'n heck do you think I get my products out here in Spain :rolleyes: ??

Thanks guys for all the info. I obviously need to think long and hard before I do this. It just sounded like fun. Didn't think it would be so tricky.

What if you would think of alternative products? how about some gels? I would like to go to do a job somewhere else too, thinking about it anyway and there are couple of things that I could think of: can the organisation offering the job help you with shipping your stuff or is it possible drive there? This summer I am going to do couple of weddings in north Africa and I will drive there through France, ship to Algiers and there we are.......just a thought..... It will be my holiday at the same time too, so it is ok, kids will love it.

Latest posts

Back