Working as a nail tech in a hairdresser's?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cla3104

Reaction score
Hi, I am seeing the owner of a hairdressers about working there a couple of days a week doing nails. Can anyone advise of things to ask - what rates are acceptable etc I haven't got a clue xx

Any advice welcomed x

I would ask:

How much is the rent?
When do you want it paying and how?
What this cost includes?
Will you advertise for me?

I assume you're buying your own stock but if not, what the agreement is with that too.

x

Thanks so much... I think she mentioned taking a percentage of what I make rather than paying rent. What would be reasonable? Many thanks for replying xx

Thanks so much... I think she mentioned taking a percentage of what I make rather than paying rent. What would be reasonable? Many thanks for replying xx

No problems.

Yes it's often either a set amount each week / month or a percentage of what you earn.

If you're really busy then the set amount works out best but if you're not then you end up paying rent sometimes out of your own pocket.

Paying a percentage is good at the start as if you're not busy, you have nothing to pay for.

Hope this helps x

What percentage would be reasonable? I don't want to get ripped off xx

I rent a table in a hair salon and I'm on 60/40 commission until I build up a decent client base. Then I will move to a set rate per week. I take 60% because I'm providing my own products and equipment.

OK so I've done some research.... What would you say was best (for me) as I will be starting from scratch without a client base ... A 60/40 split - me taking 60% as I will use my own products, or the owner taking 15% of my daily takings ?

Owner taking 15% would be better than them taking 40%.

I pay £50pw and this week have taken just under £500 (I'm only part time). I would be gutted to hand over 40% of this!!! I'd definitely push for a set rent xx

Lucy do you mind telling me what hours you work part time to earn £500? X

One advantage of a percentage for the hair salon is the salon owner has a vested interest in promoting your services. A lot can depend on the location of salon and how many nail bars/beauty salons in same area.

I'd say go for a % that they take from you. A set rent sounds good until you have a really poor week and still have to pay your rent. If you negotiate a % then you always get the bigger % but your never going to be in the situation where your paying more in rent than you had actually made......
Based on past experience

Lucy do you mind telling me what hours you work part time to earn £500? X

Sorry only just seen this! I work approx 25hrs a week - sometimes more, sometimes less. The perks of being SE! Xxx

I'd say go for a % that they take from you. A set rent sounds good until you have a really poor week and still have to pay your rent. If you negotiate a % then you always get the bigger % but your never going to be in the situation where your paying more in rent than you had actually made......
Based on past experience

I think having to pay rent regardless is a good motivator! Maybe you could negotiate an initial rent free period while you get up and running OP? I negotiated my first 8 weeks free xx

Latest posts

Back