Working for myself for the first time, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlouise

Jules
Reaction score
Hey everyone hope you're all doing well.
I've been offered a job elsewhere at a salon doing nails in a hairdressers. I would.oay weekly for rent and everything i take would be mine. I just have to provide my own equipment and all products. Can work whenever the hell I want, even on a Sunday. Very excited and grateful.
Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm abit worried of having to keep up with products (I'm not sure why because It would be only me using so surely i wouldn't run out every week!)
Managing my own cash box and card machine etc.
Where I am now it's a self employment but it's 55/45 and they provide everything. So I've never had to do the full self employment thing.
I know alot of you work for yourselves so just looking for some tips and advice from people that are or have been in my position.
I appreciate all the replies so thankyou in advance :) xxxx

Even if you were on a split, you should have still been doing your own consultation cards, taking your own money, setting your own hours/rates, it should have been no different :)

I know this has been made aware to me last few months which Is why I've been wanting to leave.

Go for it. I rent a room in a salon so went self employed January it’s going well I’ve put in place a booking fee policy basically saying that to secure their appointment they need to pay a non refundable booking fee as I had too many no shows and appointments cancelled at least that way I am not left with nothing if they don’t come for their appointment I also try and text everyone to remind them of their appointments and I always take numbers in order to do this.

Go for it. I rent a room in a salon so went self employed January it’s going well I’ve put in place a booking fee policy basically saying that to secure their appointment they need to pay a non refundable booking fee as I had too many no shows and appointments cancelled at least that way I am not left with nothing if they don’t come for their appointment I also try and text everyone to remind them of their appointments and I always take numbers in order to do this.
Thankyou for your reply :)
Yeah it sounds like a great opportunity to me.
I'm worried about all the products I'll need and being in charge of all the money and record cards. I know that's so silly but I've been a part of a salon for such a long time now and going solo has me abit apprehensive. Sorry for rambling. Do you find managing your own products etc alright? Xxxcx

I went mobile first before I started in a salon so that I could get used to working for myself. Top tip: check your stock daily and keep in stock plenty of everything so that you don’t run out, write lists for what you need to buy and don’t leave getting it all to the last minute. Good luck :)

You get to know the products you need as you go along, I sometimes think ‘oh I need this or that’ then I know what I need. Being mobile first helped my confidence immensely.

Ah thank you! Yeah at the salon now we make notes of what we need etc. It would be just nails I'd be doing so I doubt if run out of everything at once ad would just keep everything topped up. Can't believe I've been so silly to be taken for a ride (being treated like an employee) I had no idea how bad it was. I'm quite excited go start manning my own diary and allowing myself days off and early finishes once in a while haha xx

I write a list of what I need and get it all on the monthly vat free days that also saves on money. Another tip to make your bed roll last. Each square has 2 layers so I also half it when refreshing my bed so one roll does me double xxx

I'd suggest that you get yourself some part-time paid work - maybe somewhere where you can chat to people and tell them about your new venture. It can be terrifying to rely on your own efforts for every penny you take - take some of the stress out of it.

Decide what product range you want - there are usually set up deals to help you out.

Before you leave set up your own client record cards with contact info on. These are your clients so you can legally contact your client base to give them your new address. Make a note of your clients colour choice. - be discreet if you need to, write up notes in the loo. Set up a business page on your Facebook account and create an Instagram account.

Take a photo of each of your clients nails and upload (tag your clients with their permission). Get your clients used to being shown your work online at the start of your treatment before they choose their colour. Get them used to seeing your new branding. (We have our clients hold our business card when we photo them)

Make a note of the most popular colours in your salon and spend time choosing 20-30 colours. Buy your basics online - Your Salon Store does VAT free offers to new accounts and their basics line is good quality for polish remover and you can buy an amazing OPI nail cuticle tool which is just the best thing ever. If you want furniture or equipment check out Salons Direct and Beauty Express. I find Ellisons website slow and unresponsive and they're a bit pricey. If you need a bright light shop around hard. I just bought a daylight led lamp for my couch for £102 from icswretail.co.uk. It's almost double that price on Ellisons!

It's easier to have a system. I do a monthly stock take and I make a note of my monthly takings and treatment numbers. You'll soon get a feel for how long a pack of 500 cotton pads last. You may just want to start off shopping in Superdrug for your bits and pieces - but switch to shopping online as soon as you can - you'll save time and money.

Thankyou everyone for your advice!!
I have a full diary every month and full til Christmas- Including Xmas too.
I know majority of them would move with me as most just have a simple gel polish and would get the same brand we use.
I think my main concern also is telling my current work colleagues that I'm m
Leaving as it's been just over 10 years but things need to change sometimes dont they. For those that don't know I am meant to be self employed right now but they treat me as a employee rather than for myself
They take a 55% of what I do and provide everything but I can't control my customers and can't contact them go see if they can come earlier because that is unprofessional! Apparently

Thankyou for your reply :)
Yeah it sounds like a great opportunity to me.
I'm worried about all the products I'll need and being in charge of all the money and record cards. I know that's so silly but I've been a part of a salon for such a long time now and going solo has me abit apprehensive. Sorry for rambling. Do you find managing your own products etc alright? Xxxcx
Yeah I’m fully stocked with my products. Worry is just getting enough clients but I guess that might be everyone worries.

Latest posts

Back