Working from home but no room for salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Hun, this looks amazing! Well done you! Thank you so much for the pictures 😊 xx

No problem! Thank you. I love it!

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

Ive bought a three birth caravan and am currently turning it into a salon on my drive x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow that's different did you need permission as it's a caravan

It will be the same criteria as a summer house for insurance.
I've posted a couple of piccies of progress so far. The black corner will be the spraytan area xx

Attachments

• 1395134905440.jpg
    1395134905440.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 717
  • 1395134925905.jpg
    1395134925905.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 752
I've posted a couple of piccies of progress so far. The black corner will be the spraytan area xx

What a good idea, if ever you move house it'll be so easy to take your salon with you! It looks great so far, keep us posted with its progress :0) x

Will do xx :-D

Love this idea. My other half works in the static business I'd love to pop one in my back garden and do this. I'm too tall for a tourer at 6ft tall I struggle xx

My dad is 6ft 1" and stands up fine xx

Attachments

• 1397418806480.jpg
    1397418806480.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 645
  • 1397418834089.jpg
    1397418834089.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 623
  • 1397418855483.jpg
    1397418855483.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 628
I don't doubt there are loads of nail techs who are successful and do great work operating out of their kitchens or lounge rooms but I feel to offer professional beauty treatments to clients if you're working from home, it should at least in a dedicated closed off spare room, or a detached or semi detached room from the house.
Also from a Health and Safety perspective, I wouldn't do nail treatments in areas I prepare food for myself or my family or general living areas. Most Government health and safety regulations also advise against performing any nail treatments in areas also used for food preparation because chemicals contained in things such as nail dust and other salon chemicals used during treatments can be carried accidentally to other food items or surfaces, which may cause health problems if swallowed.

I don't doubt there are loads of nail techs who are successful and do great work operating out of their kitchens or lounge rooms but I feel to offer professional beauty treatments to clients if you're working from home, it should at least in a dedicated closed off spare room, or a detached or semi detached room from the house.
Also from a Health and Safety perspective, I wouldn't do nail treatments in areas I prepare food for myself or my family or general living areas. Most Government health and safety regulations also advise against performing any nail treatments in areas also used for food preparation because chemicals contained in things such as nail dust and other salon chemicals used during treatments can be carried accidentally to other food items or surfaces, which may cause health problems if swallowed.

Very strongly disagree with your comment here. I think it's unfair. Not everyone has the luxury of spare rooms, log cabins or huge luxury salons built into the side of their house etc... But we all have just as much right to do nails and make as good a living as each other albeit in more humble surroundings! Its up to the clients to choose what they prefer and pay accordingly, same way a spa treatments will cost more than in a back alley salon!

I really feel as fellow professionals we should be supportive to each other, not judgemental and condescending!I would never judge or put down another persons set up because I know some of the richest and most successful nails techs I've met do it in their living rooms!

Furthermore, I go mobile a lot and often do clients in their own kitchens, so if what your saying is true mobile work would be dead in the water.

Yet I get more mobile enquiries than I do for my home salon (annoyingly). More and more people are moving away from high street salons for a reason, they love the convenience of mobile work and some love the intimacy of a home salon!

No one here is suggesting you do nails on your cooker! Keep it separate, keep it clean and sanitary and work with less overheads probably more profit and arguably less stress! As long as it's clean and sanitary.. Who are we to judge where anybody does nails?

Last edited:
Sure, however you've misinterpreted my differing view.
First my thoughts on therapists working from home and conducting business in a shared living space was from a view of professionalism. That's about as far as that goes, not about whether someone has the right to do nails and make a good living.
However on the other hand, if we're trained professionals operating legitimate businesses it's important we also follow the Government Health and Safety Guidelines for where we live, irrespective of what our personal opinion may or may not be about where someone does nails.

Got some photos for you chick!
View attachment 59228View attachment 59229View attachment 59230View attachment 59231View attachment 59232View attachment 59233View attachment 59234
Last one is it folded awy. Takes about 10 mins to set up as I have to cover the coffee table and sofas because of my minions sticky stains!!! And I'm just waiting for my replacement price lists as iv put my prices up, and il be getting proper salon chairs eventually. Just starting out so in building it up slowly. But all this here is free and up-cycled. I love it

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

Gorgeous! What a fab idea too - if only my son were older!

Proper love the idea of converting a caravan on your drive as we'll emmajane, be well remembered by clients as it's so unique, would love to see pics when your set up looks amazing so far!

Sure, however you've misinterpreted my differing view.
First my thoughts on therapists working from home and conducting business in a shared living space was from a view of professionalism. That's about as far as that goes, not about whether someone has the right to do nails and make a good living.
However on the other hand, if we're trained professionals operating legitimate businesses it's important we also follow the Government Health and Safety Guidelines for where we live, irrespective of what our personal opinion may or may not be about where someone does nails.

Of course... But who says that techs working from home can't do that? Not the government that's for sure! Dunno where you are but it's common knowledge the UK government is too lax on these things! But just because someone works at home in their living space etc who says they are less professional? This is where my point about being judgemental comes in, you are assuming because they are at home they are less professional just because they are at home. This is not the case, I've been in home salons where they are the height of professionalism similarly I have been in some posh looking high street salons where they have been super unprofessional!

Just my opinion anyway... And you are entitled to your own! It's good to hear it but I'm all for the under dog! Give me good, honest, unpretentious, clean & professional work any day! and I believe you don't have to have a fancy all singing all dancing salon to produce that!

Last edited:
All I'll say further hazeleyes is if you re-read my posts, you'll see in reference to the original posters question, "...was wondering if any of you have the same problem and if its professional enough to have client sitting at your kitchen table?" that I didn't say it was unprofessional to work from home but IF you're working from home, my thoughts are it should at least in a dedicated closed off spare room, or a detached or semi detached room from the house.....and away from shared living space (as in lounge room, kitchen etc) from a view of professionalism. Not sure where in that it was said home businesses in general were unprofessional, or techs quality of work was being questioned.

I've been going to the same hairdresser for treatments for 17 years and she works from home, but has a dedicated room for hair and beauty services and yes I do think it looks more professional setup that way.

It's good that you're obviously passionate about your beauty business, as am I about my own - of which you seem to assume I don' t work from home myself - but try not to read too much into it, all it is is just a different view. That's all.

I use a portable waxing bed and camping table in my living room which I collapse down.

I bought a wipe down cover for my dining room table and cut down a second to size for my camping table so it looks quite smart.

Works well for me. My clients prefer more of a home environment than a salon look, plus it means that my gear is portable when I need it to be.

I use my dinning room, if I'm being lazy we have dinner on trays. Lol clients don't mind, I do mobile but some prefer to come to me rather than have it done at home.

emmajane, hows your caravan going?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi I'm thinking of working from my living room and just wondered how you word this on your price lists?
Thanks in advance!

I use my dining room just lucky I guess to have a spare room if I didn't I'd probably opt for mobile :) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1399485475.772586.jpg

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

I just call it a home salon. I do it from my lounge

Emma-Louise

Latest posts

Back