Working from home-the dreaded deeds!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zara1002

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

First time posting and I hope some of you who have set up your lovely beauty rooms at home would be able to help me.
I am about to buy a house and have just had a look at the deeds and under the restrictive covenants it says:
"Not to carry on any trade business or manufacture on or in any of the dwellinghouses to be erected on the property..."
What I would like to ask you guys is how many of you went through your deeds with a fine-tooth combe before you set up your treatment rooms, whether in the house or garden summer houses, and does no definitely mean no, or is there any way around it, such as if the council gives me a permission than it should be ok?
One of the main reasons I wanted to buy a house was to have that option of working part time from home, and now there is a big question whether I'd be able to do it.
Any imput, advice or idea would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks

I am pretty sure our papers said that too. But they are so old that we didn't think it would be an issue these days when so many people work from home. Two things, get permission from the council (that doesn't have to be a big deal) and agree what you want to do with yr neighbours. If my neighbours complain then I would have to go back to the council to get full permission. Hope that helps. X

Hello Zara!

I have the same clause in the deeds of my house and I it is a valid clause- it is in your deeds and you must respect it but....

We are not traders or manufacturers. We provide services :)

I have only recently got a log cabin "erected". It took me from September till the end of March to get all paperwork sorted and make it legal.

You must firstly speak to environmental health to see what they expect from you and then contract your planning department.

It is a bit of a grey area and my council was "thinking" about me working from the log cabin for just over 2 months.

When I initially asked them to work from home they were happy but then when I applied for planning permission and obtained it for the log cabin, the working aspect was more difficult.

Feel free to pm me and we can chat over the phone x

Thank you Kate J and sunshineinme! Checking with the
council makes sense. I don't mind jumping through hoops
as long as there's hope I can still get the permission from them.
Thanks again xx

Uh oh I haven't checked my deeds to see if I can work from home :/ better go dig them out!
Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

Dolled up, you made me laugh! I hope it's good news!
:)

If you have lost your deeds can you request a copy from the estate agent? I cant bloody find them :/ xx

Do you also need to check with your mortgage providers that they are happy with you working from home?

I don't own my house but was under the impression that the mortgage providers might have issues with you working from home too.

Dolled up, you made me laugh! I hope it's good news!
:)

I didnt even know this! My mortgage advisor knew I was going to be working from home but she didnt say anything about me having to check my deeds. Im scared now ):

Ok I never had my deeds thats why I cant find them. Just spoke to my mortgage provider and they have said its not a problem and nothing needs to be changed etc. He also said that it would only become a problem if you had shared ownership of a house. He said that my deeds probably wont have any clauses in preventing me from working from home and he has never come across it before but if I want to find out I can call the land registry xx

Yes, Baggybear, I did hear about having to check with the mortgage provider, but it can't be worse than people who rent their properties out without asking them. I'm beginning to think that if we all followed every single rule out there, we wouldn't dare to leave our beds in the morning! Too many rules, conditions and restrictions. It should be made easy for people who want to work from home, not harder, if only because we actually WANT to work. There, I went off on one... :)
Dolled up, you might be lucky and not have that restriction in your deeds, especially if your house is older. I am getting in touch with a solicitor to have it checked out properly, as I don't really want to break the law, don't have the stamina for it :)
Thanks for your imput, sorry to have scared you :)

Yes, Baggybear, I did hear about having to check with the mortgage provider, but it can't be worse than people who rent their properties out without asking them. I'm beginning to think that if we all followed every single rule out there, we wouldn't dare to leave our beds in the morning! Too many rules, conditions and restrictions. It should be made easy for people who want to work from home, not harder, if only because we actually WANT to work. There, I went off on one... :)
Dolled up, you might be lucky and not have that restriction in your deeds, especially if your house is older. I am getting in touch with a solicitor to have it checked out properly, as I don't really want to break the law, don't have the stamina for it :)
Thanks for your imput, sorry to have scared you :)

Aha no its ok I wouldnt have known otherwise. Im going to call land registry tomo just to make sure :) xx

I own a house that I rent out now, but it does state in my mortgage contract that I would not be allowed to work from home. They don't like to make things easy for you, do they !

Latest posts

Back