Working in America

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterfly69

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been a the trade for about 7 years now, and sometimes get the urge just to go and work in another country.. America.

How will some one go across getting work or work permit or all those things you would need? :rolleyes:

i love London! but I think the weather just gets me down some times:sad::rolleyes:

If anybody has any information it will be appreciated x

Good luck!!

It is very hard to get a green card to work in the USA. Usually you need to be sponsored by an employer, and they usually have to show that on-one else in the USA can do the job they are recruiting you for.

First place to start is with the American Embassy if that is your country of choice.

Other countries such as Australia operate a points scheme where you can work out your eligibility.

Have you thought about another EU country? There are no restrictions on movement within the EU (one of the many benefits of being a part of it) so you can work in any country. You'd just have to learn the language of course.

Emigrating is a very tough decision, and even harder to actually do! I've had some friends do it.

Mat

When we first looked at emmigrating to America we were told by the emmigration company not to bother unless we had one hundred thousand pounds or a PHD. So we looked at Canada instead and moved over here 3 years ago.

There are some great emigration companies out there that can help you and at least let you know if you are eligable before you go spending loads of money!

i have a friend who moved here from italy a few years ago, she is a hair stylist and her certification wouldnt transfer over because we are required to be state licensed. she obtained a student visa and had to complete a cosmetology course at a USCIS approved school. this is probably your best, least expensive option next to marrying an american;) they are always eager to give student visas and if you complete your course of study in the US you can obtain a work visa much easier.

When we first looked at emmigrating to America we were told by the emmigration company not to bother unless we had one hundred thousand pounds or a PHD. So we looked at Canada instead and moved over here 3 years ago.

There are some great emigration companies out there that can help you and at least let you know if you are eligable before you go spending loads of money!

So you would say go to a american immigration office and find out what they say? Does it matter if you have a german pasport? Will I have to get retrained in everything?

My brother is going out there next year, so he wil probly sponser me for a while.:lol: i really want to go. I just don't know were to start.
Help:confused:

Licensing requirements are *very* different in the US and often therapists have to start their training from scratch to get the required certification / license in the USA.

yup you have to retrain. ex coworker moved to USA(his job) and she was unable to work at all. And as for marry an americian very hard these days to. Someone i know married in summer and still having problems getting there PAPERWORK plus some done.:irked:

So you would say go to a american immigration office and find out what they say? Does it matter if you have a german pasport? Will I have to get retrained in everything?

My brother is going out there next year, so he wil probly sponser me for a while.:lol: i really want to go. I just don't know were to start.
Help:confused:

Not an american imagration office - an immigration company. look on the web - there are lots out there. Most will likely charge you for an initial assement but it's only around 30 to 50 gbp. In y opinion it's worth it to find out if you are eligiable before you start spending a lot of time and money on someting you simply might not be eligable for.

Yup unfortunately you would have to retrain and effectively get a student visa. You need to show you have the money for the tuition and living for the first year when you apply.

You would also need money to survive while there. You are allowed to work certain jobs as an international student but you are limited to the hours that you can work.

After training you would then have to apply for a work visa that is sponsored by an employer.

Theres always ways to do it but immigration of any kind to the USA is very difficult if you are an EU cititzen and not a professional.

If you fancy seeing some of America and the Carribean etc you could always look at jobs on cruise liners that go to the region.

Also if you fancy working somewhere like Canada, New Zealand or Australia for a year in a different industry just for life experience, there are programmes for that too.

Latest posts

Back