Working in the USA-work visa etc?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nia7050

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you have worked/working in the US on a non immigrant visa?

I plan to go across to visit friends for a year or so but obvisly I will need a source of income and working as a beauty therapist is the best option as that's what I'm qualified to do.

I was wondering if any of you could share your experience of applying for your visas to finding a job ect.

I have looked at a lot of websites online but they are difficult to understand and overwhelming.

Thanks. xox

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi. I actually moved from the USA over to England so I can't help with the other way around. I can tell you that the process is a long one. Before you go I would check that your qualifications would be accepted wherever you are planning to work as each state has their own regulations. Good luck.

Different states have different regulations ,
Mostly it seems to be about hours in school.

Eg for nails the state I moved to wants 300 hours training .

If you google for the cosmetology board in the state your wanting to go to and then call them they shuld be able to help point you in the right direction,
You might be lucky some states have an out of state test . Makes it a lot easier .

For here have to send my English certificates to an independent company that assesses my qualifications into American equivalents (hours)

And then when that's done they tell you if you need more hours in a class
And then you have to sit the state board exam .

All in all I won't lie its quite frustrating proses and quite costly ,

But before that you will need to do immigration and then get an American social security number , so by the time you have done all that it won't seem so hard cos you will be fab at filling out forms and stuff :)

You can only visit the states for 3 months normally, you need a visa for a year. They are very strict on Brits working there. You usually have to be an "exceptional" person eg. David Beckham, be sponsored by a company there or start your own business that employs min 10 Americans.
If anyone knows of other ways please say.

You can only visit the states for 3 months normally, you need a visa for a year. They are very strict on Brits working there. You usually have to be an "exceptional" person eg. David Beckham, be sponsored by a company there or start your own business that employs min 10 Americans.
If anyone knows of other ways please say.

I was answering more on the licenceing side

Actual visa is a whole other thing .

Short term I don't know . Perhaps on a student visa if you wear to pay/ apply for some sort of schooling .
You will need a visa that enables you to get a social security card , with out one you can't work .

I am not totally sure if you can even get your cosmetology licensee with out a social security number .

permeant resident visa like I have enables me to work do taxes and things.

You will need a sponsorship in the USA . Someone who can prove to imagination they can financially support you 100 % over X amount of years .
Or you can prove you can fund your self but you will have to show you own an amount of money several thousand , not sure how much.

Its not all doom and gloom it is a PITA but it can be done , good luck :)

Best bet on that side is calling the us embassy there in the uk .

Last edited:
Thank you so much!

I emailed the licencing board in Virginia with my qualifications ect. So I'll wait and see what they think.

Yeah I think I will give the US embassy a call because everything I have looked at online is so confusing! Xox

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back