Working location

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautyandme

Reaction score
Hi, I was working out of a room in a centre, anyway things have gone wrong and they have now told me there is not enough space for me any more. So I am out. No contracts, so point in crying over spilt milk.

So I am thinking I am going to go Mobile or get a Garden Room (but needs to be something I can take down when I leave (as I am in rented)

or somehow try to work from inside the home, which is difficult as space in limited.

My question is for those that work from home, but dont have a room solely used for your treatments, do you find yourself moving things in and out of rooms for when you have clients, and how does that work out? Or do any of you make your kids share a room, so that you could start your business?

For those of you that work from your garden, (I have seen posts that some of you work out of summerhouses/cabins) but as I am only renting cant afford to go out and buy a large summerhouse, costing a couple of grand. But could do with something nice, but only a few hundred, any ideas?

And finally going Mobile, apart from having to carry stuff in and out of clients houses, what are the PLUS sides of doing it?

Thanks for any advice.

I think you would be best either trying to find another room or space to rent in another salon or go mobile. There is no point in trying to set up at home if you do not have space you can dedicate to your salon and to set up in a garden you may need planning permission or local authority approval, etc.

Mobile would be great for you because you taking the treatments to the clients and you could fit it round your own availability. However, it takes a lot of hard work to gain a successful mobile business as you have to be so much more organised, ie travelling to and from clients, making sure you have all the products for any possible treatment the clients wants (clients chop and change their minds) and you also have to adapt to working in the clients homes where conditions may not be as comfortable as working at your own work space. Bear in mind too the extra time and cost devoted to each client in travelling to and from them and work that into your prices accordingly.

It is always hard to build a new client base but I would imagine even harder building one as a mobile therapist but if you have the drive and determination, you will succeed.

Good luck xx

hiya,
tbh, I hated being mobile and yearned to have a base. I now work from 2 separate rooms, so still have a bit of too-ing and fro-ing with equipment like my hot stone set.

The only, and I can only emphasis only benefit of working mobile is that you can leave! If someone comes to your home then they seem to think that they are DOING YOU A FAVOUR by staying longer.

Where abouts are you located?

And finally going Mobile, apart from having to carry stuff in and out of clients houses, what are the PLUS sides of doing it?

Thanks for any advice.

I'm mobile and I love it! I only do nails so have relatively little kit to carry..... I feel I offer a really personalised service that people can fit around their lives. They are relaxed and feel comfortable and are often amazed that I can offer a 'salon service' in their own home.

I get a change of scenery for each client, I'm not stuck indoors all day and I schedule in bits and pieces between clients if I need to! The travelling can sometimes be a pain, but I try and organise my diary to minimise the distance between clients.

hth's

Latest posts

Back