working on commission basis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speake 485

Reaction score
Hi guys ive been working mobile for friends n family for a about a year and work in retail part time to cover the bills.
I recently decided i wanted to work in a salon and was approached by a nail/ beauty salon offering part time work on a 40% commission basis of each client i treat. Does any one else work like this? Just looking to see what you guys think and if anyone is in this situation and how well does it work out?.
Because im not nvq level 2 i have lots of seperate qualifications within beauty and nails im struggling to find work within a salon so i did think this sounded quite good?? What do you think???:lol:

Hi ya

who pay's for the stock? The salon?

Hi yeah i dont rent a room or pay for any equiptment the salon provides everything. But im just worried as i have commitments and i rent a property so just concerned if i can make enough money for only working 3-4 days a week. I only like 100 a week now in retail, But i have to be able to make that in the salon..:confused:

I spent the first few years of my career working employed, and for the last 6 years, up until opening my own clinic, I worked self-employed on a commission basis. Mine was 50/50 split, which covered reception, towels, equipment & so forth, but I got nothing on retail (how mean!). I enjoyed it, it certainly makes you self-motivated & one benefit was having the reception, something that I now can't afford.

One key piece of advice, check the contract. Will the clients remain those of the business should you choose to leave, and also check to see if there are clauses on moonlighting/working within a certain distance of the premises should you choose to leave. Technically they shouldn't be able to do this if you're self-employed, but it's worth checking all these things out.

Could you not work part-time elsewhere whilst you test the waters so to speak? I did this for a little while when I first went self-employed as I had the mortgage etc to pay for. It meant working 7am to 8pm most days, but it was a means to an end, so I did it!

40% sounds too much its usually 25-30% I used to work on 30% comm it's horrid in the quiet times but it does force you to get out there and get clients so all in all a good experience.
I bought my own products so the 30% was really for the table rental.
Do not worry about how your qualifications sounds the important thing is that you have them! Take the oppurtunity tho be firm that 40% is too much unless they supply products.

i am renting a room and i will get 60% and the landlord40%.
I am providing my product only, the rest the landlord take care of it (electricity, drinks for clients, appointment...). i have never done this before, but i am sure it will motivate me to work harder!

gaby

Latest posts

Back