Working out colours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missbad

Reaction score
Hi all

I am studying level 2 at college and I am really stuck with working out the %vol for colours. No matter how hard I try i am just not understanding it, does anyone have any helps and suggestions. Even when I read up on it it does not seem to register in my stupid brain. If anyone knows a simple soloution to help me remember i would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Emmax

3 %... to add tone (at same level or darker)
6%... for same level or 1 shade lighter
9%... 2-3 shades lighter
12%... 3-4 shades lighter (highlift tints)
hth x

3 %... to add tone (at same level or darker)
6%... for same level or 1 shade lighter
9%... 2-3 shades lighter
12%... 3-4 shades lighter (highlift tints)
hth x

Hi
Thank you for that. I am going to write it down and keep it with me all the time. I must admit learning the colours has been my worse moment of the whole course. I think my brain is so overloaded its just not keeping anything in.

I will try the tequilla though lol.

Thanks once again x

I have been hairdressing for 23 years and still find colours tricky ! We didnt use 3% at all so thats a new one for me ! You say its to add tone, any chance me an example on what you would use it with? ( please !)

er i would use it for going darker like for a 3/0 or 2/0. i don't want any degree of lift at all so this works fine.
or even if i have done dark brown and bleach highlights and wanted to tone the highlights i would use this or 1.9% with a beige blonde or ash whatever to put over the bleach highlight as this would not effect the brown as it has no degree of lift ... htms..

oh yes the tequila goes down a treat lol xx

Last edited:
i have had trouble with colouring for ages but 8 years on it all makes sense. don't worry it will come , i still need to double check alot of the time. hence me being on salon geek lol
yeah great idea to keep it with you and , maybe you could ask somone you work with to explian why they are choosing whatever colour they are using ect...
it pays to be asking questions all the time and being there when colours are getting mixed....
it will soon set in xxx

we have just been doing this at college, our tutor said
3% is really only for semis
6% is for staying the same or darker
9% up to 4 shades lighter
12% more than 4 shades, high lift

3% is fine used with tint , it really depends on the hair , as ive seen a base 4 lift to a 6 with a semi and 2% , so you really have to use your judgement . 9% is never going to lift hair 4 shades unless its on baby fine hair or used with bleach.
im with jtommo on this , but each manufacturer will have their own recommendations , read the insert with the tube of tint that you use .

I use Wella and I would say that your first % suggestions were right. I have a guy who works with me who reckons 6% can lift up to 3 shades, but as you say I guess its just different brands...

My one tip for colour is to remember tint won't lift tint!! That's something that took forever to get into my brain!!! :D xx

Hi

Thanks all for the advice. What brand would you say was good for colours and the ease of using them.

I like the idea of Matrix but what about wella? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back