Working out cost per service rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great post. And besides all that the peace of mind that you are using products that have been tried and tested are are not full of nasties, is priceless!

You'll have to excuse my thickness..ive been up since five with the twins so i am having a very blonde day..ha ha..i can hear my phone ringing ringing

No worries, thanks for amending your post. Can't give all our secrets away!

And while on the subject, if say, I was charging £20 for a set of nails, overlay, for a certain famous brand, and the girl down the road is charging £25 , overlay for the exact famous brand, wouldn't people come to me more ? So I make more money than her..

Just throwing this one in to see the response !:biggrin:

Not necessarily ... Clients come to each of us for a variety of reasons ...
There are only a certain number of hrs in a working day ... If you both work 8 hrs per day and do 8 sets per day she would earn £40 more than you each day ... !!! So you would have to work an extra 2 sets / extra 2 hrs for the same money ... !!!

Just to throw that one back in ... <3

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Not necessarily ... Clients come to each of us for a variety of reasons ...
There are only a certain number of hrs in a working day ... If you both work 8 hrs per day and do 8 sets per day she would earn £40 more than you each day ... !!! So you would have to work an extra 2 sets / extra 2 hrs for the same money ... !!!

Just to throw that one back in ... <3

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

And that my friend is an extra two grand a year .. Plus the tech charging more will have more clients because people know she is worth it. It's not about comparing one cheap service against one more expensive service ... You've got to look at the whole picture. You want to work an extra two to three hours per day to make the same money?

My personal opinion,and i am not "well off" by any means , is (for example)i'd rather pay £40 for a facial then £15!! Because in mind i tend to think if something is TOO CHEAP god knows what he.she.they are using.

I wonder how many clients think when they see a cheap shellac that its not real.

Work less,earn more :wink2:

Thank you for this post! It's so true and I hope this will open eyes to many nail techs.
The other truth is that by charging cheap prices nail techs are attracting "wrong" customers or let's say customers who are not looking for quality, not generally looking after their nails and do not appreciate professional service. That leads to complaints later and bad word of mouth.
Ladies who look after themselves appreciate good service, products and quality and are ready to pay for it accordingly. These are the customers who turn into great regulars.

Thank you for sharing, well said.

It could be argued that there are some people who just always think "cheap"; it is part of their way of life. Everything they do, will be cheap. It is always a "what's in in for me" situation for them.

They do not do things by from the heart, they are are not passionate and respectful to their customers. They want to earn money quickly, all that is attached to it.

According to some, painting nails isn't rocket science is it?
Way off the subject, but I had a client yesterday who was almost telling me how to do her nails. When I finished, she said "I could have never done this at home."

As for clients reading this post, I'd like them to, let them know how serious some of us are with our career.

And while on the subject, if say, I was charging £20 for a set of nails, overlay, for a certain famous brand, and the girl down the road is charging £25 , overlay for the exact famous brand, wouldn't people come to me more ? So I make more money than her..

Work smarter not harder! It makes for a better work / life balance :)

Off the topic, lol.

Pricing is always a difficult one. Personally, I price to cover my expenses and experience and to attract a certain type of clientele. It's that thing again about pricing yourself out of the market, or pricing yourself within.

If I feel as if I have underpriced something, it bothers me and I feel really undervalued and annoyed with myself. I don't think I am greedy so I woudln't over charge. Treat people the way you want to be treated.

Not necessarily, it depends on quality of work, professionalism etc not just on price IMO :) & it would only take her charging £25.00 4 clients to make £100, it would take you charging £20 5 clients to make £100. So effectively your doing more work for less money, an not necessarily making more money in the long run :)
I charge £25.00 and am way busier than the girl up the road charging £18.00 same brand, different standards :) xxxxx

As the others have said ....and also just because 2 techs are using the same products doesn't necessarily mean they are of the same standard....the girl charging more may because of experience have no lifting, do a new set/rebalance in an hour & a bit and have a keener eye so her finish is nicer in which case she will be worth the extra .

It's a hard one for newbies really...they need the practise to get their speed and the quality of their nails up and yet they struggle to get clients who can afford 2hours or more to have their nails done.

Work smarter not harder! It makes for a better work / life balance :)

Winnie;
Geeg and Cholo and a few others have given you brilliant replies to your question.
Also, you've got it backwards... you actually make less.
Why?
For every client, you need: towels, cleansers, nail files, soaps, disinfectants etc etc etc... You're forgetting those on top of basic product costs.
AND it takes more electricity & water to service two clients than it does one (so add that to the cost of services as well).
Plus you have more laundry to wash (increases service cost) and if you are mobile, add more wear and tear and price of gas on top of that.

SO that five dollar/pound/euro difference might (assuming you offer equal skills as competitor) is costing YOU more.

As pointed out: work smarter, not harder.

I also don't understand when people price for example Shellac with cuticle work and without; offering 2 different prices. Shouldn't Shellac always include cuticle work/PEP, very misleading to clients &#128516;

I also don't understand when people price for example Shellac with cuticle work and without; offering 2 different prices. Shouldn't Shellac always include cuticle work/PEP, very misleading to clients &#128516;

Thank you!:hug:
No PEP - service breakdown!!

What I don't really understand about nail techs is this idea that you should all charge the same. It wouldn't occur to me to charge the same as the girl down the road. If someone said (and this happened once), that a mobile will come to their house and cut their hair for five pounds, I'd simply say 'good for you, I charge 50' I wouldn't dream of bothering to compete.
Some of you are massively experienced, fast, and great at what you do. Charge for that experience rather than worry about messer Mary down the road working for buttons.

I know persianista,I was asking the question as a lot newbies would want to ask it, but dont dare.

I was charging a percentage higher than most round my parts for acrylics, but I had nobody for 2 years. But when I brought the price down on par with everyone else I had loads of acrylic customers, and (despite my new avatar) they keep coming back for more !

My personal opinion,and i am not "well off" by any means , is (for example)i'd rather pay £40 for a facial then £15!! Because in mind i tend to think if something is TOO CHEAP god knows what he.she.they are using.

I wonder how many clients think when they see a cheap shellac that its not real.

Work less,earn more :wink2:

Completely off topic but Louisenewell I want those nails like your picture!!! :-D beautiful

I know persianista,I was asking the question as a lot newbies would want to ask it, but dont dare.

I was charging a percentage higher than most round my parts for acrylics, but I had nobody for 2 years. But when I brought the price down on par with everyone else I had loads of acrylic customers, and (despite my new avatar) they keep coming back for more !

My price for L&P enhancements is £5 less than it was 10 years ago and I am still the highest in my area! I haven't had a new enhancement client for a couple of years either (still have my loyal regulars) probably because of this. Do I care? Not a jot!
I don't want my day filled with enhancement clients as it is less profitable. I have a nice mix of treatments which keeps me happy and motivated, but I know it is the Shellac & Gelish manicures I do that makes more profit...and less wear and tear on me!
If I reduced my enhancement price to the other techs in my area it would be almost the same as my 3 week UV manicure price and I can do that in half the time!
Why would I want to halve my income?

I understand exactly what your're saying Izzydoll, maybe i'm odd, but I enjoy doing acrylics extensions more than gel overlay. So I want people to have them, but I must admit if someone asks me for a gel ovrlay I rub my hands with glee !!

Completely off topic but Louisenewell I want those nails like your picture!!! :-D beautiful

they are georgeous arent they ? (not as good as mine tho) llloooollo only kiddin.

Latest posts

Back