Working the city

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahd

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Does anyone work around the london city area? do you find its easier to get clients? and how do you advertise?

Sarah d x

I used to work in London but was salon based.

Where are you based in London? Are you freelance? You could do a mailshot to all the blue chip companies. You are not short of people but I do think the demand would be for natural nail care due to the time constraints.

You could also approach a couple of the big companies with a view to being based there one or two days a week. Great opportunities in London.

Why not pm Ruth (aka NailsInLondon1) who is based at Cannon Street.

hi,

im not actually living in london im just outside of london in essex about 30mins away.
I would rather rent out room in either the westend or the city. as i do not drive at the moment.
I only do natural nails anyway so thats good.
I have worked in the westend for over 2 years but that was salon based and iv now decided to go it alone.

x

Hello,

My name is Heidi and i am a newly qualified nail tech. i am desperatley trying to find some work in the nail industry but dont seem to have much luck without having an NVQ. I have studied with Creative and feel like it was a complete waste of time and money as i should have really done an NvQ. is this the case all around London? Do you know of anywhere that i could ttry that doesnt reqiure one? Or do you think that i am better of trying to go mobile? If so, where shall i begin?

Sorry for all the questions.

From a very keen but frustrated artist

Heidi x

Heidi, if you have trained with Creative, why not pm Mrs Geek on here (Samantha) who is one of the directors of Sweet Squared, the Creative distributors for UK. I am sure she has told us in the past of how they do know of salons looking for technicians in many places, so there is a good chance the London area is one.

I personally find the NVQ standard...even though it is supposed to be a standard....differs vastly from area to area, and a lot of information that is taught is outdated, as some college lecturers sadly don't always keep themselves up to date with new products and skills. (Please college lectureres...i said some!)

Whereas Creative education is at least consistently of a high standard, and any salon with the right ethics, should recognise that!

Good luck!

Hi,
I used to work in Business development with salons in London.
The main points, have really already been mentioned here, but it depends what sort of area/ clients you want to work with.
In the City you will be working weekdays, not weekends, with professionals who will be interested in quick in and out services, lunch time services are very popular. There does tend to be a lot more money there, and actually not that much competition- most are directed towards men.
Or you could look in slightly more residential areas, which are very affluent, but people have more time and are looking for more luxury services.
But yes, competition can be hard in these areas, and you'd really need to have a bold USP so that you can stand out from the others.
Hth.

Latest posts

Back