Worried about training staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanned

Reaction score
Does any worry about training staff incase they leave?
I want to send one of us from the salon on a lash course, I would like to send a member of staff but feel it would be a safer option if I went and did the course

Does any worry about training staff incase they leave?
I want to send one of us from the salon on a lash course, I would like to send a member of staff but feel it would be a safer option if I went and did the course

This is tricky, in my eyes if you pay for it the certificate its yours, if the products are only available to a technitian trained in that product I would speak to the company and generally they are really good at keeping all the details under the salon owner.
Xx

Some salons have a contract that if the therapist leaves within a set time after each course (set by salon owner) they have to pay back relevant course fees. x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

We had it written in our contract, that if you leave within x amount of time, after being sent on further training. You paid a % back. The amount payable back decreased over a period of time. Hope that makes sense. We made employees work a week in hand to cover this.

This is tricky, in my eyes if you pay for it the certificate its yours, if the products are only available to a technitian trained in that product I would speak to the company and generally they are really good at keeping all the details under the salon owner.
Xx

I understand your implication but it's a bit like saying, your parents paid for your education, so any qualifications you obtained at school are theirs and not yours.

If an employee has completed training, they are insured to carry out the service. Therefore, they should be allowed to keep the certificate as it's proof that they have undertaken the training and the certificate cannot be used by anyone else.

As others have said, it's much better to have something written into the contract that lawfully allows deductions from salary, if an employee leaves within a specified amount of time. Piece of mind for the employer and certainty for the employee.

However, it is vital that you ensure any such clause in a contract is drafted or checked over by a legal professional with experience of current employment law.
If you belong to a trade association, they can usually provide helpful advice in these matters.

If not, you could find that an employee can sue for unlawful deduction of wages. Just because the employee has signed the contract doesn't mean it's enforceable. A tribunal can decide the terms are unfair and find in favour of the employee.

(Unfair according to law as opposed to morally unfair. There is a difference!)

Thank you all, great advice. It's really put my mind at rest xxx

If an employee does training, any certificate they receive is theirs - regardless of who paid for the training!

I always worry about sending staff to training in case they leave and I do have it written into the contract that if they leave within a certain amount of time they need to pay back the training costs. But it's not the cost that worries me, it's the new skill they've learned that they could then take to the competition and start working for them. Or go out on their own.

But there is a saying I think about all the time. It's something like "which is worse - sending staff to training and have them leave? Or don't do the training and have them stay working for you". Makes you think....

LVL lashes told me that the owner owns the certificate.

But the certificate doesn't have your name on it so why keep it?

Don't shoot the messenger! Just the way they operate, they won't sell to anyone who didn't pay for their certificate unless they have had confirmation from whoever did pay for it.

That's an interesting idea but I'm not sure I understand why they do it that way?
I think I've probably misunderstood.

So, to clarify, as the business paid for the training, they can purchase the products even if the trained therapist leaves?

But the trained therapist can't actually purchase the products unless you agree to it?

It's to protect the owner of the account. If the therapist wants to set up their account they will first check with the salon owner. The therapist will then have to pay to start their own account. This is the same with HD brows and bio sculpture.

Pay to open an account??!!

I've just paid to send two of my staff on HD Brow training, they told me that I own the certificates unless I want to release them (which I would do after a year) and if my staff leave they have to pay to open an account with them and pay for their certificate. HD Brows do it to protect their brand and salon/account holder.

So you've already had to pay to train them but if they were to leave they'd have to pay again to be allowed to pay more money to buy product from them? They get paid twice for training one person? I don't understand why they would have to pay to be allowed to buy products. I understand protecting the salons but that's the salons problem, not HD or any other training provider. Money making scam.

I think the money they would have to pay would be for the full kit, to open the account.

I understand your implication but it's a bit like saying, your parents paid for your education, so any qualifications you obtained at school are theirs and not yours.

If an employee has completed training, they are insured to carry out the service. Therefore, they should be allowed to keep the certificate as it's proof that they have undertaken the training and the certificate cannot be used by anyone else.

As others have said, it's much better to have something written into the contract that lawfully allows deductions from salary, if an employee leaves within a specified amount of time. Piece of mind for the employer and certainty for the employee.

However, it is vital that you ensure any such clause in a contract is drafted or checked over by a legal professional with experience of current employment law.
If you belong to a trade association, they can usually provide helpful advice in these matters.

If not, you could find that an employee can sue for unlawful deduction of wages. Just because the employee has signed the contract doesn't mean it's enforceable. A tribunal can decide the terms are unfair and find in favour of the employee.

(Unfair according to law as opposed to morally unfair. There is a difference!)

Of course it is better to be in a contract, I wasn't saying otherwise I said it was tricky and that in my eyes if you have paid for the training for business purposes it is yours, which is my personal opinion.
I wouldnt compare it to a parent paying for education because your employer isn't your parent, they have no moral obligation to financially assist an employee and by this time they would be of an independent adult age, for a £100 course fair enough but when it's in to the £1,000+ it's scary to think they can just up and leave.
X

I was surprised by how many salons that just do in house training with staff. It seems quite common practice, for the owner to do the training, then come back and train the staff. I do not know how they are covered for insurance etc. We were recruiting for a part time therapist with semi lash experience, and most people who applied had all been trained in house. Very few had an actual certificate. Has any one else come across this ? or was i just unlucky.

I was surprised by how many salons that just do in house training with staff. It seems quite common practice, for the owner to do the training, then come back and train the staff. I do not know how they are covered for insurance etc. We were recruiting for a part time therapist with semi lash experience, and most people who applied had all been trained in house. Very few had an actual certificate. Has any one else come across this ? or was i just unlucky.

I think sadly it is common practice but doesn't cover them under any insurance :)

"The only thing worse than training your employees and having them leave is not training them and having them stay." - Henry Ford

Latest posts

Back