Would HMRC contact you by email?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsHBeauty

Reaction score
Would HMRC email to let you know their investigation a to return?

I've had an email but I'm reluctant to open the file, surely they would write to me or call me? It all sounds fishy to me, but has me worried.

The was the text in the email:

Dear Member

Your 2013 tax return is under investigation, attached is a copy of the report. Kindly download, read and get back to us as soon as possible

Thanks

HM Revenue and Customs - Tax Report
Comben House
Farriers Way
Netherton
L75 1WB
United Kingdom
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/

Jemima :)

Hmm sounds dodgy - I would call them to confirm if they've sent it or not x

Good idea, I want into panic and didn't even think about that.

These emails seem to be going around my husband had one too and it was fake, just ignore it

These are usually viruses. You probably will have a zip file attachment on the email. Open it and your computer will be very unhappy unless you have very good anti virus software. I have never known yet the HMRC to contact anyone via email. I have seen them but never take any notice of it.

The other similar ones are from delivery companies saying a parcel is waiting at their depot. There isn't. They are viruses.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was told that if the letter from hmrc is not addressed to your name then not to reply and to contact them immediately by phone. A lot of these dear member emails are going around from 'hmrc'.

Thanks everyone I'm glad I'm suspicious. I've had the ones that say tax refund etc but is one panicked me, as I got my return in late and the account said I may get investigated, so I thought it was that.

I've rang and it's not true just delete the email.

It did have a zip file attached.

It's a scam. I posted the exact same email up to warn people about 3 months ago :)

Delete it and block the sender.

They would never contact you by email. Its always by letter. We get loads of letters from HMRC. Little brown window faced envelopes.

Never answer or open attachments of any email that calls you 'Dear member'.
They are scam. Don't send them any information.
HMRC know your full name and if they want to send you an email (which is very unlikely) they will mention your full name (it's important to notice the spelling as well).
I get them all the time from my bank and paypal. I just report them as spam.

Also have a look at who it's from. Often it's some totally random address. I posted on here the other day that I had one saying my blood test results were back showing signs of cancer. Please download attached info and take to your gp. Nice.
I've also had a very convincing one looking like it's from Facebook. Click here to see your new messages.
Good job I'm to busy to faff around with these emails. I just delete!
The only thing I have from hmrc is usually a confirmation that a payment is received but never anything to download. I get lots telling me I've overpaid my tax and I'm due a rebate but sadly know they're a hoax as well!

Vic x

I'm sure it would be hmrc.gov.uk or something not just co.uk.

Mobile Manicure is correct, they wouldn't contact you by email. Especially not for an enquiry! Same applies to these emails regarding tax repayments

Latest posts

Back