Would using a primer extend the life of Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexx

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

As in the title, do you think using acid or non acid primer would extend the life of Shellac?
(CND Nail Prime, or other companies)

Thank you
X

There are techs who use a primer under gel polish with success, I think the only down side is removal can take longer. I've used Young Nails Protien Bond on the free edge of one of my serial chipping clients, worked really well but by god was it a pain to get off at removal!!! :confused:

Young Nails Protein Bond

Last edited:
There are techs who use a primer under gel polish with success, I think the only down side is removal can take longer. I've used Young Nails Protien Bond on the free edge of one of my serial chipping clients, worked really well but by god was it a pain to get off at removal!!! :confused:

Thank you Trinity,
As always you come up with brilliant answer :)
I'm just starting and used new duraforce top coat and 3 clients had chip or lift at the free edge after just few days.
It took me a while to figure out what was different with those 3 customers as I do all the steps by the book. Not thinking that the top coat might be an issue I thought of ways to make sure that doesn't happen again. Hence the idea, to maybe start using primer or acid primer pen on the free edge before every application? I'm new and I'm scared of anyone being dissatisfied with my services.

P.s. I just took my extensions off and will do Shellac with Original top coat on every other finger and Duraforce on the rest, to make sure it was the top coats fault not my application x

Thank you Trinity,
As always you come up with brilliant answer :)
I'm just starting and used new duraforce top coat and 3 clients had chip or lift at the free edge after just few days.
It took me a while to figure out what was different with those 3 customers as I do all the steps by the book. Not thinking that the top coat might be an issue I thought of ways to make sure that doesn't happen again. Hence the idea, to maybe start using primer or acid primer pen on the free edge before every application? I'm new and I'm scared of anyone being dissatisfied with my services.

P.s. I just took my extensions off and will do Shellac with Original top coat on every other finger and Duraforce on the rest, to make sure it was the top coats fault not my application x

I've quit using Duraforce due to peeling issues, chipping I can deal with but when it then peels off in one whole sheet thats unacceptable to me for my clients, so back to the original for me

I've quit using Duraforce due to peeling issues, chipping I can deal with but when it then peels off in one whole sheet thats unacceptable to me for my clients, so back to the original for me
I've had the same issue, changed back to original top coat and all is well again.

I've had the same issue, changed back to original top coat and all is well again.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm 100% convinced its the product, I'm not new to the game, I'm legit CND products purchased from S2 all the way and Duraforce is the only time it happens.

I'm finding the Duraforce top coat fantastic, but I didn't get on with the Express 5 top coat or the new LED lamp

Thank you for all your comments ladies! I'm just testing Duraforce on myself.
After that I will test CJP acid primer pen and original top coat x

I'm finding Duraforce really good for the clients with softer, bendy nails. I do:
  • Base coat x1 & cure
  • Duraforce x1 & cure
  • 2 coats of colour with curing
  • Duraforce x1 & cure.

All CND products and prep. as standard.
They definitely have more left on their nails when coming back for another set 2-3 weeks later.
If you use a nude colour, regrowth / wear & tear doesn't show so much!

Protein bond seems to be the popular choice for techs using primer under gel polish and most that I have heard of, use it just on the free edge. I only bust out my primer for gel polish clients if their polish isn't lasting like it does for other people and after I've exhausted my other options as it does make removal longer/harder.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm 100% convinced its the product, I'm not new to the game, I'm legit CND products purchased from S2 all the way and Duraforce is the only time it happens.
Same here, CND all the way for years. Hope you've found that going back to the original top coat solved the issues.

Same here, CND all the way for years. Hope you've found that going back to the original top coat solved the issues.

Yep, all good again now, no issues with original top coat on the clients who had issues with Duraforce

Thank you Kellsy, I had no complaints so far, so I guess problem solved

Thank you Kellsy, I had no complaints so far, so I guess problem solved
Hi, what did you find worked best in the end please? I've got a couple of ladies who struggle with their Shellac lasting.

Hi, what did you find worked best in the end please? I've got a couple of ladies who struggle with their Shellac lasting.
Hi Cei,
I changed top coat- and use only original top coat.
Did it help? I don't know, but I didn't have any complaints so far.

I did Shellac with original top coat twice to receptionist at the salon, and she got roughly 10 days before first chip. Which she says it's good ( she wash bleach bowls and coffee cups with no gloves)

Personally I don't get on with Shellac at all. I took my extensions off and did every second finger with duraforce and original. I got 6 days ( original chipped first)

I've done 5 courses with CND and before I started trading I was CND obsessed.
Now after working at the salon for a month I slowly start thinking of changing to different brands.
Unfortunately I bought almost every Shellac colour,
so for financial reasons I'll be doing Shellac for another year.
In my opinion the boom for Shellac finished years ago. People don't care about brands anymore, or how easy they are to remove. People just want it to stay on.
I removed few other brands ( and yes! It was a nightmare to remove) but gel polish was amazingly shiny, no chips, no wear and tear.
I'm doing efile course (Saeyang k-38) in 2 weeks, so removal of different brands won't be a problem ( quick buff of the top coat and wraps).

What's your thoughts guys?x

Hi Cei,
I changed top coat- and use only original top coat.
Did it help? I don't know, but I didn't have any complaints so far.

I did Shellac with original top coat twice to receptionist at the salon, and she got roughly 10 days before first chip. Which she says it's good ( she wash bleach bowls and coffee cups with no gloves)

Personally I don't get on with Shellac at all. I took my extensions off and did every second finger with duraforce and original. I got 6 days ( original chipped first)

I've done 5 courses with CND and before I started trading I was CND obsessed.
Now after working at the salon for a month I slowly start thinking of changing to different brands.
Unfortunately I bought almost every Shellac colour,
so for financial reasons I'll be doing Shellac for another year.
In my opinion the boom for Shellac finished years ago. People don't care about brands anymore, or how easy they are to remove. People just want it to stay on.
I removed few other brands ( and yes! It was a nightmare to remove) but gel polish was amazingly shiny, no chips, no wear and tear.
I'm doing efile course (Saeyang k-38) in 2 weeks, so removal of different brands won't be a problem ( quick buff of the top coat and wraps).

What's your thoughts guys?x

Fingers crossed that the original top coat works. I've ordered the Protein Bond and I've also started using IBX.

I've only been qualified since April (Shellac) so it's early days for me. I have some clients who can go 2-3 weeks and others who go a few days before a chip. I think it depends on how healthy the nails are to start with.

Good luck with your efile course.

I assume you can still use the original top coat with the new led lamp??

Latest posts

Back