Would you call me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoxHannaHxox

Reaction score
:o

Hello!

I am hoping someone may be able to give me some advice on employment as things are so difficult out there at the moment, especially where I live in Nr kidderminster, Worcestershire. I have just qualified level 2 and can't seem to find anyone who would want me as I have no salon experience apart from my college salon and not yet qualified in level 3. I am starting level 3 in September and I am only in college on a Wednesday and Friday (both long days.)

I am going to go out there loaded with my CV and cover letter and hand it out in person with a copy of my certificate of Insurance with The Guild. I was wondering if anyone could have a peek at my cover letter and let me know what I could improve on or add in? I have just done a Bride's make up and didnt know whether to mention that? Here it is (sorry it's long)... :sad:

Dear recruitment manager,

I have just finished studying Beauty Therapy at Worcester College I am now Level 2 qualified. I have been looking for a Therapist position in a well-respected establishment such as yours and I am writing to you in the hope that that you may have a suitable vacancy.

I have worked continuously, part time in retail since 2007 including working for the company Bare Minerals as a Cosmetic Advisor. After completing my A Levels in 2009 I have worked temporary roles in call centres and reception based roles which have also given me a lot of experience working with the general public. I have good communication skills and the ability to interact with people at all levels. I have had a lot of involvement achieving predetermined sales targets and working on commission.

I am competent in waxing, manicure, pedicure, eye treatments and providing make up services and have trained with Tigi, Joico, Dermalogica Face Mapping, Nailtiques, and Sienna X. In the next few months I will have certified training in spray and manual tanning with Fake Bake. I have been accepted to progress on to Level 3 in September and I am looking forward to diversifying my skills through learning advanced treatments such as CACI Non surgical facelifts, electrotherapy and massage which I would hope to fit around employment. I will be starting Level 3 on September 7th and attending college on a Wednesday and Friday.

I have an NVQ Level 2 in Hairdressing which I obtained last year through night classes whilst working full time and part time which demonstrates my commitment to hard work and enthusiasm, however my dream has always been to work within the Beauty Industry. I feel my strong sense of duty to ensure exceptional care and satisfaction along with my natural passion for the environment I would be working in, will ensure repeat clients and harmonious relationships with my colleagues too.

I am flexible and would be grateful for the opportunity to come in and discuss full time, part time, voluntary work and holiday/sickness cover for your Salon.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Warm regards,

Hannah Taylor.

Hi can't give you much advice as I am kinda in the same situation as you the letter seems good, perhaps could list exactly what treatments you can do instead of just saying eye treatments and be more specific with spray tan training. And make sure all fits onto one page

I have decided to go mobile as it can be hard being only level 2 trained but will still look for jobs. Least your doing level 3 so will work in your favour, good luck I am sure some other more experienced geeks will give some good advice.

Id be impressed with a letter like that. BUT I really wouldnt be intrested in a level 2 therapist for a permanant position but for temp work I would.

Im sure you'll find somewhere just keep going, you sound very determined.

I'm a careers adviser. What you ought to be doing is separating out that info into both a covering letter and CV.

The average time spent looking at a CV/cov letter is 30 seconds so yours is too long I'm afraid.

The purpose of the covering letter is to introduce yourself & what you're after. The CV holds the facts. If it were me I'd find it too difficult to find the info I needed.

Jx

Just a teeny point, in line two you've put 'that' twice. Best of luck x

I'm a careers adviser. What you ought to be doing is separating out that info into both a covering letter and CV.

The average time spent looking at a CV/cov letter is 30 seconds so yours is too long I'm afraid.

The purpose of the covering letter is to introduce yourself & what you're after. The CV holds the facts. If it were me I'd find it too difficult to find the info I needed.

Jx

I agree unfortunately.
Your letter is fabulous, well thought out and really makes you sound worth employing but it is a letter. You need a short cover note introducing yourself and a short CV bullet pointing your skills and then elaborating. You need to catch their attention immediately. Imagine having to read through hundreds of similar letters to yours. You would get impatient and pick out the short succinct ones. Good luck, you are defenitely on the right track but a bit of shuffling about and you will have a good CV and letter

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back