Would you expect your employer to purchase your scissors?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salon90

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently taken on my self employed stylist as employed. I have asked him to purchase some new scissors as I think he is due for some. I've told him that I would match whatever he puts in so he can buy a good pair. He has just mentioned that he cant afford it at the moment as he has just come back off holiday and has another holiday to pay for, christmas and other events. I don't think his priorities are right and that he should really invest in things that will be beneficial for him in the long run (business man thinking). Now I am thinking does he think I should buy them for him because I have paid for everything else. Anyway's any help on this would be great and what scissors would you recommend and the importance of a good pair.

Thanks

Of course he should buy his own scissors. He could probably just have his current pair sharpened properly to buy him some more time to afford a new pair. I have to say I don't understand why you would be commenting on his tools? If he is happy with their performance than that is what matters.

Hi,

I have recently taken on my self employed stylist as employed. I have asked him to purchase some new scissors as I think he is due for some. I've told him that I would match whatever he puts in so he can buy a good pair. He has just mentioned that he cant afford it at the moment as he has just come back off holiday and has another holiday to pay for, christmas and other events. I don't think his priorities are right and that he should really invest in things that will be beneficial for him in the long run (business man thinking). Now I am thinking does he think I should buy them for him because I have paid for everything else. Anyway's any help on this would be great and what scissors would you recommend and the importance of a good pair.

Thanks

I agree with what the other poster had said if he's happy with what he's using and there hasn't been any complaints about his cutting then i wouldn't worry, old scissors are just as good as new one's when they get re-sharpend.

I'd personally feel very offended! My scissors are my very personal item!

They are his scissors if he is comfortable with them and doing a good job and has no complaints than i dont see why you feel the need to tell him buy new ones.x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

technicaly if he is employed u should pay for his tools of the trade.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

Sorry it wasn't an attack on my stylist. He had his current pair re-sharpened a while ago, after a while he decided he needed a new pair and so purchased a some which are in no condition to be used, so he has gone back to using his old pair of scissors. As he has come on an employed basis i've asked him to look at buying a new pair and that i will put 50% toward it so he can get a really good pair. I've noticed that the scissors do need sharpening, so i will just ask him to do that.

If i was employed I'd expect to be provided with the tools to do my job with.
It'd be a bit like asking an employed beauty therapist to bring her own wax pot :green:
however if i was 'self' employed renting space within a salon that would be a different matter id provide all my own products and tools.
Just my opinion :)

If I was employed by a salon by no means would I use their scissors or dryer, my scissors are my baby's, I'm happy with their performance and so are my clients, iv tried other dryers at salons and unless it was a parlux 3200 or higher with the wide nozzle I find them too difficult to use and end up with what I deem sub standard blowdries.
I think I would have to tell them where to go if I was told to buy new equipment because an employer dosnt like them. Also you say he needs his priorities straight, if he wants a holiday and to buy gifts then its his prerogative to, if he was coming in hung over or spending on holidays etc... While bills were being left then yes he needs to get them right, but in this instance, although you have been generous offering to match his input, if he can't afford new scissors, doesn't want new scissors, then it is not your place to dictate what he buys.

Sorry to be blunt (pardon the pun) xoxo

i would never expect my employer to buy my scissors, tools of the trade or not, I think if you are a hairdresser they are grafted onto your hand during training, you take them home with you and guard them like a lioness with her cubs! I use jaguar satin scissors which aren't massively expensive but I find them great.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will ask him tomorrow to see what he would like to do.

i see why u would want to buy ur own, but the employer should provide them (if you choose to.use ur own then so be it)

lets look at another situation. i have a medical background. I had my own stephascope, I was liked my own. lets say i get a 999 call to you, and didnt bring my own, and you died as I missed a serious lung injury. would your family be ok with that when I said I had no stephascope that was vital to my job because the service would npt pay for it???

drastic example I know but same principle.

I agree with others that my scissors are personal to me. It's something that only you know if they feel right. However old and battered they might look, if they work for him then that's fine, and as for you commenting on his personal life, unless it spills over into work it really is none of your business - and I don't mean that in a horrible way, I just couldn't think of a better way to say it xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALL hairdressers buy their own scissors whether they're employed OR self employed. If not then it would mean they wouldn't be able to use them outside work as the scissors belong to the salon and not the stylist, although if an employer wanted to buy me a £500 pair then I wouldn't moan lol!

It's good of you to offer half towards the price Salon90, but if he can't afford it then he can't afford it, it doesn't mean he's not getting his priorities right, there is life outside of work :)

that may be the case, but im talking from a legal opinion.

in reality its not the employeers.job to worry about how they cope.out of.work.

i get that most do buy their own. But i reakon any legal.expert would argue they should be provided.

that may be the case, but im talking from a legal opinion.

in reality its not the employeers.job to worry about how they cope.out of.work.

i get that most do buy their own. But i reakon any legal.expert would argue they should be provided.

Really? Never heard of that one. So if I can only use a £500 pair of scissors, the employer must but them for me?
In all my 28 years of hairdressing, I have never expected an employer to buy me my scissors and none of them have offered to buy them for me either lol

Really? Never heard of that one. So if I can only use a £500 pair of scissors, the employer must but them for me?
In all my 28 years of hairdressing, I have never expected an employer to buy me my scissors and none of them have offered to buy them for me either lol

Same here I've worked in quite a few salons and never ever had my scissors bought for me, I've worked in a well know top salon in Liverpool and all employees had to provide their own scissors also we had to use all our own brushes and hairdryer too xxx

I've never heard of a salon buying tools for the stylists. Our tools are far to precious to be left to others. I buy my own tools and they are MY property for life. If you care for your scissors properly they last for several years, if not a lifetime.

dont u have a scissor guy come around. when i worked in london a scissor guy would sell expensive quality scissors we could pay for monthly. alternatively you could pay over him and tell him you are docking his wages x amount per month. if anyone touches my scissors i go mad. my dad posted them for me once i left them in wales and had them posted to london i though they d got lost in post i went mental with royal mail cause they took ages to get to me. lol

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

dont u have a scissor guy come around. when i worked in london a scissor guy would sell expensive quality scissors we could pay for monthly. alternatively you could pay over him and tell him you are docking his wages x amount per month. if anyone touches my scissors i go mad. my dad posted them for me once i left them in wales and had them posted to london i though they d got lost in post i went mental with royal mail cause they took ages to get to me. lol

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Docking his wages for a pair of scissors, can that seriously be done?
I wouldn't be too impressd if I worked in a salon and my boss docked my wages. Xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back